how bad do grades need to be to warrant explanation?

DMX

im applying to stat/biostat programs, and from what i've heard they want to see good/great grades in calc I-III, linear algebra, analysis, and ODE.

i have some bad (but not catastrophic) grades in the above 'core' courses

calc I: B- (first semester of freshmen year. i was immature and didn't try at all in the class. i skipped a midterm because i didn't wake up in time...)

linear algebra: B+ (same reason as above... immaturity).

real analysis: B- (i actually did really well in the midterm/final, so i was expecting an easy A. turns out class participation and homework made up a big portion of the grade - both of which i rarely did).

intro to computer programming: B (had no idea what programming was before this class).

However, i do have some good grades in other, arguably 'harder' classes (especially when i started becoming more focused academcially)

upper level linear algebra: A

topology: A

multivariable calc: A+

time series: A

number theory : A-

algorithms (upper level CS class): A+

econometrics: A

Given this, do you think the bad grades above warrant an explanation? Or are my grades in upper level classes good enough for them to not worry about my math background?

If you can make a really compelling case that you had an early spell of academic immaturity which you've now put behind you, it might be worth mentioning this in your personal statement. But, in the absence of a major life event or hurdle to overcome, there's a very fine line between 'explaining' and 'excuse-making' when it comes to grades. The latter tends to reaaaalllly rub admissions committees the wrong way, so you need to tread carefully if you're addressing poor grades in a personal statement, particularly if they're mostly the result of your behavior and choices.

Well, I think that depends on what program that you will apply for. For example, if you want to apply stat phd program, then you'd better explain the B- of real analysis and calculus. I think B+ is fine if you are in a top university.

I hope this doesn't come off as "mean" -- I'm just trying to be honest and straight. In my opinion, "immaturity" doesn't count as an explanation for why your grades are low.

In addition, grades from lower level courses don't count as much as the upper level courses. Sure, they contribute equally to the GPA calculation, but the admission committees will see your transcripts too and they will see the upwards trend in your marks. That will already show that while you were performing averagely at first, you started to excel in the 3rd and 4th years!