Working During School- Should I Just Quit?

ruru107

I'm currently taking 12 credit hours while also TAing. I have another--unrelated--job (fast food...ugh). At the start of my employment, I told my boss that I was in grad school, and I could work 2 days a week AT MOST. She said it would be no problem...however, she has consistently scheduled me for 3 or 4 days a week. This weekend I've been scheduled for 21 hours, and I have a major paper to present next week! I feel lost, extremely behind, and scatter-brained. Being accepted into grad school is a great opportunity, and if I mess it up because I fell behind, I will feel like a piece of crap.

I don't really need the income this semester because of my stipend, and it won't make a dent in the loans I'm taking out for next semester. So from a financial standpoint, the job is neither here nor there.

I want to quit outright (rather than request fewer hours), but I've developed a good relationship with my managers and coworkers, and I've been described as the "model employee." I would feel like such a backstabber if I submitted my two weeks notice out of nowhere. This is the only thing that's holding me back from quitting. It's a stressful, disrespected job that pays $7.50/hr and has no relation to my career goals.

Should I get over my squeamishness and just quit?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I think you answered your own question. It's stressful and disrespected. I'm sure you're a great worker, but do you really want to be the "model employee" for a fast-food job? If you were an undergrad I would say stick with it, but you're a grad student. If you don't need it don't do it.

Edited by JoeyBoy718

Yes. You can go, talk to your manager, tell her that you've been given a stipend, the you are overstressed from doing both gradschool and this job, and that you can't continue. It seems like a really simple decision.

QUIT. Graduate school is difficult enough on its own. The job doesn't seem like it's adding anything to you either financially or developmentally. Fast food deals with high turnover all the time, and in this economy they will easily find someone to replace you. Quit and don't even dwell on it.

• 2 weeks later...

You might have to access the financial situation for yourself. You say you have a stipend, so basically your tuition and living expenses are taken care of. The money that comes from this part-time job is extra, but this extra might come at the cost of your grades, or worse your health.

I can relate with you because I never worked in the first two semesters of my current master's program and I just started a job this month in my thirs semester. Boy, it IS stressful. I work 20 hours and the commute is 12 hours for this 20 hour job. It makes me so tired in my classes, I crave sleep andm ore time to get my study-related stuff done.

Bottomline - quit the job if your finances(now and near future) are sorted out.

EDIT: I would tell this fast-food job manager the truth - you scheduled me more hours than I committed to and my studies are taking a back-seat. I quit .

Edited by nehs

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I only tutor, where I control my own hours, but even then sometimes I find my schedule overwhelming. Mostly because it eats into my evenings and weekends free time, but it pays really well and I really enjoy it.

Yeah, I couldn't imagine holding down a job where you can't manage your own hours while being in grad school. My TA at my undergrad also works full time at a restaurant. His free time must be non-existant

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to be rude, but is there any question about this at all? Even if you weren't stressed or disrespected by this job, I'd say just quit, because the fast food salary is so low and opportunity cost so high, surely you would have greater utility if that time was spent doing something else.

You don't have to put up with that stuff. Your education is far more important. Don't worry, your colleagues won't judge you.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate all of the support on here that helped me work up the nerve to quit! I quit about a month ago, and thank God I didn't put it off any longer! I barely got all of my end-of-semester work finished as it is; I can't imagine how impossible it would have been if I was working.

Even if this decision seemed like a no-brainer to some people, I'm an extremely non-confrontational person, and I've never quit a job before, so this made me sick just thinking about it.

Thankfully, my managers were extremely understanding. They said that I was making the right decision and that school should come first. And I'm welcome back whenever I need some extra cash! All in all, the situation turned out much better than I expected.

Thanks everybody!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think what is the most important thing to ask yourself is what you want more? Do you want to work in the restaurant or focus on your grad studies. I know that you have a certain loyalty to your manager, but now your circumstances has changed and with it you can't juggle the job, school, and your sanity. I am positive your manager will be understanding and there will be no backlash. It sounds like you have made up your mind so just act on it.