Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2013

StructuralEngr88

Hi, when did you hear about your admit from JHU, I have applied in CMRL under Prof. Ghosh but didn't hear anything.

I was informed on late February. I wish you to hear good news soon.

I see at least one in the results database.  Given how many americans posted acceptances and how many international students posted rejections, I'd tend to agree that it seems like a trend, but with one acceptance that doesn't seem so clear.  I'd assume there are more?

The nerd in me is now trying to decide if the sample size gives us enough to go off of, but the lazy person in me isn't going to figure out the statistical significance of this.

Does anyone have access to the full US News rankings?

And if so, would anyone mind helping with my burning curiosity to know where the UC Davis Civil program is in the 2013-14 rankings? :)

Civil Engineering Rankings(2014)

1. UIUC
2. UCB
3. Stanford
4. GA Tech
5. UT Austin
6. Purdue
7. MIT, UMich and Virginia Tech

10. CMU and Cornell
12. Northwestern
13. TAMU, UC Davis, Univ of Wisconsin Madison
16. CalTech, Penn State, Univ. of Washington
19. Lehigh University, Princeton, UCSD, Univ of Colorado Boulder, Univ. of Minnesota Twin Cities
24. Johns Hopkins, SUNY
26. Columbia, NCSU, Rensselaer Poly, USC, Maryland, UCLA, 

I hope this helps..  :) 

Edited by anshuman2k7

UCB: I called Shelley Okimoto today who told me that they were mostly done with the admission of domestic students while still working on the case of international candidates. I have asked only for SEMM.

Edited by niven2

Hey everyone! Congratulations to all those admitted! I'm Still waiting on a few replies but I don't imagine I'll turn down the opportunity I have at UT Austin.

Undergrad Degree: Bachelors of Architecture at Iowa State University (1st ranked in class; emphasis in structural engineering; minor in philosophy)

Overall GPA: 3.87 / 4.00

Eng. GPA: 3.80 / 4.00

2.5 years of work experience in structural engineering consultancy

No research experience

Applied: UCB, UIUC, UMich, UMinn, MIT, Cornell, & UTAustin

Accepted: MIT, Cornell, UTAustin ( with 20 hr Teaching Assistantship! )

Rejected: None so far....

Congrats on getting into UT Austin!  I went their for my undergrad, and the program is truly stellar.  Their on-campus facilities are a bit old, but when you get to the off-campus labs and see what the faculty is doing, you realize why they're ranked as high as they are.

Since I'm a huge nerd, I pulled some results from the Results page into excel (for Civil generally, not specifically structural) and got some averages and standard deviations.  They are:

NCSU: Average Response: March 14th;  Std. Dev.: 16 Days
UT Austin: March 2nd; 25 Days
Georgia Tech: April 2nd; 20 Days (Small sample size though)
Columbia: March 17th; 25 Days
UC San Diego: March 7th; 25 Days

I'm not sure if the dates are that significant, but the standard deviations seemed fairly consistent, which surprised me.  Apparently we should always expect to hear back from a program "give or take a month."  Food for thought.

(Those are the programs I applied to except for CU-Boulder, which I had already heard back from by the time I went crazy enough to do this.)  I hope this is slightly helpful to some people...

Edited by JPeterman

Did any international student got acceptance from UCSD, Structural Eng masters. 

Im intl. student studying in the U.S. now...just got my rej. on Monday night...

Hello everyone,

Has anyone heard about the Purdue admission for PhD? 

I am invited to "recruiting weekend" at Virginia Tech. Has anyone received the same invitation to Virginia Tech?

Thanks.

My information:

Master Degree at Georgia Tech

Apply for PhD program in Fall 2013

GPA: 3.92

GRE: 168Q, 146V, 4W

Applied: UIUC, UCB, UW, NW, VT, TAMU, UT, Purdue, Georgia Tech, Lehigh

Accepted: NW (with fund)

Rejected: UT

Invited to open house: NW, VT (Virginia Tech)

I have no idea why UT Austin reject me :(( bye bye my favorite school...

UCB: Well, if I compare with the posted results of last year, I presume all what we wait for is a massive rejection day by next week. Let's see what happens...

Professor at VT is trying to get me in... That's all I know...Which schools you had the admission results? Thanks.

till now  UT austin reject.... hoping to get into VT because intially in VT i applied for MS but i got an email during feb end from coordinator saying that SEM faculty wants me to consider for phd.few days back i emailed her regarding admission decision and she replied that they are still reviewing my application.Hoping for best waiting for my first admit.btw i applied for UCSD phd also but still no news.

For PhD Applicants: I called Purdue, TAMU, UMich to ask about the admission status. They said they sent out some offer 2 weeks ago... Which means for those of you (and me) who haven't gotten any results yet will have low chance... So please update your status whenever you get admission results (even reject or accept). Thank you so much!