HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

TC Next Step website says this:

"Early Deadline: Applicants that met the early deadline for our programs that begin in the fall can expect to receive an admission decision via email around the middle-to-end of March."

Whether it's done in a mass blast or a rolling trickle, got me coach! I'm not particularly placing my bets on hearing from them tomorrow or anytime until later in the month, given that their application deadline was after HGSEs.....and Penn is on week six with my application and I still haven't heard a peep so I'm waxing cynical........

Anyone who is waiting for tc may do well in looking at previous years' acceptance dates on the results board. They tend to be pretty consistent over the years and across programs in terms of when we can expect to hear.

So we have it narrowed down to tomorrow between 4:45-5:30 it looks like from perusing this and the last couple of years posts...am I correct in thinking that would be Eastern Standard Time?  If it is then I will be getting the news while with a class of middle schoolers (we have extended day), which could be good or bad!

Wow, I've been gone from GC two nights and I've got a full four pages' worth of pre-decision anxiety here. :P nonetheless, you guys are so great and I'm so glad we're sharing this experience together. Not sure if anyone else in real life quite understands what my career goals are, ha...

I work 7:30am-4:00 pm today and tomorrow so hopefully that will keep my busy enough.

What I'm worried about is sleeping...I barely slept last night I was too nervous, and I anticipate that tonight will be worse. I'm trying not to drink any coffee after noon today and then I'm going to go workout at the gym so I hopefully I can tire myself out enough that I'll actually get sleep hahaha.

And that being said, if we do not hear tomorrow I'm going to be so disappointed! I have been telling myself "just get yourself to March 5th and then you'll know". 

Fingers crossed for everyone!

This made me LMAO because I was in the middle of guzzling down a cup of 2/3 coffee with 1/3 french vanilla creme, brought to you by International Delight.

Remember!

It's not a cup of coffee without International Delight...

tumblr_leqkn9xRcN1qegjjv.gif

Edited by CQE

Now CQE's avatar gets its big shining moment. I sure hope our decisions are only a day away.

cat-shock.gif

...guess I'm trying to go ahead and get a head start on that gif thread... :lol:

Edited by CQE

It might just be me, but I feel like finding out due to a random check of the website is less stressful than getting the e-mail and then checking the website -- maybe I'll close my mac mail and turn off my iPhone tomorrow afternoon and just check the website every 20 minutes...the anticipation and nervousness is crazy!

Edited by Hodges

I just got confirmation that my financial aid went through, I had to fax in a copy of my passport today to verify that I was a citizen. Did anyone else have to do this?

I just got confirmation that my financial aid went through, I had to fax in a copy of my passport today to verify that I was a citizen. Did anyone else have to do this?

No, but I'm curious to know why I haven't received an email as well. I'll usually have to proof citizenship because FAFSA always stars my status. When did you submit your FAFSA if you don't mind me asking?

I submitted my FAFSA January 3rd, but they didn't say anything until I called the financial aid office on Friday to see if they received everything, and that's when they told me I needed to verify my citizenship. Hopefully, that won't be an issue for you, since they didn't let you know by the deadline. 

I mailed my tax return and w-2s to them last Wednesday, got delivery confirmation from FedEx on Friday, and then today got an email from the HGSE financial aid office saying my financial aid application is now officially complete and, if admitted, aid decisions will be made available late March or early April.

I don't know if this is what it could be, but anytime this happens to one of my students, it's because they were born somewhere other than the United States. Usually this happens if they were born on a military base. Otherwise, I don't have any ideas.

It might just be me, but I feel like finding out due to a random check of the website is less stressful than getting the e-mail and then checking the website -- maybe I'll close my mac mail and turn off my iPhone tomorrow afternoon and just check the website every 20 minutes...the anticipation and nervousness is crazy!

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do about that too. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be driving when the email hits. I'm thinking about turning off my phone and waiting until I get home. I really don't want a moment like that to happen while I'm at work-- either I wouldn't be able to celebrate, or I would be trying to hold back tears. Either way, I couldn't be fully present at work. And trying to check my status on my phone while I'm driving (or pulling off to the side of the road) sounds like a terrible idea too. I think I'm going to turn off my phone at 3:30 CST and not check until I get home. It's going to be really REALLY difficult, but I think it's best.

Sorry to be posting so many times in a row, but I thought I would share my acceptance/rejection mini-playlist:

Accepted!

- DJ Khaled "All I do is win"

- The Script "Hall of Fame"

Rejected :(:

- Gary Allan "Every Storm (runs out of rain)"

- Shawn Mullins "Lullaby"

Anyone have any good ones to share? :)

This dude doesn't listen to much music nowadays (no iPod, no music downloading, etc.). So...when I find something I like, I tend to play it every time I'm in the mood for music.

That being said, I listened to Birdy (young female artist from the UK) when I wrote my SoP for Penn & HGSE. I also listened to her when I got into Penn.

^ Probably my favorite song of hers. I'll listen to her regardless of the outcome, though.

Wow... in one day I missed a whole lot of posts!!  I have not heard about my financial aid status - I just faxed my W2s yesterday and really hope they got them.  I have literally checked my email every three minutes or so today.  It's getting ridiculous. 

And I still haven't heard about the graduate assistantship and they told me they hoped to let me know by the end of last week.  I'm dying over here! 

I also agree that my heart stopped when I saw the HSGE newsletter email.  I'm going to be a crazy person tomorrow. 

To comment on all of the discussions about clothes from yesterday, I actually feel like it's easier to dress nice in the cold than when it's hot out.  I am a big fan of tights under knee-length skirts and long-sleeved shirts with a pretty scarf.  As a Chicago resident and teacher, I have to dress for winter every day, but it doesn't deter me from wearing nice shoes even.  I mean, if it's blizzarding and I have to scrape my car or something, I throw on some boots and switch to heels later, but for the most part, I just trust my ever-accumulating collection of coats and scarves.  And generally, I just wear darker colors than spring and summer.  Burgandies, purples, greys, blacks, etc.  

I can't believe it's almost March 5!! (watch us not hear tomorrow and then we'll have no clue what day to wait for!)

And I still haven't heard about the graduate assistantship and they told me they hoped to let me know by the end of last week.  I'm dying over here! 

Just to clarify.. This is not at HGSE, you're talking about Vandy, right?

Just to clarify.. This is not at HGSE, you're talking about Vandy, right?

Ah yes!  Sorry!!! Didn't mean to confuse.   The Vandy grad assistantship I interviewed for two weeks ago.  :)  Do HSGE grad assistantships even exist?  I was told almost all positions go to PhD candidates.  

That's ok. In the higher ed dept, they say that about 3/4 of the people have internships, but not grad assistantships.  I don't know about Ed Policy. I thought I remembered you talking about that on the Vandy board, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a super secret assistantship Harvard deal going on that I was unaware of :). Good luck with the Vandy assistantship and good luck tomorrow!!

I just put two bottles of bubbly in the fridge to have on hand tomorrow evening; a nice one for celebration and a cheap one for commiseration!!

(you know you have a champagne problem when you just happen to already have both these on hand??)