HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Is there anyone else on this thread that is applying straight out of undergrad?  I'm going to grad school to get my masters + secondary certification because I jumped on the teaching train a little late in the game and my undergrad institution only offers MAT + cert. for STEM fields, and I'm not interested in going to the neighboring school we pair with for the humanities.  I decided to apply to big name schools because I plan on later getting an Ed.D and working in administration, even though I might not make more than I spend on Harvard in my first years of teaching.  

This thread makes me feel young and inexperienced!  :(

I am also disappointed that I haven't received any real paper letters or packages!  My friend is going to law school next year and her schools send her bumper stickers and flash drives...

I'm applying straight out of undergrad as well! Here's a commiserative high-five... haha.  I have been told that my resume looks okay for being a college kid, but I'm positive that my application can't be quite as competitive as a lot of the others that HGSE has received... everyone seems to have so much experience in teaching, research, and so forth! I'm just full of hopes and lots of passion for Harvard, which maybe they will notice!... Ha.

Also, I must say I'm privately very glad they are leaving out the "glam & glitter"... they all come from tuition, after all, right?  :blink:

I did too! Say whaaa? I totally sent that before February 4!

Guess it's an automated confirmation for everyone?

Nope.

Just us.

It obviously means we got in.  B)

'If you're playin' me, keep it on the low. 'Cuz my heart can't take it anymore...'

In other words, no emails that have nothing to do with my decision!

Don't play me like that, Harvard!!!!(:=#)8=$

I got an email almost a month ago asking me to send my transcript for a community college course I took.  Obviously that means they must have been reviewing my application then.  They already know whether I am in or not.... I just don't.  

I got an email almost a month ago asking me to send my transcript for a community college course I took.  Obviously that means they must have been reviewing my application then.  They already know whether I am in or not.... I just don't.  

I'm not so sure about that. I think they check for completion in the order they come in, so if it's not complete they email you and either put it at the back of the application queue or set it aside until you send in the materials to get complete. Then once it is complete, it only goes to the back of the completed files queue. And even then it won't get read until they start reviewing files, although in mid-January I would imagine they were starting. 

Not sure, but I think that's roughly how it works. Penn explains how they do it (albeit with rolling admissions) here and here.

Still a bit stressed, but so much more relaxed now that I have an acceptance. I'm trying not to obsess over H (or my lousy application thereto) lol. I'm getting psyched about Penn (my dream school for undergrad), and if I get H I'm obviously going, but if not I'm pretty happy. 

Has getting GW helped at all?

Sometimes I find myself staring at my email account hoping that for some reason, they wanted to send decisions out early this year.  It would be so nice just to know.  Because if I'm going to Vanderbilt, I have a lot of planning and organizing to do, and I want to get excited about it.  But I can't let myself get all focused on Nashville if I'm moving to Cambridge and I just want to knoooooowwwwww.  The weather is nicer in Nashville so there's that.  Totally with you guys on the anxious dance though.  

Psyched about going to Nashville on Thursday for the information day though.  

Sometimes I find myself staring at my email account hoping that for some reason, they wanted to send decisions out early this year.  It would be so nice just to know.  Because if I'm going to Vanderbilt, I have a lot of planning and organizing to do, and I want to get excited about it.  But I can't let myself get all focused on Nashville if I'm moving to Cambridge and I just want to knoooooowwwwww.  The weather is nicer in Nashville so there's that.  Totally with you guys on the anxious dance though.  

Psyched about going to Nashville on Thursday for the information day though.  

Well, one major advantage you have is that Peabody is the number one education school in the country. You'd get to work with the best faculty and have access to brilliant classmates -- great way to network! 

Aww! Hang in there, all. You're all awesome.

Still a bit stressed, but so much more relaxed now that I have an acceptance. I'm trying not to obsess over H (or my lousy application thereto) lol. I'm getting psyched about Penn (my dream school for undergrad), and if I get H I'm obviously going, but if not I'm pretty happy. 

Has getting GW helped at all?

m26, it has, for sure! It's just nice to relax and know that I'm headed somewhere regardless, y'know? For museum education, you can't do much better than GWU, so I know that I'll be headed exciting fabulous regardless. But at the same time, the HGSE program is special... so I'm still pulling my hair out waiting. ASzofer, I definitely feel you! I just want to know. I've been browsing apartments in D.C. and thinking about loans & aid stuff but there's still that voice in the back of my head telling me to remember Cambridge and HGSE and argh! 

Somehow, knowing that we are all doing the anxious dance simultaneously all over the country makes it easier to bear. It makes me feel like I am not crazy to be as nervous about the future as I am.

