GRE scores?

tempest_teacups

Hello everybody! I'm a longtime lurker of this forum, and I thought I would finally introduce myself (and present a question). I just graduated this past spring, and I'm hoping to enter history PhD program for next fall. Broadly, I want to study modern European history with minor fields in Holocaust and gender and women's history. I'm interested in the social and cultural history of 20th century Germany with a specific focus on women, children, and families.

So I just took the GREs yesterday for the second time, and I did terrible, like literally awful (Verbal: 148 and Quantitative: 149). I know it's a lame excuse, but I get all flustered taking standardized tests because I over-think the questions and debate the various answers in my mind. I also didn't study as hard as I should have...I know, shame on me...

Other than my poor GRE scores (which I don't have time to retake for this application season) my applications should be competitive. I'll have a strong statement of purpose along with solid LORs, undergraduate GPA (3.83 overall and 3.89 in history major), and honors thesis writing sample on a original topic (that has little research out there in the field). I have a lot of background in independent research as a undergrad research assistant, and I'm currently the grad program assistant for my undergrad university's new Holocaust and Genocide Studies Center. I also completed an internship at a museum down in DC this past summer which allowed me to go to National Archives in College Park and Library of Congress. As for languages, I currently have basic reading ability of German and am working towards developing language skills in both German and French.

Despite all this, I really worry that my GRE scores will hold back the rest of my application. :(

Should I still bother to apply? Do you think I should address my poor scores in my statement of purpose? My professors tell me not to worry about them because "grad committees don't really look at them." I'm not sure if I believe that...so how much weight do GRE scores actually hold in the application process?

I would appreciate any advice or words of wisdom from you guys! Thanks!

When I was applying, one professor told me that I'd need a 700 or higher in both categories (this was the old system - but yours would be lower than the equivalent in the new system) to be considered for funding - I believe this is because at some schools a lot of funding swards comes from graduate school level resources which have minimum GRE score cut-offs. Although I'm sure this varies at different programs so there's really no way to say definitively whether it will hurt all your applications.

I'm not trying to be a downer by bringing that up - I just thought it might help you form your decision by hearing some of the advice that I received.

I would say your verbal score will be low in comparison to your fellow applicants and that it's possible it would hurt your app (although it may not, you really never know). Do you have time to retake the exam next month and have them still get the scores into your programs? Because studying the vocabulary non-stop and then boosting your verbal score would be a real benefit.

I would still recommend you apply this year if you've got your heart set on grad school, because you really never do know how a school with consider the GRE - and many do not consider it very important.

Edited by remenis

Hi there, and welcome to this forum. Your concern is a common one. Because it is so common, I would suggest finding old threads about this topic using the search function. That will offer you a range of responses.

My answer, frustratingly, is that it depends. Some programs really don't care about the GRE. Others will take a look at it and use it to weed out applications at the first stage. Others will glance at it and only really pay much attention to it if the score is bad. Others will use it to determine whether you'll receive funding, if that's competitive. Others will use it as a major criterion for internal fellowships. Others will have an absolute cutoff number that they'll stick with. In general, the theory I've most often seen (and which jives with my experience) is that it's the state schools which either have an inferiority complex, or need to constantly justify their existence, that have the most stringent focus on GREs. The higher tier schools will care less about your GREs.

Though there is a huge range of how the GRE is used, it's generally agreed that most schools don't weigh it nearly as heavily as your writing sample, language skills, SOP and overall fit. Plenty of people do very poorly on the GRE and still are accepted into great schools. It's just that the rest of your app has to be that much better. Rather than having a slight strength there, you have a minor weakness that jumps out right away. I would suggest that you apply to schools that a) Don't have a cutoff for GRE scores. Some schools will mention such a cutoff on their websites - though that's pretty uncommon. B) You are a natural, strong fit for. If your research accords well enough with a school's faculty, your GRE scores will soon be forgotten.

I'm a first year in a PhD program at Princeton (humanities) & my GRE scores were okay.

Writing: 5.0

Verbal: 163

Math: 150

I hope those numbers are correct, I didn't check but that's what I remember. Anyways, apparently the GRE scores were pretty irrelevant here, and thank god for that because it was the worst part of my application.

I hear that at Harvard and Yale they are sticklers about GRE scores. Don't know if that's true, and I know every department is different.

For History, I don't see how your math score would matter at all. But can you take it again to improve your verbal score?

I took the test twice last year. Once in August, and I got my scores back pretty late (mid-November) because they were testing the new GRE exam. Well, the scores I got back on the first round were really bad (writing: 2.5!), so I took it again at the last minute (end of November) and managed to do well enough.

