Applying for BSW--advice

peetabread

Hey everyone!

I know this is technically the wrong forum--I'm not going for an MSW. I have decided to apply for a BSW...but there is no forum for BSW applicants.

So, unfortunately, I did poorly in my undergrad degree--I got about a 2.9/4.0 gpa which was in English, back in 2008. Which sucks. I am aware. I was immature, lazy, distracted, but most of all uninterested in the subject. I have since re-evaluated and decided that social work is the career for me.

I have spent the last few years both volunteering as an ESL teacher in SE Asia and Eastern Europe, and I currently have a paid position as a teacher's assistant here in Canada.

1. Does this kind of experience count as social service..so many schools want to see this experience. I realize I am not working in a group home or something like a lot of applicants, but the countries I worked in are poor/developing and one of the schools I am applying to has an international social work program. I really learned so much and saw so much poverty and I want to do something about it.

2. Crappy GPA--I took the required SW courses and did really well in them, I am also planning on taking women's studies courses to raise my GPA even more--good plan, or save my money? I think I barely have a "competitive" GPA as it stands. How much do you think GPA matters?

If anyone is feeling REALLY helpful--can you give me some ideas of how I can translate my seeing child prostitutes, child beggars, terrible pensions plans abroad a to wanting to apply to be a social worker? I do not want to say something like "I want to save the world" because that's really not what social work is about, nor do I want to come off as the foreigner who tries to save a different country--but it is how I felt when I saw these things. But I am really at a loss of how to explain this so it doesn't sound all hippy dippy optimistic.

Thank you to anyone who responds!!

While social work is about alleviating poverty, it is also about social justice and raising awareness about issues both globally and locally. Regarding your experiences... I would say you'd fall more on the social justice aspect of it. I would somehow correlate how you were an unfocused and unpassionate (sp) English major who has found a passion for raising awarness about global poverty and inequalities. Something like that. I'm awful at spelling tonight.

You do not need a BSW to enter a MSW program. MSW programs accept students from a wide variety of majors (e.g., humanities, behavioral and social sciences, biological sciences, etc.) If you truly want to enter social work, I recommend applying to MSW programs. In your personal statement, state how you have overcome your weaknesses. The first year is required foundation courses that will introduce you to the profession of social work.

Thanks to both for the advice!

I am going to try and make my personal statement reflect my experiences. I am just afraid of sounding too much like I am trying to change all these problems FOR these countries. Good thing I have a few months to work on my statement.

I wish I could do an MSW, as it would save me time and money, but I really do not think I am competitve enough. I am applying to schools in Canada and they are all super hard to get into. I have a pretty crappy GPA and I think I am barely competitive for a BSW, let alone MSW! :)

• 5 months later...

I know I'm super late to this, and you've probably heard back already or will soon, but here's my input:

Yes, you can get an MSW without a BASW, BUT they really won't even consider you if it's not in a relevant background (e.g. liberal arts, psychology, sociology, human services, etc.), and in those cases especially they want to see social work experience.  Personally, I think you were right to apply to the BASW program.  As far as experience, at least you have some!  Most applicants, in my opinion, have very little experience when they apply for a BASW.  I certainly didn't have anything, but I have a strong personal statement and references, and that sometimes trumps GPA.  I also screwed up when I started my undergrad career - I spent 2 years in university and left with a 1.48 GPA.  A few years later, when I was ready, I returned to community college and had a cumulative GPA of 3.7 when I transferred out.  The combination of the two, though, was 2.8, but I still got into the program as they looked more at my recent academics than my past (thankfully).  I still barely have a 3.08 cumulative and I'm graduating in May, but I was accepted to 2 of the MSW programs I applied to so far (still waiting on the third)!  My major cumulative GPA is a 3.8, as is my university GPA, so that may have been a contributing factor, as well as the personal statement and great LoR. Bottom line, not everybody focuses on GPA!  The application is the formality, but the personal statement is where you really have to sell yourself and convince them that they need you in their program!  Good luck!

Edited by talkinlikeateen

• 3 months later...

In Canada, GPA requirements are different. You need a GPA in the B+ range to have a chance at getting into an MSW program (even if on the websites it says you can apply with a B. These days, it's become more competitive so some schools only end up taking people with an A- or higher. I think pursuing a BSW was a wise choice to make. Now that you are so inspired to work in the field, you are likely to get a much higher GPA and can apply to do a 1 yr MSW later on. 

Edited by jenste

Well, I am STILL on a waiting list for a BSW (only one I applied to, dummmbbb) inching slower and slower to the top. I need it to move 2 spots before I can get in, and this waiting is driving me crazy (doesn't help I had to move back with my parents)....I am trying to stay positive but it's not easy! I just wish they would not string me along and say things like I have a good chance, because that hope makes it so much worse!

Considering that you are so close to getting in, I think it's more of a question of when you'll be getting in - this year or the next - and not if you'll get in. Hopefully it will be this year. Otherwise reapply next year, get more experience or boost your gpa in the meantime, and you will certainly be ranked higher next year. Best of luck!

Well, I am STILL on a waiting list for a BSW (only one I applied to, dummmbbb) inching slower and slower to the top. I need it to move 2 spots before I can get in, and this waiting is driving me crazy (doesn't help I had to move back with my parents)....I am trying to stay positive but it's not easy! I just wish they would not string me along and say things like I have a good chance, because that hope makes it so much worse!