counseling psych programs/MHC

hello22

Hello! I graduated from a 4-year liberal arts college this May

and I'm looking for grad schools to apply for counseling psych programs!

So far I'm looking at

1. Teacher's College, Columbia (Master of Education: Mental Health Counseling)

2. Boston University (Ed.M :Community Counseling)

3. Boston College (M.A: Mental Health Counseling)

4. NYU (M.A: Counseling for mental health & wellness)

5. GWU (M.A: clinical mental health counseling)

6. Fordham (MSE: Mental health conuseling program)

7. University of San Diego (M.A: Clinical mental health counseling)

8. St. John's (M.S.Ed Clinical Mental Health Counseling)

I searched everywhere for rankings for counseling psych grad programs but couldn't really find a legit one.

Are these schools hard to get into? Do I even stand a chance of getting into them?? considering I have a pretty low GPA and probably low GRE scores too....

Are there rankings of grad counseling psych program? like the one in USnews?

My GPA: 3.27

GRE: haven't taken yet! but my practice scores were pretty low...

Please help! Thank you! :)

From what I know about Boston College, your GPA should not kick you from the running at all, but it won't *impress* them. I would suggest contacting the specific departments to determine what they want for minimum scores. Each specific school has their own gauge. Sometimes the scores mean nothing other than a university's requirement. However, for some programs you *have* to be in the top 75%. On the other hand, some say your GRE combined score needs to be a certain minimum, while others only care about one of the reasoning sections.

In general, masters programs are not nearly as concerned about your scores themselves as the rest of your application. They'd like to see your passions and interests glow off the page. So, without knowing the rest of your credentials it really is impossible to answer the question concretely. These other credentials are... well.. everything else such as what clubs & activities have you done? Research? Job Experience? Volunteer Experience? Those will really be the factors a masters program concerns themselves with.

So, in short, the answer you hear everywhere on this forum "it depends."

• 2 months later...

Hello! I graduated from a 4-year liberal arts college this May

and I'm looking for grad schools to apply for counseling psych programs!

So far I'm looking at

1. Teacher's College, Columbia (Master of Education: Mental Health Counseling)

2. Boston University (Ed.M :Community Counseling)

3. Boston College (M.A: Mental Health Counseling)

4. NYU (M.A: Counseling for mental health & wellness)

5. GWU (M.A: clinical mental health counseling)

6. Fordham (MSE: Mental health conuseling program)

7. University of San Diego (M.A: Clinical mental health counseling)

8. St. John's (M.S.Ed Clinical Mental Health Counseling)

I searched everywhere for rankings for counseling psych grad programs but couldn't really find a legit one.

Are these schools hard to get into? Do I even stand a chance of getting into them?? considering I have a pretty low GPA and probably low GRE scores too....

Are there rankings of grad counseling psych program? like the one in USnews?

My GPA: 3.27

GRE: haven't taken yet! but my practice scores were pretty low...

Please help! Thank you! :)

I agree with Psychkita. Your chances of being admitted into any graduate program really depend on a number of different things you bring as an applicant. Sure, some schools will have cut-offs for GPA and GRE scores, but low GPA or low GPA scores can be compensated for by other strong parts of your application (i.e. letters of recommendation, personal statement, work experience, etc.)

Additionally, some things you may want to consider in choosing schools to apply to:

- Are the programs you are interested in approved as meeting the educational requirements for licensure in the state you want to work in? This is big especially if you want to establish your own practice and since many employers will require licensure.

- Do any of these programs offer financial aid? Mental health counseling is one of the lower-paying disciplines in psychology with the median salary being right around $40,000/year nationwide and going to a big-name private school might not be in your best interest (depending on your financial situation of course).