HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

I have been wondering about EDLD interview letters..... Any predictions on when they will be sent out? My guess is this Fri. or next Fri...... With thousands of applicants I think it has one of, if not THE lowest acceptance rate around......

I have been wondering about EDLD interview letters..... Any predictions on when they will be sent out? My guess is this Fri. or next Fri...... With thousands of applicants I think it has one of, if not THE lowest acceptance rate around......

You're pretty much on target. Any time between today and about th 18th of this month. Although, I did see someone say that the previous years date was the 5th.

Just realized on Saturday night that financial aid was due today. It's gonna be a day late. Freakout has come and gone. Not very optimistic of getting in anyway. 

GRE Score: V 169, Q 156 AWA: 5.0
GPA: 3.4/3.8 (U/G)
Work Experience: 3 months in the Navy prior to medical DQ, otherwise nothing serious. Decent amount of volunteer work with youth sports, juvenile legal matters.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public
Research Experience: Nil
Applying for PhD or Masters: Ed.M.
Program: EPM
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Penn, TC, Brown, Michigan.

I called the financial aid office today to check whether or not they had received my app. But I was told there's no way of them knowing at this point. We'll receive a confirmation email if and when they do process it. Makes me feel alittle uneasy.

m26, I have been browsing through past HGSE application threads and it looks like you aren't alone in submitting your aid app late! And it still worked out for people.

I called, and they said I might be at a disadvantage for grants and scholarships but it wouldn't keep me from attending if I got accepted. That works for me. I'm all in on the IBR/PSLF train anyhow lol.

My PLAN B:

If the Ed.L.D. thing doesn't work out, I'm heading to grab some big bucks teaching English for Saudi Aramco for 2 years, coming back and funding myself. I just got invited to an interview (not THAT interview!!!) in Manila almost the same week as HGSE's. 

And my boss here in Hong Kong said at lunch today that I'll always have a job here no matter what Harvard decides....

Of course, being a ripe old fart of 57, I never expected to get in but having grown up a stone's throw from Harvard Yard, figured it might me a nice place for a mid-life crisis and I have enjoyed the process - especially taking the GRE with about 75 mainland Chinese...and now stumbling at this late date onto this site. The Elmore reference reminded me to try to remember the names of the 3 profs I said I could see myself working with, google them and even order a couple of their books. 

No internet when I did my Master's  or my unfinished Ph.D. , so the waiting was a bit more solitary back in the day...heck, my diplomas are probably older than all of you.

I do hope the admissions board gets together for Friday cocktails and laughs their butts off reading some of the stuff here.

Take it from me kiddies, degrees make nice wall paper and may even open a few doors, but ultimately it's what you can DO that determines whether you stay or get voted off the island!

p.s. How did you answer the app question about TEST SCORES being accurate predictors of my true capabilities or something like that? With a whopping 7% on the math, of course I said NO!

I visited Harvard and Boston about three weeks ago. And, after visiting, I feel like I just have to get in because I loved both Boston and Harvard. I'm going to jump off a building if I don't get in...a one-story building, that is.

But seriously, March cannot come fast enough.

BTW, I looked back at the past two HGSE threads on here and found that those in my program (PSP, M.Ed.) received their decisions around 3/9 or 3/10. That was the case the past two years. I'm not sure when those from other programs found out, but I'd assume most Master's decisions are made available at around the same time.

Either way, March 9th-ish is better than March 25th!

Edited by CQE

Hello everyone!  I am new to this site but love all of the information.  I sent out my HSGE application (M.Ed in Education Policy and Management) on December 1, so it has been a whole lot of waiting.  Just heard that I got accepted to Vanderbilt's Peabody last week and Loyola University of Chicago the other day (In case I decide it's smarter to stay at home and work full time while getting my MA as I do have a mortgage).  

GRE Score: V 159, Q 153 AWA: 6.0
GPA: 3.70 career, 3.9 major
Work Experience: 5 years as a teacher.  One in an urban charter school on Chicago's south side, one in a rural school in Ohio, and the rest in a large suburban public school in the suburbs.  I am also an administrative assistant for an IT company, editing documents and print media that come from India.  
Research Experience: No professional research; however, I did several projects throughout undergrad on the injustices of public school funding and co-founded a campus organization researching the No Child Left Behind Act, leading demonstrations.  I was chosen to represent the student body in a community-wide debate against charters and school closures.  
Applying for PhD or Masters: Masters, 2013
Program: Education Policy & Management
What Other Schools Are You Applying To:  Vanderbilt MPP (accepted), Stanford POLS, Columbia TC, Northwestern (Haven't actually applied yet for they have a really late deadline) and Loyola U of Chicago (accepted)

Does anyone else's heart palpitate every time they see an email?  HSGE's program is pretty much my dream program.  I read about it and get doe-eyed pretty much.  That being said, I realize it's a stretch.  Especially since I have a pretty weak GRE verbal.  