Thanks you guys! I appreciate your help and honesty. I knew I messed up pretty bad. My greatest fear is that they'll just trash my applications right away because of my low scores.

My situation also has another layer of complexity. I deferred admissions to University College London's European History MA program last year. I'm thinking that UCL will be my plan b if I don't get into any programs here in the US. Are masters programs usually worth taking out loans for? I was lucky enough to graduate from undergrad without any debt, and I feel like maybe a yearlong masters at UCL would be more beneficial for me in the long run (considering my GRE scores). Then afterwards, I would apply again to PhD programs. Ahhh

this whole thing is literally driving me insane!!

Have one of your LOR writers speak to the issue. GRE scores tend to be irrelevant at top tier universities where funding is garanteed to the entire cohort, but it can become an issue at mid-level programs where funding is split. Northwestern does not require GRE scores, so I recommend applying there as a backup if there are professors and courses relevant to your research.

• 2 weeks later...

I took mine last week. No idea about writing yet, and great verbal score, but my Q was 155. I know it could be worse, but this feels like it might not be enough for schools that care about this, and I don't think I have time to retake. Anyone know where / how I can figure out where to save myself an application fee because this will automatically disqualify me?

Czesc, I would seriously not sweat that Q score. I have been lurking round these parts long enough to know that your q score counts for little in history programs & honestly that's not that awful of a score! Mine is, however (upper 140s! phew for a good verbal score) & I'm still applying to top tier institutions. Doesn't help I suppose but I doubt I'll be rejected on that factor alone.

Edited by lafayette

• 1 month later...

Wow, I am almost in the same position, except I am applying to History MA programs instead of Ph.D programs. I also took the GRE and did poorly (Verbal: 151 and Quantitative: 147), but did very well on the AW portion (5.5).  I graduated from UCLA with a 3.9 GPA and completed a significant history research project but I am absolutely terrified that my poor GRE scores will heavily affect my chances of being accepted to the programs I am applying to this year. 

Your application does seem strong though, so don't worry about it too much. I wish you the best of luck! 

Hello everybody! I'm a longtime lurker of this forum, and I thought I would finally introduce myself (and present a question). I just graduated this past spring, and I'm hoping to enter history PhD program for next fall. Broadly, I want to study modern European history with minor fields in Holocaust and gender and women's history. I'm interested in the social and cultural history of 20th century Germany with a specific focus on women, children, and families.

So I just took the GREs yesterday for the second time, and I did terrible, like literally awful (Verbal: 148 and Quantitative: 149). I know it's a lame excuse, but I get all flustered taking standardized tests because I over-think the questions and debate the various answers in my mind. I also didn't study as hard as I should have...I know, shame on me...

Other than my poor GRE scores (which I don't have time to retake for this application season) my applications should be competitive. I'll have a strong statement of purpose along with solid LORs, undergraduate GPA (3.83 overall and 3.89 in history major), and honors thesis writing sample on a original topic (that has little research out there in the field). I have a lot of background in independent research as a undergrad research assistant, and I'm currently the grad program assistant for my undergrad university's new Holocaust and Genocide Studies Center. I also completed an internship at a museum down in DC this past summer which allowed me to go to National Archives in College Park and Library of Congress. As for languages, I currently have basic reading ability of German and am working towards developing language skills in both German and French.

Despite all this, I really worry that my GRE scores will hold back the rest of my application. :(
Should I still bother to apply? Do you think I should address my poor scores in my statement of purpose? My professors tell me not to worry about them because "grad committees don't really look at them." I'm not sure if I believe that...so how much weight do GRE scores actually hold in the application process?

I would appreciate any advice or words of wisdom from you guys! Thanks!

Hello everybody, 

I am a current Belgian student (Yes, this country exists, just north France!), willing to apply for MA in History in the US. 

I took my GRE two weeks ago, and as you I am a concerned about my results : Quanti : 164, Verbal : 157 (which is fair I believe for a non-native speaker)  BUT AW : 3.0 ... 

My question is simple : can my poor AW result affect heavily my application ? (and therefore should I retake it ?)

Considering that I am applying (partly) for top schools (e.g. dual degree Columbia/LSE) and it was an "accident" - I mean I am quiet certain I can manage to do better in AW next time. 

I tend to think it would be OK if the rest of my application is strong, but I have really no idea as the belgian admission system is really different, so any information from you will be very helpfull ! :) 

Thanking you in advance, 

Edgard

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know how the Analytical Writing effects your application, given that you are a foreign student and applying to an MA program. I have heard from friends in admissions that it is considered important to Ph.D. programs, but I doubt a less research oriented degree places as high a premium on writing skills.