Program Specific Questions - Fall 2013

I'm about 99.9% sure this has been answer on these boards and recently but I'm not exercising good logic right now. Do I really have to send anything (SOP/cv) to Buffalo if I've uploaded the documents to the application itself? Different parts of the app say different things.

I'm about 99.9% sure this has been answer on these boards and recently but I'm not exercising good logic right now. Do I really have to send anything (SOP/cv) to Buffalo if I've uploaded the documents to the application itself? Different parts of the app say different things.

I didn't. I just wrote "See attached CV" and "See attached Personal Statement" in those boxes. I hope I'm right because, honestly, I have no fucking idea what they expect. I also didn't upload the "optional" unofficial GRE scores because they're getting my official scores from ETS so why upload unofficial... I'm already doubting my choices.

hey sebastian, i haven't yet gotten to that portion of my UCR app (it's on the agenda for tonight), but if you're still having trouble uploading maybe email Tina Feldman and ask if you can send the writing sample directly to her?

I tried calling, but Tina Feldmann is not in the office on Mondays. But the app is due today...

So... hmm....

I think I am going to submit a standard-sized statement, disregarding the maximum on the graduate department's application. I will call her again tomorrow, and ask if the English department does have a limit, and if so, I'll ask if I can resubmit a shorter SOP.

I tried calling, but Tina Feldmann is not in the office on Mondays. But the app is due today...

So... hmm....

I think I am going to submit a standard-sized statement, disregarding the maximum on the graduate department's application. I will call her again tomorrow, and ask if the English department does have a limit, and if so, I'll ask if I can resubmit a shorter SOP.

that sounds like a good plan. i'll keep my fingers crossed for you! i'll be submitting tonight after taking a final. yay? my stress level is through the roof on this one.

ETA: the application, that is. not the final.

Edited by lisajay

I didn't. I just wrote "See attached CV" and "See attached Personal Statement" in those boxes. I hope I'm right because, honestly, I have no fucking idea what they expect. I also didn't upload the "optional" unofficial GRE scores because they're getting my official scores from ETS so why upload unofficial... I'm already doubting my choices.

Ok, thanks. I also put the relevant text in the boxes so I feel like they already have all of my information twice, so why would they want it a third time?

i just have to say, I love how department websites are so very clear about their applications logistics and that there are never inconsistencies across the several different pages of a department's site, and that they are always nicely complemented and corroborated by the directions on the graduate school's site and various sets of application directions. This has made this process so very stress free.

B)

i just have to say, I love how department websites are so very clear about their applications logistics and that there are never inconsistencies across the several different pages of a department's site, and that they are always nicely complemented and corroborated by the directions on the graduate school's site and various sets of application directions. This has made this process so very stress free.

B)

I concur. I'm especially fond of the fact that no programs ever change their requirements or application websites from week to week either.

I concur. I'm especially fond of the fact that no programs ever change their requirements or application websites from week to week either.

Yes. Speaking of which: I may have been hallucinating a bit, but I thought I saw something somewhere on BU's site *today* about a changed process (something about differentiating between MA/PhD and straight-to-PhD) earlier today, and this evening I went to go find it again to make sure I was following the new directions, but I can NOT find this anywhere now.

Did anyone else see anything like this? I'm not going to sweat it if I can't find it online again and, anyway, I can't find anything special in the online application that indicates anything about options here to check, but I kinda feel like sites and schools are just f'ing with me now, and I want to know whether: 1) this is true or 2) I was probably hallucinating.

kthanksbye ;)

(edited to change the a/b list above to numbers because the b was getting changed into emoticon)

Edited by Imogene

I... believe so. I did five applications this weekend, so they're all running together a bit, but I'm pretty sure I did. Why?

Well they aren't listed as required on the department website (only SOP, recs, and the usual) and they're not starred as required on the app itself. I really didn't know we had to do this and thought we'd automatically be considered for teaching fellowships... I don't really have time anymore to get supervisor evals from everyone (I have one on file).

Ah, okay. I think I checked the box that said "GTF" or the equivalent, but I may be confusing it with another application. Sorry, between these applications and finishing up the semester with my class, my brain feels a bit like butterscotch pudding right now. :wacko:

Michigan State folks -- are we looking at a separate "personal statement" from the "statement of purpose?" Or is it all one? I am lost!

As far as I can tell they're just using the terms interchangeably. I'm just going with the standard SOP because the website says "750 to 1000 words giving the applicant’s academic and intellectual biography and the reason for seeking the degree for which application has been made". Pretty sure they definitely aren't asking for two different documents though. :)

I think the general consensus was to upload a CV, even if a school doesn't specifically ask for it. Was anyone able to upload one for Cornell? The last section of the application (for "additional materials") was grayed out, and said something like "Your program doesn't require any additional materials." I was kind of bummed because there's a lot of good stuff on my CV that just didn't make it onto the app.