MA Programs

Guys, I'm sorry, because I swear I started this thread like a month but now I can't find it. Anyway, it died pretty quickly so I thought I'd try one more time.

I'm going to start a grad program this fall no matter what -- if I don't get an offer from my waitlist school, I'll start an MA program and then do my PhD two years from now (with another round of apps in between - sick!)

So far I've applied to Northeastern (where I'd like to go) for an MA as well as Depaul (not so much, but I'm currently in Chicago, so it'd be convenient at least). I also applied to BU's MA program and haven't heard back yet. So I've got 3.

My question is simply: do you know any neat, possibly under-the-radar MA programs that are still accepting apps? I know a lot are, I'm just having a bit of difficulty in my research. Like I guess everyone else, my thing is British and American modernism and/or other C 20 American lit. Many thanks, enjoy the weekend.

U. of South Carolina's deadline for funding has passed, but they are still accepting applications for the MA program through April 15. It's a pretty huge program...it might be worth it if you're worried about your options at the moment. (Full disclosure: I go there now, and I pretty much love it.)

You mentioned Duluth. If you're looking in the MN area there's MN state (Mankato), U of St Thomas (St Paul), and I think Hamline (St Paul) might offer an MA as well (but I'm not 100% sure). I don't know what their funding is like, however.

NYU and Columbia have pretty late MA application due dates. And they normally get WAY LESS applications than do the PhD programs. And both (I think) give you some kind of leg up applying for PhDs down the line.

Good luck!

If you applied to UChicago and haven't heard back yet, there's also a strong possibility that you're going to receive a large envelope from the University--a deceitfully large envelope--in which will be your admissions offer to the MA in Humanities Program. Look for this within the next two weeks or so, and after which I'm sure there will be plenty of conversation on this forum.

I wouldn't go to Chicago, or anywhere for that matter, for an MA without funding. Some schools tend to just admit basically everyone without a MA that they rejected from the PHD program, knowing that most will not attend without funding anyway. It's a cash cow. Often times they're more interested in your money than they are in you.

Which isn't to say that it ultimately wouldn't be a good experience, if you can afford it. But it'd really only be a luxury for the wealthy. For the rest of us it'd be completely insane to take out loans for an MA in English with the job market like it is now. I know some will probably disagree with me on this, but that's just my opinion. Better to just wait another year. It goes by fast.

Since you are interested in staying in the Chicago area, Elmhurst College is still accepting applications until June 1st I believe. I did my undergrad there and I was considering applying for an MA since I ended up only making one wait list and rejected everywhere else, but since they don't offer funding I don't think I could justify it. Still, the tuition is pretty reasonable and they offer tons of financial aid, so you would probably end up paying very little for it, but still no stipend and EC doesn't do TAs. I personally wouldn't look down on doing an MA there, even though I know it's not a school whose name would be recognized outside of Illinois. It's a great little college with outstanding faculty. There's my little plug for my school!

I agree with Jcar. I applied to mainly PhD programs, and even though I haven't been officially rejected, it is safe to assume that I will be based on the acceptances that have already gone out. There is still a possibly that either NYU or Fordham will accept me into their MA programs; however, I'm not going to take out thousands upon thousands of dollars in loans just to attend one of these schools for two years. I recently applied to UNCG's MA program in English, and even though they do not fund their MA students, out-of-state tuition is about 14,000 a year, which is less expensive than the undergrad liberal arts university I'm currently attending. UNCG has a rather reputable program, and so far they have been extremely friendly. I don't know whether I've been accepted yet (still waiting on recs), but they are the first program to which I applied that has encouraged me to visit. I'm quite exited because not only do they have a pretty good program, but they appear very congenial and welcoming.

You mentioned Duluth. If you're looking in the MN area there's MN state (Mankato), U of St Thomas (St Paul), and I think Hamline (St Paul) might offer an MA as well (but I'm not 100% sure). I don't know what their funding is like, however.

I'm an undergrad at St. Thomas. The English grad program has some fantastic professors and St. Thomas is liberal with funding. They channel a lot of their money into scholarships and grants, to both undergrads and post-grads. It's worth looking at. :)