The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

I didn't receive anything from UMichigan. I applied to Sociocultural... Did you apply to a different sub discipline?

I've applied to sociocultural and received the email, though it does not seem eligible to me.

By the way, I saw a posting that an interview via email has been requested. Anybody has info on that?

I just registered today because I have some questions about my applications. Also, I've applied at Duke and have received a writing sample request (though I am pretty sure I submitted one with my application) and know they are starting to look at applications. 

Anyway, I've also applied to some schools where my application status has been "submitted" for a while now. Does that necessarily change when a department is reviewing applications? I'm most worried about Berkeley but am also curious about UNC and Chicago. 

Have any of you applied to Berkeley, UNC, or Chicago and had your application status change recently? 

Thanks! And good luck to everyone. This has been a fun but stressful process. 

When Duke and Emory say they will invite us to visit the university before the final selections, at the universities expense, does that also apply to internationals? Has it been done before? still being done with all the funding cuts?

For Emory, I believe that some of the internationals, depending on where they are, will be asked to Skype in interviews rather than come for the full recruitment weekend. If you offered the option of coming for the interview though, I would recommend it. 

I've applied to sociocultural and received the email, though it does not seem eligible to me.

By the way, I saw a posting that an interview via email has been requested. Anybody has info on that?

Oh, I missed the name of the school which requires interview... It's Emory.

Since I'm on the East Coast for a couple weeks, I decided to contact the POI at Yale and see if I could arrange a campus visit. He said he'd be "delighted" to have me visit and asked me to stay all day to catch a colloquium and meet the faculty. It's happening in about a week. I'm over the mooOon about this!

If any of you are in similar situations, ie. can make it over to a campus for a visit before decisions, I highly recommend it. Just because they don't do official interviews doesn't mean you can't create your own.

Have a blast, radiomars! I visited Yale in early September, and found everyone to be so insanely nice... The grad students were fantastic. (And while you're there, see if you can get us the inside scoop about decisions, k?  ;))

Have a blast, radiomars! I visited Yale in early September, and found everyone to be so insanely nice... The grad students were fantastic. (And while you're there, see if you can get us the inside scoop about decisions, k?  ;))

Thank you! I'll see what info I can weasel out ;)

Radio- I highly recommend this since most schools don't interview and how can you make a life changing decision without visiting?

Yes, this, exactly! It's a big chunk o' your life, you gotta know where you're headed.

aaah! I found a silly grammatical error in my statement of purpose that I had submitted for my U of Chicago application in December, and now I am losing  my sleep over it. I finished eating five chocolate cupcakes out of anxiety and paranoia. 

Also. my referee claims that she is really busy and does not have the time to submit my recommendation letter for Johns Hopkins. As such she has already missed the first deadline which was on 10th. Whereas the Johns Hopkins Anthro Department has extended their deadline to 15th for supporting documents, I still haven't heard back from my referee. She has not replied to any of my reminders and emails. I will try calling her tomorrow but arrrgh! This is just so frustrating.  It is not just the endless hours that I spent on my application form but I worked really hard to save some cash for these application fees. It would very disappointing to have my application form dismissed just because my referee was not able to submit the letter on time! :(

Edited by aaiiee

Since I'm on the East Coast for a couple weeks, I decided to contact the POI at Yale and see if I could arrange a campus visit. He said he'd be "delighted" to have me visit and asked me to stay all day to catch a colloquium and meet the faculty. It's happening in about a week. I'm over the mooOon about this!

If any of you are in similar situations, ie. can make it over to a campus for a visit before decisions, I highly recommend it. Just because they don't do official interviews doesn't mean you can't create your own.

Yayyyyyyy!!!!!!! I've been meaning to make the drive over to Yale, but I keep putting it off. I applied to Yale, but not in Anthro. I was sorta nervous about going because I was afraid that I would fall in love with it. Tell us everything! I've heard really great things about the environment: students and faculty are overwhelmingly nice, beautiful campus, great restaurants and plenty to do! Sounds amazing... Let me know if it lives up to this.

