HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Haha. It is taking a lot of work actually. I don't mind spending a bunch of time applying for a scholarship, but finding them is tough. It's much easier to find scholarships for undergrad. Oh well. I'm starting by looking at external scholarships links on different ed school sites. So far, I've applied to a pathetic 2 scholarships, but hoping I can get up to my goal within the 100 days :).

So in preparation for graduate school (and the fact that I'm about to drop $1,000 on my car :angry: ), I've decided to take the 100 day scholarship challenge. One scholarship every day for 100 days. If I apply to 100, I've got to get at least one or two, right? Anyone want to join me?

I think Ill join you! i guess out of a 100, if even 4 0r 5 agree, it's gotta add up to something!!!

BTW, has anyone heard from EDM Human Development and Psychology yet?

So in preparation for graduate school (and the fact that I'm about to drop $1,000 on my car :angry: ), I've decided to take the 100 day scholarship challenge. One scholarship every day for 100 days. If I apply to 100, I've got to get at least one or two, right? Anyone want to join me?

also, it'll give me something to do rather than just sit here and share nervous energy. waiting is driving me crazy but seeing that some ppl have got into places is driving me crazier!

also, it'll give me something to do rather than just sit here and share nervous energy. waiting is driving me crazy but seeing that some ppl have got into places is driving me crazier!

Yay! Welcome :). It definitely has kept my mind off of Tuesday. I'm up to 7 with a potential 8 and 9. Darn ones I have to print out and mail in!

Applying to scholarships sounds like a good idea. INSTEAD of spending money I don't really have on a "graduate wardrobe" lol.... It's what I've been doing to avoid dealing with the waiting game. ARGGGGHHH.....I'm guilty of checking my app status today too. But surprise surprise....there's nothing posted. Yet, it makes me feel like I'm doing something lol 

Applying to scholarships sounds like a good idea. INSTEAD of spending money I don't really have on a "graduate wardrobe" lol.... It's what I've been doing to avoid dealing with the waiting game. ARGGGGHHH.....I'm guilty of checking my app status today too. But surprise surprise....there's nothing posted. Yet, it makes me feel like I'm doing something lol 

Haha. Trust me, you're not the only one!

Speaking of a graduate wardrobe...LOL...

I love v-neck sweaters, but I need to add to my collection (~10 of 'em). Outside of that, I have one suit and a couple of button-downs. Pretty bad for a business major, eh?

I'm in my senior year of undergrad and I dress like IDGAF. LMAO. On the days I have class, I typically a raggedy t-shirt under a zip-up hoody, along with a hat. I haven't even been putting my contacts in the last month or so. Just rollin' with my Coke-bottle glasses.

#hobostatus

Edited by CQE

Hahaha. I'm scared of what the winter is going to be like in other places. It's currently 70 degrees where I am right now.

As for the scholarships... I'm trying to figure that out. I'm going to my city's area foundation during Spring Break so they can help me. In the meantime, I'm on random internet sites. There seem to be scholarships for people who want to be teachers, but not that much for those who want to participate in other parts of education.

Hahaha. I'm scared of what the winter is going to be like in other places. It's currently 70 degrees where I am right now.

As for the scholarships... I'm trying to figure that out. I'm going to my city's area foundation during Spring Break so they can help me. In the meantime, I'm on random internet sites. There seem to be scholarships for people who want to be teachers, but not that much for those who want to participate in other parts of education.

70 degrees?

Jezeus Christé!

I'm in Alabama and even we got a little snowfall today (not a blanket, by any means, but a little sprinkle of snow).

And yeah...finding the scholarships probably take longer than actually doing the essays for them!

70 degrees?

Jezeus Christé!

I'm in Alabama and even we got a little snowfall today (not a blanket, by any means, but a little sprinkle of snow).

And yeah...finding the scholarships probably take longer than actually doing the essays for them!

Yup! It got down to a "cold" 40 degrees tonight, but during the day it's pretty warm.

ok now what is a graduate wardrobe???!!! coz that's a whole new investment! and a vry imp one for a girl!

ok now what is a graduate wardrobe???!!! coz that's a whole new investment! and a vry imp one for a girl!

Oh wow. Didn't notice that you were from Pune until just now.

Did you ever happen to have a teacher by the last name of Gokhale (first name started with a K)?

Just wondering because I know a K. Gokhale! She was a teacher from India that visited my AP U.S. History class for a week or two back in 2007.

Edited by CQE

Did you ever happen to have a teacher by the last name of Gokhale (first name started with a K)?

Just wondering because I know a K. Gokhale! She was a teacher from India that visited my AP U.S. History class for a week or two back in 2007.

awww....there must be at least 10,000 Gokhale's in Pune alone :D I never had her as my teacher.....what's AP btw? Have you been to Pune?

oh AL's your state? got it!

awww....there must be at least 10,000 Gokhale's in Pune alone :D I never had her as my teacher.....what's AP btw? Have you been to Pune?

