Film, Cinema, and Visual Studies –– 2013

Swagato

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Thanks for being there with me, you guys. Mostly I am just looking for more opinions of my potential programs. I was film/English double major in undergrad so my list may be different than some. Here's what I've got:

Accepted: UW-Madison (MA to PhD), Indiana (MA), Emory (MA), UPenn (English PhD with film specialization), Iowa (PhD), UCLA (MA)

Rejected: Brown, Duke, Northwestern

Any ideas, opinions, or advice would be great! Thanks!

So...are we all done for this round? It looks like most of us have more or less decided where we're headed, or we're in the final stages of deliberations (visits, etc.). I think every program has announced its decisions by now--anyone still waiting?

The only place I've yet to hear back from is U. Iowa.... I know people who have already gotten rejected by them and I assume I am rejected, I just don't understand why my ISIS page hasn't updated to say rejected yet.

I emailed the film studies office to check on my app and they said it was still being reviewed... I don't get it. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Still haven't heard from NYU's Cinema Studies MA.  They're killin me over here!  Absolutely nothing on the results board yet, just a few PhD admits.  This is driving me absolutely nuts, I just want to know, officially.

In at NYU!  No funding so I can't afford to go, but the acceptance feels good (especially because it means the waiting is over!), and this gives me some hope for a PhD acceptance in 2 years.

Yep, this is my second time applying.  I made a couple fatal flaws my first time 'round: shooting to high (of 5 apps, 3 were for PhDs with no MA - what was I thinking!?), and an over-long personal statement that was totally lacking focus.

I'm going to be going with MSU because they've offered me some very generous funding - a teaching package that includes a tuition waiver, a ~$13,500 stipend, health insurance and a couple other benefits, as well as nomination for a fellowship.  Additionally, since I did my undergrad here and have stayed in the area, I already have my old student job lined up again starting this summer (and it's a job I know I can handle on top of classes - it's stupidly easy and there is almost always time to study/do homework on any given shift).

MSU was my last choice simply because they don't have an MA that is specifically film/media.  But we have an incredible film studies faculty within the English department, many of whom I already have an excellent relationship with.  I'm sure I'll be able to work with them on keeping my work as media-centric as possible while still working in the confines of the English curriculum.

I just hope doing my BA(s) and MA in the same place doesn't look too bad when it comes time to apply for PhDs.  I'd have gladly gone elsewhere, but I can't justify another $30k/term in debt when I can get away with maybe no more debt, or if any, very little.

I'll be sending out my official notices to each program on Monday.  I'm just going to savor one more day of pretending I could be going to NYU in the fall, haha

I wouldn't worry too much about double-dipping for your BA and MA. I did both at one place and it has worked for me so far. In terms of jobs, I think employers are more interested in your PhD school than anything else. Just be sure that you don't stay at MSU for your doctorate.

Also, applying for PhD programs without a MA isn't as foolhardy as you think. Lots of people do it, and committees will evaluate your application based on your overall strengths and clarity of focus. And, hey, some applicants actually get in!

Given the funding and living situation that you already have established at MSU, I think you made a wise choice. Good luck in two years with the next go-around! Your personal statement will be much better next time, I promise (really, I'm mortified reading what I wrote for my MA applications a few years ago).

My personal observation has been that there is a definite trend toward admitting people with an MA over the past few years, in our field. Certainly, there are still admits straight from BA, but these tend to be either from places with really well-regarded film studies programs, or else the candidates are absolutely outstanding.

I don't know if there's a wider shift toward preferring MA admits. It's possible that the increasing professionalization of academia in general, combined with financial pressures, concerns over time to degree, etc. are causing adcomms to prefer applicants who demonstrate a highly developed sense of what a PhD involves (that is, even more so than in years past). 

While it may not necessarily be a direct correlation to my waitlist status, I'd still be interested to hear any updates from those admitted to UT Austin Media Studies PhD, and their final decisions. Feel free to PM, as always.

Edited by MediaAmbition

Hi Everyone,

Congrats to all of you who were accepted to MA and PhD programs! Unfortunately I struck out this year, but definitely made the mistake of shooting too high, applying only to a few very top PhD programs, and not putting enough time or thought into my application materials. Anyway, if any of you successful admittees have sage advice about strategies for strengthening my application for next year (never too soon to get started on that), please please do message me.

