Ethical Dilemma?

clin_psych_or_bust

Thus far in my short "career" in psychology, I have been fortunate to not face any professional dilemmas. In my ethics course, we need to think of an ethical dilemma that can be argued from both sides. One that neither answer is the clear-cut the right choice based on the ethics code, any applicable codes in that area, and local laws, etc.

Has anyone faced any such dilemma in their professional life (whether working as a research assistant, psych student, etc.?) For example, one such dilemma a friend is using is: as an RA on a concussion study for big ten football teams, they were exposing participants to bright lights. Thus, they asked participants if they had any history of seizures. One participant did indicate this, and obviously, not wanting to induce a seizure, she did not allow him to continue in the study. However, her dilemma came when she went to decide if she should report this to the coaching staff (as they were unaware and he never received medical follow-up after the seizure). He begged her not to saying he would lose his football scholarship, not be able to continue playing/school, etc. On the other hand, was his safety at risk if he continued to play and had a seizure on the field?

Any suggestions/examples you have would be appreciated. They do not have to be in the field of psychology (they can be a professional dilemma in any field in which you work with people), but psychology would be preferable.

Participants are usually assured of their confidentiality and it would be a serious breech of that trust if your RA friend disclosed sensitive health information about a participant to his coaches. I really, really hope that didn't happen. If I were the player and lost my scholarship because of that, I would take my consent form where it says "your responses will be kept confidential", march over to a lawyer, and sue their asses.

....other examples, I have none.

• 2 weeks later...