Program Specific Questions - Fall 2013

My Penn app says completed on 1/8/13. I submitted it on 12/12/12 (cool!) if that helps.

Thanks, guys! Just checked again and it was "completed" yesterday. I submitted on 12/3/2012. I guess it's just arbitrary!

The XYZ online app has an optional section that says "If you have corresponded with or been interviewed by a member of our faculty about your plans for graduate study, please indicate below the name of the faculty member and the approximate date of the contact."

This feels like a trap. I don't know why. I mean, isn't it a given that you've emailed some professors about the program?

Opinions?

The XYZ online app has an optional section that says "If you have corresponded with or been interviewed by a member of our faculty about your plans for graduate study, please indicate below the name of the faculty member and the approximate date of the contact."

This feels like a trap. I don't know why. I mean, isn't it a given that you've emailed some professors about the program?

Opinions?

Nope, not a given. In fact, there was actually a discussion on here last year as to whether or not English people should make contact ahead of time or not and everyone was pretty divided on the topic.

Opinions?

One of my apps asked for this, and since I had been in contact with the prof, I listed it. I'm not totally sure why they ask for this -- I was thinking maybe they specifically contact that prof about you if they're not on the adcom, etc.

Nope, not a given. In fact, there was actually a discussion on here last year as to whether or not English people should make contact ahead of time or not and everyone was pretty divided on the topic.

WHAT?! That's debated? I've heard people say "they" personally don't like the idea, but I didn't know there might a "general" rule or etiquette about it. 

One of my apps asked for this, and since I had been in contact with the prof, I listed it. I'm not totally sure why they ask for this -- I was thinking maybe they specifically contact that prof about you if they're not on the adcom, etc.

WHAT?! That's debated? I've heard people say "they" personally don't like the idea, but I didn't know there might a "general" rule or etiquette about it. 

All of my professors in my current program have said NOT to e-mail faculty members unless you have a genuine, substantial question about their work. They say it is annoying when applicants contact them just to make contact. They all also said that who contacted them and who didn't never comes up in discussion, unless it is a negative component of an application. To that end, I took their advice, and we will find out if it was good advice soon enough!

Edited by sebastiansteddy

As usual, this is a contentious topic. Last year, I contacted nobody. I didn't get in anywhere except for one waitlist. This year, I chose my targets with greater care, reached out to specific faculty members, and was happily surprised with the generosity of responses I received. Sure, not everyone replied, but *most* replied with responses that indicated they had actually bothered to read what I had to say and ask. I ended up having phone conversations with a few, and learned things that I later worked into my SOPs.

I was told more than once that if such contact/conversations have occurred, then mention it in your SOP--I did so. I briefly indicated that my conversations with X, Y have been formative to my application, etc. Apparently it is often the case that such files are forwarded directly to that person, or, if such a file ends up in the final round, then it's a good opportunity to stand out from the rest, should X, Y be positively inclined toward you. 

I didn't email anyone who's work I wasn't familiar with so it didn't look like I was "fishing" for profs who would bite at good schools. I think I emailed 6 profs, but only heard back from 2. Most were emailed in late August, so I assume they were too super busy to respond, and I didn't bother re-sending. 

I emailed 4 profs (got responses from all of them), and me with 2 of the 4. Plus I'm applying to one school that I'm already attending, so I meet with 4 of the profs here constantly. I hope some of that will help!

I think the conversation grew out of a comparison between how science applicants absolutely had to make contact ahead of time vs. the general tendency of humanities applicants to not make contact pre-acceptance. I'd always heard the same as sebastianteddy: don't write unless you have substantial comments. However, everyone I've met who's ever been on an adcomm said that any emails from prospective students were unlikely to make a positive difference in the decision making, though it is possible to make a negative enough impression to affect one's chances.

I think this is probably how it goes: If a person talks/meets with you and really likes you, and thinks you'd add something to their department, OF COURSE it will help your application. But most of the time (in applications, and in life) there isn't such an immediate spark between a professor and a student. So they will either immediately forget about you, or find you annoying. Both of those things probably won't drastically hurt your chances. If, on the other hand, you do something SO awful that they not only strongly dislike you, but remember the fact that they disliked you when your name comes up in the pile, then yes it will hurt.

I don't think anyone should be afraid of reaching out to a professor whose work they truly admire. Also, if you have even a vague and obscure connection to a member of faculty (through your undergrad faculty, for example) it's definitely not a bad idea to try and pull on those strings. But don't bank on a personal connection to get you in. Of course your work will speak much more loudly, and widely, than an email or a 10 minute meeting with one member of an adcomm ever could. 

For future applicants: Don't be afraid to get in touch with faculty! But also don't worry if you haven't done so. Most people who get into humanities PhD programs never contacted the faculty.

I could be completely wrong about this, but I just don't see the problem with emailing a prof. If you're being really annoying, rude, or whatever, then it could hurt your chances to email someone. But, I can't help but think it's not weird or even rude to attempt to contact someone. If they don't want to talk to you, they won't email you back. But I highly doubt that they would open your email and think, "The nerve! How dare thou attempt to email me! I am a distinguished scholar of learning! How dare anyone attempt to talk to me without my permission!" How else did people learn about programs BEFORE the internet? They probably picked up a phone, and called that motherfucker. So, I think a quick email can't hurt you. I also don't think it's necessary, but I don't think it carries a doomsday warning. 

