FALL 2013 APPLICANTS!

Guest lefilsdhomme

Hello fellow Art Historians, 

I have a question: Do any of your applications still read "awaiting materials" by your GRE test scores? 

Two of my applications still have this on my application status page, however I sent my GRE scores well before the application deadline and another school I sent the scores to on the same date has confirmed that they have received my scores. I guess a further question I have is, do you think they are still matching scores to applications and still have to manually change my status from "awaiting materials" or should I have reason to panic and freak out? I wanted to wait at least a couple of weeks before I harassed the departments over this as I am sure they are swamped with the aprox 300 they receive, and before I email/call them this week I wanted to see if any others are in the same boat. 

Best of luck! 

U Chicago says that my scores haven't been received, though I sent them in the same batch as another school that has them.  Calling the dept./grad admissions today.

I'm not Art History, (History), but I have the same issue. I contacted the school a while back and they replied confirming that they did have my scores but hadn't run the programme to match them up with applications yet.

That was 4 weeks ago and it's still showed as 'awaiting'. It makes me nervous but I do have that email confirmation from admissions.

U Chicago says that my scores haven't been received, though I sent them in the same batch as another school that has them.  Calling the dept./grad admissions today.

I have contacted them by e-mail for the same issue, they told me that they just got late with updating application so they have them but just have not processed them yet

If we have not been invited to the DUKE Graduate Student Symposium like some did, should we count ourselves out? 

I keep telling myself that from tomorrow on I will stop worrying about the results, will no longer check this website, nor worry about emails, etc, etc, etc.  This has been going on for several days now.  I hope I don't have to go through this again... in fact, I hope that all of us will never have to deal with this again.

If we have not been invited to the DUKE Graduate Student Symposium like some did, should we count ourselves out? 

I keep telling myself that from tomorrow on I will stop worrying about the results, will no longer check this website, nor worry about emails, etc, etc, etc.  This has been going on for several days now.  I hope I don't have to go through this again... in fact, I hope that all of us will never have to deal with this again.

I sincerely hope not :-(

I keep telling myself that not everyone who was invited to the GSS will accept Duke's offer, so there's still a sliver of hope.

Anyone who has more concrete details or experience with this, please share!

I obviously have no way of knowing for sure, but according to the results search from 2011 there were people who were accepted that didn't hear anything until they got their acceptance letter even though others had been invited to the Symposium. I think that they might only ask people to visit that they're not 100% sure about yet.

OSU is having their interview/invite weekend February 1st. They generally invite a larger group, maybe about 10 or so depending on how many apply (that's a little on the higher side though), and choose from those people. If there is someone who can't make that weekend you won't be penalized for being unable to attend, they have still admitted people unable to visit, and have also awarded people who couldn't visit university fellowships. In the recent past during that weekend you meet individually with your POI and then individually with 2 additional professors closest to/related to your field; they have a dinner at a professor's home with faculty, potentials, and current grad students; a small departmental symposium; and you go out to dinner with some grad students, no faculty, in the same specialty in which you are interested. Don't know if anyone is interested, but that is their general way of choosing people. 

OSU is having their interview/invite weekend February 1st. They generally invite a larger group, maybe about 10 or so depending on how many apply (that's a little on the higher side though), and choose from those people. If there is someone who can't make that weekend you won't be penalized for being unable to attend, they have still admitted people unable to visit, and have also awarded people who couldn't visit university fellowships. In the recent past during that weekend you meet individually with your POI and then individually with 2 additional professors closest to/related to your field; they have a dinner at a professor's home with faculty, potentials, and current grad students; a small departmental symposium; and you go out to dinner with some grad students, no faculty, in the same specialty in which you are interested. Don't know if anyone is interested, but that is their general way of choosing people. 

Have they already sent out invites? If so sadface :(

I'm not sure if they have sent them out yet. but I would think so since it is pretty soon. I don't know how many people they have invited, or how many spots they are filling though. There have been a lot of changes in the dept lately, so it might be that they are doing admits differently. Keep hope alive! (Sorry to be a downer.) I know that in the past they had interviews on campus and then didn't make decisions until well over a month later, and that people who have been accepted off the invite have declined previously also. So I think they might go back and crunch the numbers depending on who accepts. I think that in the past two years they only wound up having 2 or 3 new people each cycle because accepted students went elsewhere. The entering grad class before that was about 8 people at least. And I believe everyone was funded. It ain't over til it's over! Perhaps some spying is in order...I'll see what I can find out.

I obviously have no way of knowing for sure, but according to the results search from 2011 there were people who were accepted that didn't hear anything until they got their acceptance letter even though others had been invited to the Symposium. I think that they might only ask people to visit that they're not 100% sure about yet.

I hope you're right... :)   That would be a sogni!  Though I wonder why they would spend money on people they are unsure about, and not invite the ones that they feel more strongly about.  Anyway, this is me being a pessimist. Sorry, cannot help it.

I loved to read what you wrote though.  Hope dies last, right?

Thanks...

Do you know the Duke trips are paid for?

I know that one person is having her air ticket and lodging paid for both the Symposium and the CAA meeting in NY.  I have to believe that this person is a shoo-in.  I don't know if that's the rule though.

Edited by brazilianbuddy

I know that one person is having her air ticket and lodging paid for both the Symposium and the CAA meeting in NY.  I have to believe that this person is a shoo-in.  I don't know if that's the rule though.

Oh, boo. (Not for that person.) I was hoping it wasn't paid so your theory would be disproved. 

Oh :( 

Yeah, I would assume that if they are shelling out the money then that means they are wooing the person to come to their program.

Sigh. 

This is such a roller coaster of emotions!

Congrats, by the way, Bearcat on your acceptance!

NEED YOUR ADVICE...

Back in November I got in touch with one of my POIs. After several email correspondences, the person told me that he/she was advising his/her student to consider working on something that "very much" overlaps with what I am doing for my honors thesis project.  Anyway, I will soon be leaving to France to finalize my research and was wondering if it would be okay if I contacted my POI to ask if I could get in touch with his/her student.

I know he/she hasn't started her work on the subject yet, and I think I may be able to offer some help since I will be working with the primary sources for over a month.

What do you guys think? I know for a fact that the professors have started looking at applications already, and I didn't want to be inconvenient or pushy.

Edited by brazilianbuddy

Oh :(

Yeah, I would assume that if they are shelling out the money then that means they are wooing the person to come to their program.

Sigh. 

This is such a roller coaster of emotions!

Congrats, by the way, Bearcat on your acceptance!

I know. I'm sorry. And thank you!

Oh, boo. (Not for that person.) I was hoping it wasn't paid so your theory would be disproved. 

Sooorry! I know I am such a party pooper... I hate that too. :(   Suuuuuper congratulations on your acceptance!!!!