FALL 2013 APPLICANTS!

Guest lefilsdhomme

Congrats to kunstgeschichtedude! That is seriously great news!

Also, if the person who got the phone call from their Princeton POI is on here and doesn't mind sharing, could you elaborate on the "expect to hear within two weeks" bit? Basically, I'm curious (read: DYING TO KNOW BECAUSE GAH) if they said everyone would be contacted within two weeks or just you specifically.

Princeton received over 500 apps this year, is this true?  How did people learn about this?

Would the person who was accepted by UC Berkeley mind telling us how you heard about it? Email from POI, official from grad school, etc?  If from POI, did you have any prior contacts with your future advisor?  By the way, CONGRATULATIONS!

It looks like results are starting to come out.  OMG!!!!

Edited by brazilianbuddy

Thank you so much, friends! The Grad Director at Missouri asked if I will accept the nomination for MA-Level Fellowships, which of course I will! However, my only question is, that in accepting the nomination, does that mean I am also committing myself to Missouri's Art History Program, or only the Fellowship? 

Kunst-- congrats on your admit.  I think that question is just a formality, and that you're not committing to attending the school.  I don't even think you're committed to accepting the fellowship if you get it-- so don't worry!  Good luck!

U Chicago offers should be sent in the next 4-5 days based on past years' results.  Crossing my fingers with hopes that the Chicago winter has been unusually warm to me.  Sooooo anxious!!

Also, curious if any of you study non-western art?

Edited by ProspectStu8735

Hey Gang, sorry for the Bolded Text in my letter to you. I wrote you that in a Google doc. and then when I copied it into the Reply Box, it just went bold, I could not turn it off (so funny that someone mentioned it), so I sent it as was.

The worst part of these comments are people who think my posts are too long (sad to see art historians who don't like reading). Have you ever been on any other Forums? What you write is actually meant for the Chat Section. Who wants to check in on a forum full of back-and-forth anxiety ridden one-liners? That's part of the reason I am leaving this thread. It's called "Fall 2013 Applicants" and people shoot one-liners all day long about getting in and not getting in. No one talks about their passions, why they applied, or what the PhD means for them, I tried and look what happened to me.

When you all get accepted to your dream programs you will be reading texts much longer and tougher than what I have written on this thread. Are you up for Benjamin, Foucault, Freud, Lacan, Marx, Kant, and Hegel? You might want to practice reading more than one line of text and posting cute animal photos.

For the record and just to kind of brag last minute--do keep an eye out on Amazon for a book in which I contributed called Theorizing Visual Studies: Writing Through the Discipline. I am 1 of 60 international graduate students chosen for the book, it was something I did while I was earning my second masters in education. It was a lot of fun! Maybe if you read it you'll learn my true identity, how wild and crazy would that be!

Lastly, if anyone wants to engage an open online dialogic community where we discuss our field, contemporary art, who is reading what, and why we want PhDs in the first place--I might start that thread topic some place if there happens to be interest. It might be fun to discuss these things while we wait for rejections and acceptances. Unlike some here, I'm an artist, art educator, and art historian with or without the PhD. It's what you love and learn, not what school, program, or degree you get.

Love you guys!

Hang in there.

Outing yourself via a message board (one where you are incredibly pompous) filled with potential future colleagues is so smart. The art community of Chicago is now aware of your antics, crippling insecurity, and not so subtle misogyny. Bad move, William Keith Brown.

Really rad website by the way (sarcasm): http://www.williamkeithbrown.com/index.html

Congrats TJ! I think it's gonna take a bit more than a few silly posts on a grad thread to tarnish my reputation in the Chicago art scene. Maybe not, maybe it's over for me. Outside of online living though there is this thing called reality where honest relationships free of online personas and code-names exist. I'm actually a really nice and thoughtful human being and I work really hard each day to connect regular non-art viewing/caring people with the subject we all love. I literally work to make what we do valued more in the dominant culture (not that it matters, but it may go to my real passion and it could lead you to see what I really care about). 

My posts have been off the cuff responses to the hostile reactions. I must say most of my writing has been a reaction to your reaction to me and I played a pompous character here (perhaps I got carried away in being immature). I will admit to not being myself. The post about the book was meant to get under your collective skin.