Edited by ASzofer

Hello everyone!  I am new to this site but love all of the information.  I sent out my HSGE application (M.Ed in Education Policy and Management) on December 1, so it has been a whole lot of waiting.  Just heard that I got accepted to Vanderbilt's Peabody last week and Loyola University of Chicago the other day (In case I decide it's smarter to stay at home and work full time while getting my MA as I do have a mortgage).  

GRE Score: V 159, Q 153 AWA: 6.0

GPA: 3.70 career, 3.9 major

Work Experience: 5 years as a teacher.  One in an urban charter school on Chicago's south side, one in a rural school in Ohio, and the rest in a large suburban public school in the suburbs.  I am also an administrative assistant for an IT company, editing documents and print media that come from India.  

Research Experience: No professional research; however, I did several projects throughout undergrad on the injustices of public school funding and co-founded a campus organization researching the No Child Left Behind Act, leading demonstrations.  I was chosen to represent the student body in a community-wide debate against charters and school closures.  

Applying for PhD or Masters: Masters, 2013

Program: Education Policy & Management

What Other Schools Are You Applying To:  Vanderbilt MPP (accepted), Stanford POLS, Columbia TC, Northwestern (Haven't actually applied yet for they have a really late deadline) and Loyola U of Chicago (accepted)

Does anyone else's heart palpitate every time they see an email?  HSGE's program is pretty much my dream program.  I read about it and get doe-eyed pretty much.  That being said, I realize it's a stretch.  Especially since I have a pretty weak GRE verbal.  

Your verbal score of 159 is in the 80 percentile, which is only 3.1 below the average percentile of an Ed.M. student at Harvard (which is equivalent to a 160). I wouldn't classify that as "pretty weak" at all; in actuality, that's close enough to average.  Percentile wise, your QR score (56 percentile, 153) actually has a greater disparity relative to Harvard's average (66.6 percentile, which is about a 155-156).

That being said, your AWA is spectacular - exceptional by all standards. Moreover, you have good experience and a nice undergraduate GPA.

I think you're fine, tbh.

I, on the other hand, have no work experience going for me (only a senior in undergrad) and have a GRE of 154 V, 154 QR, and 4.5 AWA. So, I'm average in QR, well below average in Verbal, and about average on AWA. I'm also 21, which is at the bottom of HGSE's age range (same goes for work experience, obviously). Therefore, I'm hoping my GPA (3.94 overall; 4.0 major; public state school), being in multiple honors programs, SoP, and recs get me in. If I do get in, it surely won't be because of my work experience (since it's non-existent) or GRE score. It'll only be due to GPA, SoP, and maybe my recs. I can't speak to how good they are, as I waived my right to access. But, they did help get me into Penn...so I'm hoping they're also good enough for HGSE. In all, though, I feel like I'll be lucky to get in, as I think I have age, work experience, and my GRE verbal working against me.

Anyway, I hope that serves as a confidence booster to you!

Edited by CQE

I think you probably make a fabulously competitive applicant, ASzofer! I'm sure all of you awesome people do. :)

And CQE, I totally understand how you feel. I'm reading over your stats right now and I feel ya - we're both pretty young (I just graduated), but you have a strong application and you'll bring a great perspective wherever you go, and fit is what matters most to HGSE.

The moment I found out about the AIE program, it was just it for me. A totally perfect launching point for the things I'd like to do considering my love of museums and media and theater and ramblerambleramble! And that feeling's only gotten stronger since talking to faculty and current students and doing the open house thing. Gahhh, dreams!

Edited by merrysoprano

I think you probably make a fabulously competitive applicant, ASzofer! I'm sure all of you awesome people do. :)

And CQE, I totally understand how you feel. I'm reading over your stats right now and I feel ya - we're both pretty young (I just graduated), but you have a strong application and you'll bring a great perspective wherever you go, and fit is what matters most to HGSE.

The moment I found out about the AIE program, it was just it for me. A totally perfect launching point for the things I'd like to do considering my love of museums and media and theater and ramblerambleramble! And that feeling's only gotten stronger since talking to faculty and current students and doing the open house thing. Gahhh, dreams!

Thanks, Merry. Hopefully HGSE agrees!

Your stats look great, too, BTW.  A 3.8 at Swarthmore, Amherst, or Williams is definitely something to be proud of (US News, ftw!)!

I've already begun following the Boston Bruins since the NHL season has started, LOL. I'm a big sports guy, so adopting Boston teams would be an awesome time for me considering little 'ol Alabama has no professional teams to speak of.  :(

BTW, if anyone is visiting Boston to see HGSE anytime soon, I recommend staying at the Harborside Inn. Priceline usually offers pretty good deals for them, so the price + location is just about unbeatable. Perfect location, as a T stop (called the Aquarium stop) is literally right beside the front doors of the hotel. Additionally, you can walk to Quincy Market in about 2-3 minutes and be on some part of the Freedom Trail in about 5 minutes. Plus, Boston Harbor is super close (hence the name, derp derp). 

You all look like great applicants. Fingers crossed!

I'm worried about fit, though. EPM is perfect for me as a career-changer with a lot of threads that I want to explore, but I'm not sure I have much interesting to offer Harvard, unfortunately. 

