FALL 2013 APPLICANTS!

Guest lefilsdhomme

Same! It was weird seeing so many unfamiliar faces. If anyone has an idea for where we could host an art-history focused chat, let's do it!

ETA: Thanks to whomever posted about Princeton. March 15?! That's like a jillion years away! I guess, hypothetically, good news would come sooner...

Edited by runaway

Guest lefilsdhomme
... no one over there understood my art feelings!
This has been the story of so much of my life... When are these support group sessions happening? London time or should we meet in a time zone somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean?

Is that too much paranoia?  Do you think ADComs are reading these posts here?  I wonder if, even here, we ought to write beautifully.  I know, I know, I am going insane.  :wacko:

My alma mater knows of the grad cafe - but Im unsure if anyone checks it. I know some of the grad students do, though. 

Daily application update to ponder:  UCSB's POIs has begun notifying successful applicants and nominating for fellowships.  While this seems early, they also seem to send their acceptances really late.

(I have personal connections to the program but would prefer not to say more about that)

Guest lefilsdhomme

I really doubt adcomms are checking in on us.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that professors have an infinite number of better things to do than lurk in the shadows of the internet trying to match our cleaver avitars to our areas of interest. (but if they did mine would be a dead giveaway...)

So, I got a letter today from one of the masters programs I'm applying to and got SO excited. It was short lived though, all the letter said was that they need my transcript (even though I sent them 2 copies). * Sigh * At least it means things are moving along....right?!

So, I got a letter today from one of the masters programs I'm applying to and got SO excited. It was short lived though, all the letter said was that they need my transcript (even though I sent them 2 copies). * Sigh * At least it means things are moving along....right?!

Yes! If nothing else it means someone is looking at your app, so things are happening.

Hello fellow Art Historians, 

I have a question: Do any of your applications still read "awaiting materials" by your GRE test scores? 

Two of my applications still have this on my application status page, however I sent my GRE scores well before the application deadline and another school I sent the scores to on the same date has confirmed that they have received my scores. I guess a further question I have is, do you think they are still matching scores to applications and still have to manually change my status from "awaiting materials" or should I have reason to panic and freak out? I wanted to wait at least a couple of weeks before I harassed the departments over this as I am sure they are swamped with the aprox 300 they receive, and before I email/call them this week I wanted to see if any others are in the same boat. 

Best of luck! 

Hello fellow Art Historians,

I have a question: Do any of your applications still read "awaiting materials" by your GRE test scores?

Two of my applications still have this on my application status page, however I sent my GRE scores well before the application deadline and another school I sent the scores to on the same date has confirmed that they have received my scores. I guess a further question I have is, do you think they are still matching scores to applications and still have to manually change my status from "awaiting materials" or should I have reason to panic and freak out? I wanted to wait at least a couple of weeks before I harassed the departments over this as I am sure they are swamped with the aprox 300 they receive, and before I email/call them this week I wanted to see if any others are in the same boat.

Best of luck!

My GRE scores were the first to be matched up. I would call. If you feel comfortable sharing which apps they are, other people can tell you if their apps say the same thing.

Edited by Bearcat1

Question(s) from the newbie: when y'all mention POIs, do you mean professors you're merely interested in working with (and vice versa) or professors you've specifically contacted/been in touch with? And on a scale of 1-10, how screwed am I for not getting in touch personally with professors in programs I'm applying to?

Any insight would be enormously helpful! I basically just want to know now whether I'm dead in the water or I should continue my current pattern of oscillating between hope and despair.

Question(s) from the newbie: when y'all mention POIs, do you mean professors you're merely interested in working with (and vice versa) or professors you've specifically contacted/been in touch with? And on a scale of 1-10, how screwed am I for not getting in touch personally with professors in programs I'm applying to?

Any insight would be enormously helpful! I basically just want to know now whether I'm dead in the water or I should continue my current pattern of oscillating between hope and despair.

We mean the people we hope to work with. It's an odd term, but I think it's been borrowed from other disciplines where it makes more sense. I believe there are mixed feelings here about contacting professors beforehand or not. Some do, some don't. There are plenty of success stories from both sides, so you're definitely not dead in the water. Carry on with your roller coaster of emotions. :)

We mean the people we hope to work with. It's an odd term, but I think it's been borrowed from other disciplines where it makes more sense. I believe there are mixed feelings here about contacting professors beforehand or not. Some do, some don't. There are plenty of success stories from both sides, so you're definitely not dead in the water. Carry on with your roller coaster of emotions. :)

Phew. I think. Ugh, is it March yet?

Oh oh, another question: do all/most programs ask for an interview before admittance? Or only some? None of the programs I applied to mentioned it in their process, but there's something so comforting about worrying one's self to pieces.

Oh oh, another question: do all/most programs ask for an interview before admittance? Or only some? None of the programs I applied to mentioned it in their process, but there's something so comforting about worrying one's self to pieces.

I think it's less common. Check the results section for your programs, but most don't.