Film, Cinema, and Visual Studies –– 2013

Swagato

My current M.A. program admitted 7 from 120-some applications. I know Madison's Media & Cultural Studies program routinely lets in only 4 or 6 out of 130+. Indiana usually does 10-15 out of 200 (albeit, split along the different tracks of the department).

Edited by letmein

By the way - is it just me, or is Northwestern a bit slow to the game this year? It doesn't seem like anyone is hearing anything from the Screen Culture program, even though they usually contact candidates by now.

Of course, they may already contacted their candidates, but they just haven't posted anything to GradCafe...  :wacko:

Hi, just wondering if anyone has news on Rochester?  Decisions?  I know they've got a later deadline.

Applied to Duke, UC Irvine, Rochester, CUNY, NYU (Visual / Cultural Studies).

Have interviews / Invites from Duke / Irvine.  So I know they're delivering decisions soon...

Outside of Northwestern, UW-Madison, UMichigan, and a few other places, most programs don't conduct interviews. They typically make acceptance decisions based on your application alone. Once you're greenlit, some departments will sponsor a recruitment or visitation weekend of some sort, but it wouldn't be an interview situation per say (the faculty would be sizing you up throughout, but you'd already be "in" by that point). 

Long story short, unless you're waiting on one of the programs mentioned above, I wouldn't worry much about interviews.

Of course, this is all cold comfort when you only want to hear something, anything, to dispel the tension of waiting... 

Nothing new from Northwestern so far. Last year there were two interviews posted, so I take it if nothing else emerges by Friday I can assume a rejection from Northwestern.

Hello everybody,

Has anyone applied to film studies Ph.D at toronto university? It seems that the first round offers and rejections have been sent, however I have not received anything at all. I am on the waitlist!!! again!!!

Edited by ress

Has anyone received word yet from any of the following programs?

Brown MCM

Berkeley Film

UChicago CMS

Harvard FVS

I know they're the cream of the crop for media theory folk, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that just one will pan out!

Not to my my knowledge, and thus I am waiting on all of them. Harvard FVS typically does not call (they tend to call) until later in February. Brown, around the middle of this month. Chicago and Berkeley--any day now, unless somehow Chicago has already notified the fortunate few and it has completely bypassed anyone on GradCafe.

No kidding! Maybe people are unaware of this forum? At the same time, I have my doubts that someone taking the time to submit their results would not be familiar with the discussion board sections.

If you're all out there, we need your knowledge. We don't bite!  :)

That Northwestern invite earlier this week is killing me. I have pretty much given up the ghost of hearing anything this week, but a pleasant surprise would still be welcome. Also, wasn't Austin supposed to be sending out notifications this week? Maybe some will finally trickle in today.