Engineering GRE Question

I am applying to top-ranked PhD programs in engineering.

About a month ago, I took the GREs and my scores were somewhat of a fluke: quant was much lower than I was expecting and verbal was higher than I was expecting. (164 Q 90%/166 V 96%/5 AW 92%). Based on my performance on practice tests, I was expecting scores more along the lines of (167-170 Q/160-162 V/Not sure AW).

This Sunday, I am planning on taking the GRE again. Does anyone have a feeling for the trade-off here for engineering programs? For example, would a (170Q/160V/4 AW) look better than (164 Q/166 V/5 AW)? I was assuming yes, but from what I've been reading, more weight is put on verbal GRE scores in engineering programs than I thought. I am asking in advance, because I would like to submit my scores at the testing center in order to meet application deadlines.

Any thoughts here? Am I over thinking it?

Edited by DocLex

I think your GRE scores are great. I know that in many STEM fields, you might get a sense that students are expected to score perfectly on the Quant since it's high-school level math. However, since it's high-school level math, you obviously know how to do it if you have an engineering degree, so they will probably consider a score like yours (probably 1-2 questions wrong) just a bad fluke -- perhaps you made a silly mistake. It's not going to be damning and they definitely won't think that you can't do math!

I'm not an engineer myself, so I am just extrapolating from physical sciences that STEM fields are pretty similar, but I'd say that your first set of GRE score is good enough to get in anywhere. That is, I don't think your score will fail the cutoff at any school!

Thanks for the feedback! It definitely helps test anxiety to know I can fallback on my current scores. I think I will go with my new scores assuming Q is significantly higher and cumulative doesn't drop precipitously.

If I remember correctly, you'll have to decide whether to submit your test-day scores before you see the results of your test... i.e. you won't be able to look at your new scores to see whether your Q is higher/verbal doesn't drop before deciding whether to submit them that day...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

unless you application is not support by research/work experience, you might wanna go in for GRE. Its more of a cut-off parameter. I haace check many uni where your quant score might be fine. But than again am from chemical/materials and you seem from comp.sc&eng. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, good scores. Yes, you should retake it.

If you feel that you can do better then do it. It's a competitive climate out there. Improve every aspect of your application that you can.

For the record, some programs use it exclusively as a cutoff. Others legitamately care.

Either way, other applicants will bring their A-game. You better bring yours.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

If money isn't an issue and it'll make you feel better then retake it. I don't think you need to though, your scores are great. For top PhD programs, I don't think that score will decrease your chances. What will be more important is the rest of your application.

Edited by TeaGirl

Honestly even if you score perfect across the board again, it's not going to make a significant difference.

Your GRE scores are good enough to get you past the "cut-off", after which GRE scores are largely meaningless compared to the rest of your application

• 2 weeks later...

I am not in engineering but I have very similar GRE scores and I am in a STEM area with a lot of material science and engineering cross-over and I didn't have any trouble with higher verbal scores but "lower" quantitative scores.  In fact, several POI commented that it was refreshing to have someone with strong English skills in field where that is rare.  And as other people have said, if you have solid math grades and have taken many advanced math courses, I think that holds more weight unless your math score was really dismal, which it is decidedly not.

(edit) Just saw that I am giving advice to someone who asked for advice in November.  Why oh why don't I ever see that until this late?  Anyway, maybe this will help some future would-be-poster.

Edited by Queen of Kale