interview of Rutgers

msright

I think I'd wait to worry and see if you get a call next week. I believe the director said he was working on a short list, but the interview wasn't scheduled or formal so you might get a call out of the blue. I got a voicemail at almost 9:00 pm from him on Thursday and then just had a pretty casual chat the next day.

I think I'd wait to worry and see if you get a call next week. I believe the director said he was working on a short list, but the interview wasn't scheduled or formal so you might get a call out of the blue. I got a voicemail at almost 9:00 pm from him on Thursday and then just had a pretty casual chat the next day.

But what if I havn't an interview at last?

so sad.....

Am I choose the wrong major if I want to study the relationship between social factors and population health ?

Why all the sociology depts reject me!!!! why!!!!

To those who had a phone interview with Rutgers, may I ask who you spoke to? Is it the Grad. Program Director (Eviatar Zerubavel)? Did Rutgers indicate how many people were on the shortlist? Any idea if they were looking at people with specific interests (e.g. economic sociology or cultural sociology)

I guess that we will hear about admission decisions by the end of the week. Good luck to all of us.

PS: I was also caught off-guard by the phone call; Wished I had let the call go to the voice mail and spoke after I was more mentally prepared!

To those who had a phone interview with Rutgers, may I ask who you spoke to? Is it the Grad. Program Director (Eviatar Zerubavel)?

I THINK that's who I spoke to. I was in the car at the time (not driving) on a poor cell phone connection and the guy had a bit of an accent so I'm not 100% sure of the name (I heard "Rutgers" and my mind went a bit blank). However, I sent him a followup email afterward, so if that isn't who I spoke to I look pretty silly right now.

PS: I was also caught off-guard by the phone call; Wished I had let the call go to the voice mail and spoke after I was more mentally prepared!

I think it was a trap!

Seriously, I think they had to be expecting something fairly informal if they were calling at 9 at night. I was asked about professors I wanted to work with, and not being in front of a computer (and having written my SoP how many months ago now?) I couldn't pull any names off the top of my head. :oops:

I didn't get any other information about cohort size or what specifically they're looking for (I should have asked). The questions he asked about my research indicated to me that he was just interested to see how well-grounded I was and how truly interested I am in the program, and how much thought I've given to fit. .

I also didn't think to ask about the cohort size or their expectations in terms of the composition of students they are admitting (in terms of research interests). I was busy trying to remember names and research interests of faculty while talking to Eviatar thus making me appear perhaps a bit distracted! I was also asked questions along the same lines that you were asked.

I talked with Zerubavel. He asked about my interests, the research from my writing sample, and if I had any questions. He also asked where else I was applying and if I had heard anything and I didn't know how to reply, so I just told him three places. Thought it'd be awkward to list all 9. I felt weird about that though. I have no clue how many people are on the short list, but he said they are aiming to admit 8 people and said there are 4 fellowships and RAships vary year to year. At first I thought he said they were only admitting 4 people and I got all freaked out, but later he said 8 so I'm hoping I misheard the first time and not the second. Last year someone wrote on the results page that there were 30 people on the short list, I think, but I don't know if it's the same this time around.

Any further updates from Rutgers... Would you mind sharing info on admits and funding please?

My boyfriend was notified by Prof. Zerubavel of his acceptance on Friday. He received a tuition waiver for the first two years and I think a TAship for the other three years.

My boyfriend was notified by Prof. Zerubavel of his acceptance on Friday. He received a tuition waiver for the first two years and I think a TAship for the other three years.

I was interviewed by Zerubavel via phone on 02/21 and haven't heard anything so far. Congrats to your boyfriend.

No, I haven't heard anything yet. When I interviewed with Zerubavel, he said I would hear by early LAST week. But, nothing. And, my application status still says "No Decision" on their webpage. It's so hard because it's such a great program but I can't keep my other offers waiting much longer. I just found that Rutgers' spring break starts today. So, I doubt if we'll hear anything this week (if we hear anything at all).

• 2 weeks later...