I am sorry for some of the things I've said here. In all seriousness, I do regret disrupting the harmony of your routines. I have those regrets, but what hurts me most is being labeled misogynist. I respect our gender positions, but it is hard to ignore the gender binary through the harsh treatment. I was just calling the tone as I felt it.

I am insecure, I think we all are and I'm okay with that.

My website is a free one, so I know the template is not "rad". It's not meant to be great (cheap shot).

I am really sorry though gang (no sarcasm), I hope you can accept the apology. Good luck on those apps.

Ok already with this bullshit. Hal, you're just getting the beat down on here huh? I don't find anything that you have said over the top bothersome or take it personally, people make comments not everyone is going to like, I don't internalize them because I don't feel that they apply to me. I am confident as f*&k. You are certainly not the first person on here to say something remotely unpopular as far as I can tell. You haven't resorted to name calling, which I have seen several times.You said what you thought, and when people vehemently disagreed you acted the man and said you were sorry. And I don't think you need to apologize to anyone. Again. You do you, and never mind everybody else. Say what you have to say, then drop the mic and walk away.

I remember seeing in late January or early February a lonely soul posting that she or he had been invited to the "finalists" week(end) at U Michigan.  Did anyone else get the invitation?  Has anyone heard anything (at all) back from U Mich?

I remember seeing in late January or early February a lonely soul posting that she or he had been invited to the "finalists" week(end) at U Michigan.  Did anyone else get the invitation?  Has anyone heard anything (at all) back from U Mich?

nope :( 

accepted to Duke and UCLA!  Rejected from 2 other schools...

anyone know when Yale is sending in their letters out?  what about University of Chicago?

How did you find out about Duke??? 

Also, University of Chicago is sending everyone their notices the first week of March but POIs have been personally contacting the admits from what I've heard...

I realize I might be a little late to the party, but Hi!

Who is applying?

I grew up in Germany and just graduated with a BA in art history from Humboldt University. I also worked for a prominent art collector for several years and am now an almost full-time art critic for a national newspaper (Germany might just be the one country where people still read those)

Where?

Only applied to one program this spring... Master of Modern Art, Critical and Curatorial Studies at Columbia. Should that not work out (acceptance or funding wise), I'll start my MA in Berlin and then apply to MA and PhD programs this coming winter.

To study what?

Mainly Öyvind Fahlström and Fluxus... I have a pretty precise idea of what I want to work on.

To work with whom?

Prof. Branden Joseph, other equally exciting professors would be Pamela Lee at Stanford or Hannah Higgins at UIC, Chicago

How's your German?

I'd say it's rather fluent :D

accepted to Duke and UCLA!  Rejected from 2 other schools...

anyone know when Yale is sending in their letters out?  what about University of Chicago?

First of all, congratulations!!!!! :D  And how did you hear about Duke?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Good luck, better vibes, and best wishes to all of you, my dear art historians in the making. To quote Tom Petty, "the waiting is the hardest part." We're almost there! 

Submitted: 12/12

Interviews: 1/12

Rejected: 1/12

Accepted: 1/12

Congratulations to the Columbia admits! As I now nervously chew on my fingernails (while waiting for pizza delivery for stress eating), may I ask how you were contacted and if your status on the application webpage has been updated?

Thank you, one of the admits is me. I was contacted via email. The status on my application has not been updated-in fact it still says 'awaiting' by my GRE scores. 

Thank you, one of the admits is me. I was contacted via email. The status on my application has not been updated-in fact it still says 'awaiting' by my GRE scores. 

It's funny that you said that about the GRE scores, I emailed them just a couple of days ago to find out what happened.

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations to the Columbia admits!!!

I applied to their Master's, so now the committees will have time todeal with lowly folk like me. :)

May I ask what your fields and who your POIs are?

Edited by neongolden

ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED THE ADCOMS ARE, LIKE, BOOZIN’ IT UP AT HAPPY HOURS EVERY DAY INSTEAD OF NOTIFYING YOU OF THEIR DECISION TO PROBABLY CRUSH YOUR DREAMS

and meanwhile, you’re all…

stefonpoison.gif

From here...

Made me smile. And then made me cry. Mixed emotions.