Film, Cinema, and Visual Studies –– 2013

Swagato

Personally, I've written Northwestern off. 

I'm far more stressed out over Chicago, which is not only one of my top choices, but is also mysteriously silent so far. Granted, an admit email was reported on this date in 2011, so they are within a reasonable timeframe. However, with all those Chicago departments sending out emails on a 1-2 day span just a few days ago, and today's flurry of Mathematics rejection emails, I'm increasingly worried that they have already notified and that it has simply bypassed this forum.

I've actually been trying to figure out which humanities depts. have notified and which haven't. Off-hand, could you name some? For some reason my mind's frazzled today, ha.

Just received email acceptance from Austin, including full funding details!!!  :) Huzzah!

I'm really shocked that UT sorted out its funding this early. I hope others have received good news in their inbox.

Every university seems to have its own submission system, and constructions of some of them are downright baffling. For instance, when I submitted my UT application, I received a new "UT EID" username and password to log me into the university's central services. In order to check my status, I would have to log into the UT network, scroll to a bottom link called "Admissions," click on another link for "Application Status," and finally "View Details" to get to the actual decisions page. Ay carumba!

I think most programs will send you an email directly if there is any change in your status (for good or ill). It's rarer that the application pages will be the first way you receive any decision updates. One exception is Northwestern, which has an apparent history of posting rejections to its website without bothering to inform applicants at all. But most other sites don't serve much purpose other than encouraging compulsive checking and refreshing...

Yes, please. Any information about the Chicago admit would be appreciated.

Edit: Principally, when did you receive the email, and was there any mention of cohort size?

Edited by Swagato

Pitt will more than likely notify this week. Will the Chicago admit really not come forth? I'm really keen on learning any other information available re: cohort size, possible waitlists, etc. 

hi all, haven't really followed this but here's what i've got so far--

accepted: UCSB, UT-Austin

interviewed at UW-Madison, Northwestern

haven't heard from anyone else (the usual lot)

madison says they're still waiting to see how many current students stay on and need funding

Hi, mynameistrinity!

Congrats on all the acceptances so far. We may be future colleagues at Austin or UCSB. :) 

More info on your experience with Northwestern would be appreciated. Are you a Screen Cultures applicant? Have they already done their interview weekend? Do you have any idea about class size, number of applications, etc?

Do the UCs tend to notify around the same time as one another? It seems like they are currently sending out a lot-- friends of mine have heard from Davis, San Diego and Santa Cruz all in the past week (not all film programs). Yet I haven't heard a peep from UCLA anywhere on here. Hmmmm?