I could be completely wrong about this, but I just don't see the problem with emailing a prof. If you're being really annoying, rude, or whatever, then it could hurt your chances to email someone. But, I can't help but think it's not weird or even rude to attempt to contact someone. If they don't want to talk to you, they won't email you back. But I highly doubt that they would open your email and think, "The nerve! How dare thou attempt to email me! I am a distinguished scholar of learning! How dare anyone attempt to talk to me without my permission!" How else did people learn about programs BEFORE the internet? They probably picked up a phone, and called that motherfucker. So, I think a quick email can't hurt you. I also don't think it's necessary, but I don't think it carries a doomsday warning. 

To be fair, I don't think the warning is against all contact whatsoever. It's really for people who think sending an email just for its own sake will help them out. I'm sure I'd be annoyed if I kept getting emails from prospective students that were basically slightly more veiled  examples of "what are my chances" threads.

To be fair, I don't think the warning is against all contact whatsoever. It's really for people who think sending an email just for its own sake will help them out. I'm sure I'd be annoyed if I kept getting emails from prospective students that were basically slightly more veiled  examples of "what are my chances" threads.

Good point -- I didn't think about an email that pretty much asks, "should I apply/do you think I have a chance?" I would strongly discourage that sort of email. 

Thanks for the replies all. I did know it's been a contentious subject... but I had no idea some people didn't reach out to any POIs!

I guess I never really made a personal connection or had a real substantive conversation with any profs so I think I'll leave that section blank....

Thanks for the replies all. I did know it's been a contentious subject... but I had no idea some people didn't reach out to any POIs!

I didn't email any POIs. I don't think I had anything substantive to say, really, and didn't want to be the sender of one of those pointless, annoying emails aforementioned. But...

Also, if you have even a vague and obscure connection to a member of faculty (through your undergrad faculty, for example) it's definitely not a bad idea to try and pull on those strings. But don't bank on a personal connection to get you in. Of course your work will speak much more loudly, and widely, than an email or a 10 minute meeting with one member of an adcomm ever could. 

One of my favorite professors and letter writers is friends with faculty members at two schools to which I applied and apparently put in a good word for me at those places.  I certainly don't think that'll get me into those programs, of course, but having those connections--albeit "vague and obscure"-- cannot hurt.

Edited by Two Espressos

Is anyone or has anyone applied to Kent State? 

Was there a space in the online app. to attach a writing statement/ personal statement etc? Or did you have to email those in? I got to the end of the online app and there was no space to upload anything. Online it says I can email that information in. Should I submit the online app and then email everything or should I email the information first? 

Thanks

Brooke. 

BTW forgot to mention this when I got the email (two weeks ago) but thought I'd post it now. 

"Thank you for your interest in our graduate program here at the University of Delaware.  Our admissions committee has already begun the review process of all applications and will continue over the next several weeks.  They plan to make decisions by early February and will then notify applicants."

Also they think they'll have 2-3 spots for external PhDs. 

Not sure where else to ask this short of starting a new thread so.

Would someone be willing to provide a list of the items/categories under the "requested materials" section of the Buffalo status site? I'm about 99% sure I have lost my mind because something seems to have changed there but it's also possible I have made it up and have been walking around in a state of false bravado wrt my own reading comprehension skills. (Note: the latter could be true even if I am actually right this time.)

Basically, you know you've been hit by the anxiety bus when you start wishing you had taken screen shots of your status sites throughout the post-submission period.

Not sure where else to ask this short of starting a new thread so.

Would someone be willing to provide a list of the items/categories under the "requested materials" section of the Buffalo status site? I'm about 99% sure I have lost my mind because something seems to have changed there but it's also possible I have made it up and have been walking around in a state of false bravado wrt my own reading comprehension skills. (Note: the latter could be true even if I am actually right this time.)

Basically, you know you've been hit by the anxiety bus when you start wishing you had taken screen shots of your status sites throughout the post-submission period.

Care to elaborate here?  I'm very concerned about my Buffalo status as well, though maybe for a different reason?  Basically, my UB status site says that everything was received (long ago, of course), including my LORs, but then there's a line that reads "letters of recommendation" and is listed as not received.  And my status has never changed from being "not reviewed."  Didn't rems say awhile ago that her status changed to "under review" or something?  With bluecheese's Buffalo acceptance, should I be worried about this, or am I overreacting?

Do you have a similar concern, girlwhowearsglasses, or is it something different?

Mine says "not reviewed." Though I must add that I am a little worried about this app—I sent my GRE scores about 3 weeks after the deadline, once I realized that I initially sent them to Buffalo College. So, I may not be the best person to compare against.

Mine says "not reviewed." Though I must add that I am a little worried about this app—I sent my GRE scores about 3 weeks after the deadline, once I realized that I initially sent them to Buffalo College. So, I may not be the best person to compare against.

Oh okay.  I sent in everything before the deadline, but it still says "not reviewed."  Here's to hoping that both of our apps are okay and have been reviewed by the admissions committee!