Interesting CS research subfields with good future

HappyCat13

Hi people,

I am currently hesitant in whether or not to write a very specific CS subfield I'm interested in the statement of purpose. For many thesis-based master programs in Canada, they do not need students to specify which subfield. I am thinking of whether specifying a subfield would make adcomm feel that you are more prepared and focused.

Back to the topic. I hope to hear some opinions of people who are currently doing research in the following fields.

1. Software Engineering

2. Database Systems

3. Theoretical CS (Algorithms)

4. AI/ Machine Learning

5. Human Computer Interaction

1. Software Engineering

It sounds like software engineering is very industry-oriented. Any 4-year CS bachelor already grasped many core concepts in software engineering and these are sufficient for leading a prospective software engineer role in industrial career already. Doing research on this side? It sounds like develping new products for market, isn't it?

I saw many many schools, even those very mediocre ones, all offer programs in software engineering. I'm wondering whether this research subfield has too many people there, doing exactly the same thing as what normal software engineers in company are doing.

2. Database Systems

Too many directions in this area. It seems like it can go as hardware-wise or as theory-wise. The buffer management stuffs are definitely investigating more on the performance/cost issue. The ER diagram/schema stuffs are more theoretical side.

Hope someone could shed light on the nature of research in this field. And what are the latest research trends in databases?

And it seems like not every school has research area in database.

Could someone who is not very good in mathematics (but still okay in handle algebra with certain complexity) do research in this aspect?

4. AI/ Machine Learning

Almost every school has research area in AI. The subfield is also influencing other subfields as well.

What is the prospect in this subfield?

5. Human Computer Interaction

What are people in this subfield actually doing? Design user interface?

Also, I have a feeling that these subfields are not disparate. They are actually intertwinned with each other. Not sure whether this is true.

Edited by erencie

I haven't done research in any of these areas but perhaps I can help with your initial question.

What I did on my statement was to state interest in the field/fields that I'm interested in. If it's possible to take courses aligned with each of the various fields and still meet the degree requirements then there is no harm in listing that you are interested in, say, theoretical CS and machine learning.

I've been told that it is good to say what mention have an interest in though and the more closely you can tie it to each individual school's curriculum in your essay, the better it reflects on the amount of research you've done about the program.

If you do mention just one subfield, it's worth not stating it in absolute terms, i.e. "I'm only interested in xxx", it's better to say something like 'I'm particularly interested in xxx".

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the process could confirm/deny this.

Edited by ssk2

If you do mention just one subfield, it's worth not stating it in absolute terms, i.e. "I'm only interested in xxx", it's better to say something like 'I'm particularly interested in xxx".

Hi, thanks for the opinion. This is what I am thinking now as well. Initially, I also write my interested subfield in quite absolute terms. In my first draft of SOP, I structured my essay in such a way that everything is tailored to the ultimate focus -- database systems. All the courses I've taken. Some description of certain research projects. etc.

After some time, I personally feel that it might narrow down my choices, especially after I find out that it is possible that some schools' database research lab seem not going to admit new master students in some of the years. I changed the SOP to be much more generic, perhaps too generic this time.

In my later draft of SOP, I mentioned that I like databases and software engineering. And I have interests in AI as well. Not sure whether this is too broad.

I think you should focus your SOP on research experiences that you've had and how those experiences (in whatever area) would help you contribute to other areas - diversity in research is a good thing. If you can link the various experiences under a common theme then you would have a strong SOP.

Personally, I would refrain from name-dropping too many research topics (i.e. being too broad) unless you have something meaningful to say and if you can link those areas to your undergraduate research. Be concrete and give examples of potential projects that you could work on in the areas that you mention. Don't just write down a laundry list of research areas.

Keep in mind that you can always change your mind once you get admitted..

Edited by anacron

you could spend a part of your SoP delving into a research interest (in your case, database systems). but at the end you could have a paragraph saying that database systems is your current interest, and that you maintain broad interests in other areas (this is what im doing for my SoP).

Yes I now try to let my tone in the writings more open to a diversity of research sub-fields.

I think you should focus your SOP on research experiences that you've had and how those experiences (in whatever area) would help you contribute to other areas - diversity in research is a good thing. If you can link the various experiences under a common theme then you would have a strong SOP. Personally, I would refrain from name-dropping too many research topics (i.e. being too broad) unless you have something meaningful to say and if you can link those areas to your undergraduate research. Be concrete and give examples of potential projects that you could work on in the areas that you mention. Don't just write down a laundry list of research areas. Keep in mind that you can always change your mind once you get admitted..

Hi Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Indeed, writing a laundry list of research areas does give people bad impression that you don't what you want in the end. I really need to think harder to link all my undergraduate research together to come up with a coherent ending, perhaps not naming any exact research subfields at all...

Could someone who is not very good in mathematics (but still okay in handle algebra with certain complexity) do research in this aspect?

TCS is basically math (although less background in math topics is required to get started than most other math fields). If you're not good at math, then you won't be able to do research in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

I can answer for this part of your question:

2. Database Systems

Too many directions in this area. It seems like it can go as hardware-wise or as theory-wise. The buffer management stuffs are definitely investigating more on the performance/cost issue. The ER diagram/schema stuffs are more theoretical side.

Hope someone could shed light on the nature of research in this field. And what are the latest research trends in databases?

And it seems like not every school has research area in database.

You are right. At the university where I am at, the database group is broken into two sections: theory and systems. Although we all work together and learn from each other, it is good to know ahead of time whether you wish to focus on theory or the systems side. I do not know much about the research trends for the theory in databases, but I know that working with big data analytics, cloud computing, data visualization, data integration, are popular areas in the field. It helps to also go to conference specifically in the area. When I went to SIGMOD back in May, you can easily tell what the 'big areas' are based on the publications and posters.

And yes, not every school has a database research group. Make sure you look into that before applying (if you are focusing on databases).

Hope this helps a bit :)