Film, Cinema, and Visual Studies –– 2013

Swagato

Excellent. Do post more information when it is available!

Edit: You don't have any update yet regarding your UCSB application? That may well be a positive indicator.

Edited by Swagato

Nothing yet from UCSB. I'm hoping this means I survived the initial round of review, but who knows with these things. At any rate, IU was always slightly higher on my wish list than UC, so I already bagged one of my main prizes. Now, if only I could find out my status with Northwestern...

I hope some of the other folks here start hearing positive news!

Well, I guess I can write off USC then. Unless things are still moving--but if they were notifying people that early, I assume it's over by now. 

Edit: I contacted the department. Not all notifications have gone out yet. "Through the end of February."

Edited by Swagato

I just got my first acceptance!  UT-Austin has offered me a place in the Media Studies MA program for Fall 2013!  I can't get the smile off my face and my heart is pounding so hard!

After applying to several programs last year and only getting into UChicago's MAPH (I had applied to the Cinema Studies PhD) with no funding (making it impossible for me to go), this is such a huge weight off of my shoulders!  No word on funding yet, but the acceptance e-mail said that someone should be contacting me within the week with details and information about the department's recruitment campus visit.

I'm so happy I could die!  Hoping for a few other acceptances and the ability to shop around a bit, but this is such wonderful news!

I hope we hear from some more people with good news soon :)

Excellent news! The MAPH is definitely a fantastic program, but if you're receiving good funding for Austin's MA program, it's a great choice too. Your other targets--are they for MA, or PhD?

Berkeley and Northwestern are PhDs, Austin, Madison, and NYU are MAs, and then MSU is an English MA (MSU was my undergraduate university and I'm still in the area so I figured I'd go for it and use that as a building block toward a PhD if nothing else worked out).

I'd die if I got into Berkeley, but that was more of a "I'll regret it if I don't at least try" school rather than a "I really think I have a shot!" school, haha.

I'm just so elated to have gotten an acceptance this year!  Last year's round of rejections made me rather nervous, but my faith in my abilities has been restored!

Great news, glenna_rochelle! UT is a great program. Let us know if you manage to receive funding. I know the UT system can be a stickler for that.

Received a voicemail earlier this afternoon from UCSB notifying me that I have been accepted into their Film & Media Studies PhD program! It's a little too late in the day to call back, but I'll let the group know any pertinent info I find out when I talk to the program director tomorrow.  :)

Edited by letmein

Great news, glenna_rochelle! UT is a great program. Let us know if you manage to receive funding. I know the UT system can be a stickler for that.

Received a voicemail earlier this afternoon from UCSB notifying me that I have been accepted into their Film & Media Studies PhD program! It's a little too late in the day to call back, but I'll let the group know any pertinent info I find out when I talk to the program director tomorrow.  :)

AH! Letmein! After you said you got a voicemail, I checked mine and got one, too!! Congrats to you! I hope more good news came to people on the boards!

Hi all - was thrilled to find this  - I'm going a little crazy playing the waiting game, too.  Applied to 10 Comm/media studies programs.  Had a phone interview with one a few days ago and have yet to hear from them.  Got one acceptance yesterday. 

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations everyone!

@ErnestPWorrell and whoever else may know --

With UT -- will they be informing acceptances, rejections, and wait-lists (something they seem to commonly do) all within the week?

I was told that I'd hear back regarding my PhD app within the week. So, yeah, I'm assuming. 

Congratulations to the UCSB admits! Now I'm regretting having not applied there if only to have heard back from somewhere by now!

Does anyone know the ballpark stats for the programs we are applying to? How many apply, for how many spots? A friend of mine was rejected from a History PhD program at Johns Hopkins and they told him there were 200 applicants for 11 spots. Since hearing that I've been curious about our potential schools.

Bah. Made an overly compromising post. Let's say the top few programs will admit ~5 out of ~200 applicants. 

Edited by Swagato