On an unrelated note, I saw on the blog that you can take courses at MIT and Tufts. HGSE's program is just off the charts amazing.

I've already begun following the Boston Bruins since the NHL season has started, LOL. I'm a big sports guy, so adopting Boston teams would be an awesome time for me considering little 'ol Alabama has no professional teams to speak of.

Yeah, idk how I'm going to survive as a Yankee fan if I get in  :o lol

Edited by m26

I visited Harvard and Boston about three weeks ago. And, after visiting, I feel like I just have to get in because I loved both Boston and Harvard. I'm going to jump off a building if I don't get in...a one-story building, that is.

But seriously, March cannot come fast enough.

Ditto, CQE! I visited Boston and Harvard for the first time last May and just fell in love. Went to an info session, talked to staff, and wandered the campus and that did it for me. I even geeked out by checking out my program's textbooks in the bookstore - silly, but that cemented that this is what I want to do with my life. That whole experience is what inspired me to apply to grad school and I'm so glad I did. I've visited Boston a few times since then (BF lives there) and Harvard/Harvard Square is always a must visit on those trips. So, needless to say, I would just love to go there...it's definitely my #1 choice.

As another who read last year's HGSE thread (in the name of research, of course! ;)), I also predict we'll be hearing the first week of March, by the 8th at the latest. I hate to wish time away, but come on, March!

Edited by Loseric

Ditto, CQE! I visited Boston and Harvard for the first time last May and just fell in love. Went to an info session, talked to staff, and wandered the campus and that did it for me. I even geeked out by checking out my program's textbooks in the bookstore - silly, but that cemented that this is what I want to do with my life. That whole experience is what inspired me to apply to grad school and I'm so glad I did. I've visited Boston a few times since then (BF lives there) and Harvard/Harvard Square is always a must visit on those trips. So, needless to say, I would just love to go there...it's definitely my #1 choice.

As another who read last year's HGSE thread (in the name of research, of course! ;)), I also predict we'll be hearing the first week of March, by the 8th at the latest. I hate to wish time away, but come on, March!

March 8th is actually my birthday...

What a birthday gift it'd be to get into Harvard, eh?

Similarly, what an equally brutal birthday it'd be if I got REJECTED. I already got the wahhhhhhhhbulance on speed dial, just in case.

You all look like great applicants. Fingers crossed!   I'm worried about fit, though. EPM is perfect for me as a career-changer with a lot of threads that I want to explore, but I'm not sure I have much interesting to offer Harvard, unfortunately.    On an unrelated note, I saw on the blog that you can take courses at MIT and Tufts. HGSE's program is just off the charts amazing.     Yeah, idk how I'm going to survive as a Yankee fan if I get in  :o lol
I'm a Yankee and Heat fan so the transition will be awkward, but fun! The opportunities at HGSE are amazing, it's a shame the EdM is only one year!

it's a shame the EdM is only one year!

I actually consider this to be one of the strengths of the program, it saves you money on school and allows you to start working a year sooner to pay off that hefty tuition.

March 8th is actually my birthday...

What a birthday gift it'd be to get into Harvard, eh?

Similarly, what an equally brutal birthday it'd be if I got REJECTED. I already got the wahhhhhhhhbulance on speed dial, just in case.

Oh, man, I thought I had it bad - we're leaving on a short vacation on March 8th with no access to internet during that time. So, needless to say, I am PRAYING we hear before the 8th too, but for a different reason. I can't imagine having the decision delivered on my birthday - what a day to remember!

Happy early birthday, btw!

I'm a Yankee and Heat fan so the transition will be awkward, but fun! The opportunities at HGSE are amazing, it's a shame the EdM is only one year!

I used to think the one year length was one of the program's strengths, for both financial and time considerations. While I'm still a fan, after reading about all the opportunities and courses HGSE has that I want to take advantage of, I'm beginning to feel badly there's only one year to enjoy them! #firstworldproblems, anyone?

Edited by Loseric

Oh, man, I thought I had it bad - we're leaving on a short vacation on March 8th with no access to internet during that time. So, needless to say, I am PRAYING we hear before the 8th too, but for a different reason. I can't imagine having the decision delivered on my birthday - what a day to remember!

Happy early birthday, btw!

I used to think the one year length was one of the program's strengths, for both financial and time considerations. While I'm still a fan, after reading about all the opportunities and courses HGSE has that I want to take advantage of, I'm beginning to feel badly there's only one year to enjoy them! #firstworldproblems, anyone?

Haha! Or possibly a day NOT to remember.

Hopefully we hear around the 7th or 8th so that your vacation is da best 0f all tymez and my birthday isn't spent swimming in a pool of my own tears. 

Had to +1 you for the "#firstworldproblems", too. I said that to my buddy last week after he posted something on FB along the lines of, "When I ordered the JUNIOR plate of pancakes, I didn't think I was going to get a GIANT plate."

Edited by CQE

Is anyone else going through moments of confidence and then extreme self doubt? I just want to get this over with. HGSE just tell me where I stand!! ....it will probably be the last school I hear from and it's driving me crazy.

Edited by emg28