Good luck everyone making your decisions!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All-

I am new to the forum (and late the game  :unsure:), however, I applied to Fall 2013 Cinema Studies Programs. I ultimately want to become a film historian--my particular interests are in the American studio era, butI am also interested in British Cinema (how it relates to American Cinema) during the studio era. I ultimately want to receive my PhD, but it seems I was only accepted into MAs this year: UCLA, USC, and NYU. I really wanted to go to Columbia, but unfortunately received a rejection from them earlier this month. Do you have any insight into what school/program I was admitted into that may be best for preparing me for a PhD in this field? My real world film experience is extensive, but my academic/research endeavors definitely need some bulking up. Thank you in advance for your insight. 

Hi swingtime, 

Knowing relatively little about film history programs or faculty per say, I would imagine UCLA would be a good bet. I tend to associate USC with new media and NYU with production/preservation (though it does have Dana Polan). Again, this isn't really my niche, though.

All three of these schools are great options for film history. They all have great archives, and multiple faculty that do historical research. I'm not so sure about letmein's characterization of USC and NYU. These programs tend to be more wide-ranging in focus, since they are larger programs. (All three of these schools tend to put more money/attention into their production programs than their critical studies programs, and UCLA also has a strong preservation program). Since your interest area is broad enough to benefit from any of these programs at the MA level, I would urge you to also consider issues of department culture/funding/PhD admittance. Some things to think on...

NYU takes in a very, very large MA cohort. And NYU is known for giving preference to outside PhD applicants, which is not so of UCLA and USC.

I have heard from multiple MA and PhD grads that UCLA has had some structural problems for the past few years (faculty not getting along and things...though this might be changing as of late). Still, UCLA is worthy of strong consideration, along with USC. Both UCLA and USC will give inside applicants stronger consideration in the PhD application process.

You should definitely email a couple MA students at each of these programs and ask questions about opportunities to work close with faculty (at the MA level), department culture, and the likelihood of receiving funding in the second year of the MA. And this last one is important, assuming that you haven't been given much of a funding package at these programs (since most people aren't), and you should ask this of the faculty at each program too. I know the strongest MA students at USC can sometimes get TA-ships/fellowships during their second MA year, but I am not sure about the other programs.

Edited by ci1717

Thank you ci1717! I went to UCLA undergrad...do you think it's a problem to get an MA from the same school? I have spoken with the MAs at USC and UCLA and it seems that the faculty will respond to interest--so that's good. Does anyone know about NYU and about opportunities to work closely with faculty (at the MA level), department culture, and the likelihood of receiving funding in the second year of the MA?

It's pretty common for people to double-dip two of their three degrees at one institution (whether BA/MA or MA/PhD). As long as you go elsewhere for your PhD, I don't think that continuing at UCLA would be an "issue" on your CV. 

However, if you wished to do your doctoral work at UCLA, you might want to consider picking USC or NYU for the meantime.

Thank you! I also just have one more question. I am primarily intersted in two topic matters: American film history (studio era) specifically the American musical, as well as British and American Film of WWII. Out of the school's I have been accepted to (USC, UCLA, NYU), is there a "best place" for this? Thank you so much again!

Looks like this application cycle is finally and officially over for me, with IU the ultimate champion. Thank the maker that I won't have to suffer any application-related stress for the next several years (until I hit the job market, which promises to be worse). At the very least, I will never have to take the GRE again in my life.  B)

Where does everyone else stand at the end of all this? There are still a few people whose fates remain unknown (at least to me). 

Big thanks to everyone who took the time to post here and share anxieties and information over the past months. And for those of you I was able to meet in person at various recruiting events, see you around  :)

still running in circles trying to decide between phd's at uw-madison, northwestern, ucsb, and even just a masters at ut-austin. should know by now but quite simply don't.

quick poll: wondering how people rank the following factors when it comes to giving weight to each in the decision making process:

-faculty 

-social culture of department/students

-funding (more specifically, amount/number of guaranteed years of stipend assessed with cost of living)

-TA duties/opportunities

-other research opportunities

-other (e.g. professionalizing efforts by faculty, other professional opportunities in the location, semester vs quarter system, whatever is important to you, etc)