Yeah, I thought Gokhale might be the same as Smith here in the States! I just wanted to take a poke at it because those "small world" moments are cool when they occur!

To answer your questions, though:

AP = Advanced Placement, which is a designation for advanced classes here in the U.S. that are affiliated with an organization called College Board. It's the same association that makes the SAT.

And nah, I've never been to Pune. Speaking with "Gokhale Ma'am," as one of her students called her, is the closest I've been to Pune!

But, FWIW, I'm doing a semester-long project for International Marketing where our target country is India for our product/store. B)

Edited by CQE

I'm actually visiting India this summer.  I'm looking forward to it!  Trying to cram as much as possible into 10 days, which is probably really difficult.  I have some friends in Hyderabad that I will be meeting during the last part of my trip before I fly to Bangkok and spend another 10 days in Thailand.  You know, so that I can come home a month before I move somewhere!  Yikes.  Probably bad planning both time wise and financially, but I figure I'm going to have really busy summers after this so now was the last chance I'd get.  

Sometimes I think I am posting on this forum just to have a connection to HSGE and my application haha.  I don't actually have anything to say.   The anticipation is killing me and every time I have a conversation with someone about Vanderbilt, I have to be like "Well... I'm still waiting to hear back from Harvard, so I can't be sure of where I am going at all..."  On top of it, I was supposed to get confirmation of whether or not I've been given a graduate assistantship by the end of last week and instead they choose to keep me on their toes!  Woe is me!  (JK.  I will survive).  Two more days!  (We think and hope). 

Sometimes I think I am posting on this forum just to have a connection to HSGE and my application haha.  I don't actually have anything to say.   The anticipation is killing me and every time I have a conversation with someone about Vanderbilt, I have to be like "Well... I'm still waiting to hear back from Harvard, so I can't be sure of where I am going at all..."  On top of it, I was supposed to get confirmation of whether or not I've been given a graduate assistantship by the end of last week and instead they choose to keep me on their toes!  Woe is me!  (JK.  I will survive).  Two more days!  (We think and hope). 

My thoughts exactly exactly. It's been so nice having a group of awesome folks who know what I'm going through! I did an admitted students day at GWU yesterday and it was the same thing... Like, idensdgdsg, HGSE, I'm keyboard smashing for you. We can do it!

Haha, I have a little bit of an online window shopping habit, so acquiring a ~*fancy grad school wardrobe*~ is on my mind a lot. :P I rocked a lot of dresses in undergrad that will hold up, but we will see about my threadbare Target tees.

Hopefully the smiley face came through...

Hahaha

Best. Breakfast. Ever!

Yay, GradCafe is swell. Only two more days, maybe? I'm on my way up to Philly to spend the day at my alma mater to distract me. :)

Yep, mine's the same. I think, anyway. And I also got that Financial Aid status email and almost flipped out. I'm at work in a quiet museum atm so flailing is (ALAS) out of the question.

And welcome, dodoeducation! What program did you apply for?

Hi merrysoprano, I applied for the IEP program... nice to meet you!

I'm guessing we will all know our results this time next Tuesday (hopefully!)...

I'm actually visiting India this summer.  I'm looking forward to it!  Trying to cram as much as possible into 10 days, which is probably really difficult.  I have some friends in Hyderabad that I will be meeting during the last part of my trip before I fly to Bangkok and spend another 10 days in Thailand.  You know, so that I can come home a month before I move somewhere!  Yikes.  Probably bad planning both time wise and financially, but I figure I'm going to have really busy summers after this so now was the last chance I'd get.  

Oh wow! Thailand and India. I wish I had the opportunity to do that! Maybe next year for me and my fiancee's honeymoon? Muahahaha. I wish.

Speaking of places to visit, I'd love to see Dubai one day. That place looks straight out of a Sci-Fi  movie...and I'm not talking the crap ones on the SyFy channel, LOL.

I totally know how you feel about Vandy & HGSE, though. I'm in the same boat, but my "girlfriend #2" is Penn instead of Vandy.

Wakka, wakka, wakka. In two days, we'll both know (hopefully)!

Edited by CQE

Me too! You're not the only one, ASzofer! If only HGSE saw our dedication to their school via how many posts populate this thread each day, maybe they'd admit us all just for that. On second thought, they'd probably just be a little disturbed, lol.

When asked where I'll be attending, I respond to everyone the same way: "well, I've been accepted to a lot of schools, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Harvard...oh, and for financial aid too." You'd think we'd all be a little more sure of ourselves with acceptances under our belts, but I think it also makes things a little scarier and more uncertain. You guys on Gradcafe keep me sane some days. It's so great having others who are in the same boat to commiserate and pass the time with. I don't know how I would have weathered this process without this forum. :)