Film, Cinema, and Visual Studies –– 2013

Swagato

My personal rankings were:

Placement (tied to faculty in some ways)

Funding

Faculty 

Social culture/atmosphere

Resources/opportunities

That said, the best advice I've received is to "go with your gut." Two to three years of your life (or 5-7 if you continue on for the PhD) is too much time to go anywhere you would be miserable. In the end, what kind of atmosphere do you think would best support the kind of work you want to do while keeping you monetarily and emotionally happy? If you don't think you would be happy in a particular program (even if it is for something as "petty" as the social culture), I'd be wary about going there. Grad school is tough as it is.

Also, do NOT go anywhere that isn't funding you adequately. Going into debt is NOT worth it. I'd say this is a deal-breaker.

@swingtime - If I were in your shoes, I would definitely say no to NYU (based on funding and placement...it seems like their MAs have a better chance of getting into USC or UCLA than NYU itself, so why not start making a place for yourself at one of those schools at the MA level?). Then get a feel for whether you prefer USC or UCLA.  I think USC might be a little bit better for your interests...I can't think of anyone at UCLA who would be a clear fit for your topic, although you probably know the faculty better than I do!

Also, I wouldn't worry so much about staying at one school for multiple degrees. I know many people that have done this, including one of my undergrad professors, who's a star and has all three from UCLA. 

Edited by edenetapres