The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

hmmmff Stanford has still not received my GRE and TOEFL scores and my official transcripts! Should I be worried? I suppose they will contact me eventually if they find my form incomplete. Maybe they have not yet sorted out and organized the applications.

With regards to my Johns Hopkins mess, my referee just emailed the recommendation to the Anthro Department Grad office. *sigh* I don't think they will accept an emailed recommendation letter but I have absolutely  no energy to communicate with my guide anymore and constantly badger her about my recommendation letter. I give up. :(

hmmmff Stanford has still not received my GRE and TOEFL scores and my official transcripts! Should I be worried? I suppose they will contact me eventually if they find my form incomplete. Maybe they have not yet sorted out and organized the applications.

With regards to my Johns Hopkins mess, my referee just emailed the recommendation to the Anthro Department Grad office. *sigh* I don't think they will accept an emailed recommendation letter but I have absolutely  no energy to communicate with my guide anymore and constantly badger her about my recommendation letter. I give up. :(

I feel your pain!  My undergraduate advisor (who was one of my letter writers) was in the field for the last six months without internet access.  Needless to say the process of obtaining permission for alternative methods of submission was not fun.  

I've just come to the sad realization that I check this website almost as obsessively as I check my email, as if somehow grad cafe is going to reveal my fate.  Is anyone else ready to be DONE waiting!? :P

I feel your pain!  My undergraduate advisor (who was one of my letter writers) was in the field for the last six months without internet access. 

#Anthropologystudentproblems

One of my referees got malaria the week after I asked him to be a reference... 

I've just come to the sad realization that I check this website almost as obsessively as I check my email, as if somehow grad cafe is going to reveal my fate.  Is anyone else ready to be DONE waiting!? :P

YES, SO DONE. But it's nearly February! Any day now! Any... Day... Now... (scuttles off to refresh her email)

#Anthropologystudentproblems

One of my referees got malaria the week after I asked him to be a reference... 

Oh no! Goodluck dealing with it!  

One of my referees mother passed away just a day before the submission deadline. I still made the dreaded phone call and shamelessly reminded him about my letter.  :unsure:

Edited by aaiiee

When I called last week they told me that they had yet to update all their apps. Sounds like they are barely putting together files...

So, I guess that means Stanford will be a while.... Any news on UPenn????

Unlucky Lexicon, I hope that you get off it!  

I am bracing myself for the Duke rejection e-mail...from looking at previous years they seem to come in waves.  Fun times.

Today is a bummer day... Results search informs me someone heard from my dream program about an interview, but radio silence in my inbox. Anyone happen to know if Harvard's HEB program always interviews (i.e., am I out of the game)?

Lexicon, I hope the waitlist shifts in your favour!

Today is a bummer day... Results search informs me someone heard from my dream program about an interview, but radio silence in my inbox. Anyone happen to know if Harvard's HEB program always interviews (i.e., am I out of the game)?

Lexicon, I hope the waitlist shifts in your favour!

Does HEB mean "human evolution and biology?"Is it the one that accepts people with super high math scores and quant backgrounds?Have you tried to contact professor there?

Yep, that's the one. As someone who has neither high math scores nor a quant background, I knew going in that it was a shot in the dark. But, I figured better take that shot than always wonder!

I'm not going to contact profs until later because it's still very early to be hearing back (I was corresponding with a prof before submitting the app and was told decisions were made in mid- to late-Feb). 

Yep, that's the one. As someone who has neither high math scores nor a quant background, I knew going in that it was a shot in the dark. But, I figured better take that shot than always wonder!

I'm not going to contact profs until later because it's still very early to be hearing back (I was corresponding with a prof before submitting the app and was told decisions were made in mid- to late-Feb). 

Allouette, good luck!They seem to follow Max Planck's model of recruiting (I mean, the evo anthropology institute in Leipzig), where they look for a lot of people who can work with stats and data (those DNA strains, I guess :blink: , that sounds like gobs of data :ph34r: ). But I wouldn't get too discouraged, I am sure they are looking for smart people from all kinds of backgrounds. And if not, you can always get a tutor and raise those scores, this is what I am going to do (although my program doesn't really require super high math scores, but these days programs are so tough to get in :wacko: ). 

I don't know if you guys got that impression, but whenever I look at the admission results page, it seems like everyone on GC applied for a PhD program in Chemistry!!!Or Chemical Engineering, or Chemistry and Biological Sciences or something, rarely do I find any anthro posts

Unlucky Lexicon, I hope that you get off it!  

I am bracing myself for the Duke rejection e-mail...from looking at previous years they seem to come in waves.  Fun times.

I am assuming mine came today.  Couldn't log into their damn STudent Services whatever because my username and pw didn't match, but I'm sure it was the rejection notice seeing how I ddin't get interviewed at all.

So I get to eat my own words from earlier! I got an invitation for an informal chat via skype from Harvard! :D :D :D Seriously, guys, my fragile emotions cannot handle and more wild oscillations. Decision time, happen faster please?

So I get to eat my own words from earlier! I got an invitation for an informal chat via skype from Harvard! :D :D :D Seriously, guys, my fragile emotions cannot handle and more wild oscillations. Decision time, happen faster please?

OMGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!I am so excited for you!Even though bio anthro is not my field but that just makes me happy that someone I know (although virtually) is going to be interviewed at such an awesome program!!!!!Will you get to talk to Dr. Wrangham (that's how I know about the program, I read his book for general audiences)? Congratulations!!!

Heard back from UCLA. Nope :(

Sadness....

Not Anthro...but still.

Dude! my heart skipped a beat!!  I dint get an interview call or anything....What did you apply to?  

Any news on Anthro? are they interviewing? do they normally? 

Its my top realistic choice!

thanks,