I am actually more nervous now than I was before I had heard back from any schools. I am just so afraid of making the wrong decision, and that I will look back and realize I should have done it differently... and I have only heard from half my schools. It is strange to think that I hope that this particular anxiety gets worse (by getting accepted to more schools.)

ASzofer, would you mind sharing your feelings about the Peabody information session when you return, either on the board or via PM? I am really drawn to the program, but I am unable to attend. Same goes for anyone who is making it out to Michigan!

I look forward to meeting some of you in real life in the fall!

I am! Is there a TIE facebook page? I just looked up the Education Innovation Pitch Competition. Looks very, very interesting. 

Anyone else applying to TIE?

The Education Innovation Pitch Competition that the Facebook page has been posting about sounds incredibly interesting. 

Hello everyone!

I stumbled upon this great website today and I'm very thankful to google for helping me do so.

My name Kelly and I'm currently working within the field of international education and academic

counseling in Peru. I plan on applying to a masters in international education policy within the

next 3-4 years. I have a few specific experiences I need to cross off my list before I do so to enhance

my chances.

I graduated from college in 2010 and will have over 3 years of work experience as of May 2013.

The first year was within the diplomatic realm in Washington D.C. and my last two years have

been with EducationUSA in Lima, Peru.

I have been googling and googling and googling some more to find useful CV websites/models to help

update my college graduate resume and have come up with nothing.

For those of you who have recently applied to HGSE, TC, UPENN or any other great educational school I would

really be interested in getting CV advice or a CV model if you are willing to share.

My email is: krvillanueva@gmail.com and I'd be forever grateful if any of you could help me.

Sometimes before looking at the graduate program for answers, it can be even more helpful to look at the profiles of those

great minds who are applying there first.

sincerely,

-Kelly

If you were applying to a PhD a CV might be appropriate, but for a masters with your experience pretty much a standard resume should be fine, I would think. I didn't do anything special.

Hello everyone!

I stumbled upon this great website today and I'm very thankful to google for helping me do so.

My name Kelly and I'm currently working within the field of international education and academic

counseling in Peru. I plan on applying to a masters in international education policy within the

next 3-4 years. I have a few specific experiences I need to cross off my list before I do so to enhance

my chances.

I graduated from college in 2010 and will have over 3 years of work experience as of May 2013.

The first year was within the diplomatic realm in Washington D.C. and my last two years have

been with EducationUSA in Lima, Peru.

I have been googling and googling and googling some more to find useful CV websites/models to help

update my college graduate resume and have come up with nothing.

For those of you who have recently applied to HGSE, TC, UPENN or any other great educational school I would

really be interested in getting CV advice or a CV model if you are willing to share.

My email is: krvillanueva@gmail.com and I'd be forever grateful if any of you could help me.

Sometimes before looking at the graduate program for answers, it can be even more helpful to look at the profiles of those

great minds who are applying there first.

sincerely,

-Kelly

Kelly, I agree with m26, a standard resume will do, especially for a masters program. And don't forget you always add extra-curriculars to your resume and they aren't just things you did outside of school when  you were in college, but also extra things you do now outside of your main job (ie: volunteering). Here is a good example for someone that has been out of school for a couple of years: http://www.teachforamerica.org/assets/documents/Sample.Working.Professional.Resume.FINAL.pdf

(its from the teach for america website)

And so cool that you are in Peru! I lived in Lima one summer during college and volunteered at a pre-school up in the mountains. Do you work at an international school? I always thought that would be awesome. 

Everyone, I am FREAKING out about these next two weeks. I don't know if I'll make it. I keep checking my application even though I know full and well that its not going to tell me anything. I am a total planner, so not knowing what I am going to be doing come next fall is the most stressful thing I can imagine. All pointers for making the time pass faster are welcomed and encouraged. 

Everyone, I am FREAKING out about these next two weeks. I don't know if I'll make it. I keep checking my application even though I know full and well that its not going to tell me anything. I am a total planner, so not knowing what I am going to be doing come next fall is the most stressful thing I can imagine. All pointers for making the time pass faster are welcomed and encouraged. 

Catch up on ALLLLLL the reading, tv shows, movies you've missed. I've been so stressed out I've started munching on everything in site. I had to stop myself the other day. :mellow:  lol...But in all seriousness, think of it this way, if you go back to school you won't have much time for simple pleasures. Go out and do all those things right now.

^Ditto on the advice. I would suggest contacting your undergraduate's career or alumni office for help editing your resume or SOP. They usually have handouts or time slots to go over them with you over the phone. :)