Molecular Anthropology Grad Programs

gcook

I am a biology major (BSc), and looking into applying my molecular bio/genetics knowledge to anthropology. What are some schools with graduate programs/researchers in molecular anthropology/archaeology? I am considering programs in Canada or abroad (although I worry about funding if I go abroad).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Know of a great prof or program?

I've heard that Purdue (West Lafayette campus) has a decent molecular anthropology program, so you may want to check that one out. Within the Purdue system, I believe that IUPUI had a decent program at some point, however, the professor that was involved with genetics over there recently took a job teaching at my university. I have a class with her, and she's one of the best professors I've ever had. If there are more like her over there, it may also be worth checking out.

• 4 weeks later...

I did my Master's in Archaeological Science at the University of Cambridge in archaeogenetics. They have several really interesting ongoing projects that use molecular biology/genetics to investigate prehistory and an entire archaeogenetic lab. You might want to check them out if you'd be interested in going to school over there.

Also, I'm currently looking into PhD programs, and I am finding that more people in Ecology and Evolution Departments are working on projects that combine genetics and archaeology than in Archaeology Departments, so you may want to consider looks at those types of programs too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Leipzig School of Human Origins is super competitive, but all students are fully funded. It's probably one of the best programs in the world if you are interested in anthropology and genetics.