I posted the second Duke interview result. The message from Duke said that they are talking with a group of semifinalists and will make the final decision "the next week" (I don't know if that means next week or the week after--depends on when the interviews end). My interview is on Monday and is short, so I would guess that they are doing a series of interviews next Monday. 

I posted the second Duke interview result. The message from Duke said that they are talking with a group of semifinalists and will make the final decision "the next week" (I don't know if that means next week or the week after--depends on when the interviews end). My interview is on Monday and is short, so I would guess that they are doing a series of interviews next Monday.

Thanks for the information. Best of luck with your interview.

I'm trying my best to stay on an even keel at the moment, with interviews having been posted for both Emory and Duke. They were my first two applications, and I was still perfecting my statement at the time, so certainly did not hand in my best work. I was fully not expecting to get an interview, so trying to stave off the anxiety about not getting one. Which seems very silly.

I hate waiting.

Edited by socanth

aaah! I found a silly grammatical error in my statement of purpose that I had submitted for my U of Chicago application in December, and now I am losing  my sleep over it. I finished eating five chocolate cupcakes out of anxiety and paranoia. 

Also. my referee claims that she is really busy and does not have the time to submit my recommendation letter for Johns Hopkins. As such she has already missed the first deadline which was on 10th. Whereas the Johns Hopkins Anthro Department has extended their deadline to 15th for supporting documents, I still haven't heard back from my referee. She has not replied to any of my reminders and emails. I will try calling her tomorrow but arrrgh! This is just so frustrating.  It is not just the endless hours that I spent on my application form but I worked really hard to save some cash for these application fees. It would very disappointing to have my application form dismissed just because my referee was not able to submit the letter on time! :(

I'm where you are with JHU.  My recommender had the flu when my Northwestern application deadline passed, but said it was commonplace for recommenders to contact the department and explain why their letters would be late. However, he submitted my rec letter to Northwestern on time for their December deadline.  But he has not submitted my JHU rec letter, and it is past deadline!  I have sent him the notification email a number of times. I am not sure what his deal is. We worked together really well too!

I'm trying my best to stay on an even keel at the moment, with interviews having been posted for both Emory and Duke. They were my first two applications, and I was still perfecting my statement at the time, so certainly did not hand in my best work. I was fully not expecting to get an interview, so trying to stave off the anxiety about not getting one. Which seems very silly.

I hate waiting.

Awwww... I feel the same way. UCLA was the first pancake and it was one of my top choices :(

I'm having trouble checking the status of my application to Stanford Anthropology. I can't seem to find the link anywhere. Can someone help me out please?

It seems like you may have to actually contact the department itself to check your status (judging by the sidebar on this site http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions)... i tried to log in to my application on CollegeNET to check and it said something like "you can only submit one application per year" or something and denied access... I could be wrong though because the department site says this "For application completion status information, graduate applicants may check the application checklist (CollegeNET). The checklist will be updated by staff beginning on 12 December 2012 through January 2013 as materials are received."

Yale is wonderful, I'm quite smitten. So: adcom hasn't met yet, there will most likely be 12 offers total for anthropology and most likely a waitlist.

Awwwwwwwwww! Yeah, that's what I thought. lol I'm afraid to visit. hahahahahha

It seems like you may have to actually contact the department itself to check your status (judging by the sidebar on this site http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions)... i tried to log in to my application on CollegeNET to check and it said something like "you can only submit one application per year" or something and denied access... I could be wrong though because the department site says this "For application completion status information, graduate applicants may check the application checklist (CollegeNET). The checklist will be updated by staff beginning on 12 December 2012 through January 2013 as materia

In case it is still an issue...after PhDreams directions.

go here http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions/applying/start 

check box and click start application.

select review your activity under the head "manage your account"

and there you should have the details of your application

here you can review all the applications you have submitted using collegenet. 

This is bad for me....

This means I definitely din't make it to the shortlist, Have I?

Anyways it was my first application and the mistakes I noticed in my SoP later made me cringe...