The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

Now what to until then?!

Step 1: Read your application over, even though it's too late to change it. 

Step 2: Panic and freak out!

Step 3: Eat every Christmas cookie in sight. 

Step 4: Check your application statuses, even though you know you won't hear anything until January at the earliest. 

Step 5: Freak out and panic!

Step 6: More Christmas cookies. 

...Or maybe that's just me. 

Step 1: Read your application over, even though it's too late to change it. 

Step 2: Panic and freak out!

Step 3: Eat every Christmas cookie in sight. 

Step 4: Check your application statuses, even though you know you won't hear anything until January at the earliest. 

Step 5: Freak out and panic!

Step 6: More Christmas cookies. 

...Or maybe that's just me. 

And me... Sigh.

I just want it to be Feb already. :(

I cannot believe I just submitted my last application!! Unfortunately one of my recommenders has started the trend of waiting until each deadline to submit his letter of recommendation. He has been so kind to me and I suspect he is personalizing the letters, but I don't think he realizes how much anxiety this adds to the process. In any case, I am freeeeeeee from SOPS. And that feels great.

I cannot believe I just submitted my last application!! Unfortunately one of my recommenders has started the trend of waiting until each deadline to submit his letter of recommendation. He has been so kind to me and I suspect he is personalizing the letters, but I don't think he realizes how much anxiety this adds to the process. In any case, I am freeeeeeee from SOPS. And that feels great.

Congrats!!

I still have two left. One more week and I can completely devote myself to waiting. Gahhh.... lol

I just got a very exciting email from the POI at one of the schools I'm applying to. He said it was clear that I was among the top applicants to their lab and they want to fly me out to the school for the grad student recruitment weekend! And he said "you and I can talk more concretely about your potential future research". Sounds good, right?  :)

Congrats, radiomars!!!! That's really exciting news. 

I've still got one more application to do. Is anyone else in a situation where some of their applications are for different departments/projects/subjects? My last one is for an environmental science program instead of bio ant, and I feel a bit like a fish out of water coming up with a whole new SoP, different writing sample, etc. 

Has anyone else struggled with Yale's application?  Two of my letter writers had to resubmit letters because they weren't accepted the first time and then went to submit yesterday and the screen went blank - after I received an e-mail confirming the payment went through.  Now they're on recess til the day it's due...frustrating!

Has anyone else struggled with Yale's application?  Two of my letter writers had to resubmit letters because they weren't accepted the first time and then went to submit yesterday and the screen went blank - after I received an e-mail confirming the payment went through.  Now they're on recess til the day it's due...frustrating!

I was working on Yale last night and it seemed to be fine. However, this is good to know. I still haven't finished yet. I'm sooooooo close!!

Has anyone heard back from any programs???

I was working on Yale last night and it seemed to be fine. However, this is good to know. I still haven't finished yet. I'm sooooooo close!!

Has anyone heard back from any programs???

Yeah the application part worked fine, but on a mac in Firefox the submission part did not work.  Going to have to ring them on the 2nd, hopefully I won't look too last minute!

Submitted them all finally!  Whoop.  Now just need to try to keep calm... Last year was 0 from 3, hopefully will manage at least 1 from 7 this time round. 

Update on the Yale application (although I imagine at this point most have done it, but just on the off-chance), Chrome seems to work best as on a mac. 

Fingers crossed for all in 2013!

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum and so so relieved to find out that I am not the only one who has gone completely mental because of this application rigmarole. I have applied to 8 places in total. Three of them are anthropology departments (sociocultural) and the rest are either History/art history or interdisciplinary departments. I am done with Chicago and Stanford anthro applications, Johns Hopkins still remains. All those who have applied to Stanford, have your GRE/TOEFL scores reached the university? I took my test in October and the website says that they have still not received my score! How come?  

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum and so so relieved to find out that I am not the only one who has gone completely mental because of this application rigmarole. I have applied to 8 places in total. Three of them are anthropology departments (sociocultural) and the rest are either History/art history or interdisciplinary departments. I am done with Chicago and Stanford anthro applications, Johns Hopkins still remains. All those who have applied to Stanford, have your GRE/TOEFL scores reached the university? I took my test in October and the website says that they have still not received my score! How come?  

My stanford app says that my GRE scores have arrived but says my application is complete because I am missing a TOEFL score. I don't even need a TOEFL score lol .... I'm figuring that things just not have been fully updated yet. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. They are still in the process of batching things to apps. I think most schools are not back in session until Jan 7 anyway.

Submitted them all finally!  Whoop.  Now just need to try to keep calm... Last year was 0 from 3, hopefully will manage at least 1 from 7 this time round. 

Update on the Yale application (although I imagine at this point most have done it, but just on the off-chance), Chrome seems to work best as on a mac. 

Fingers crossed for all in 2013!

I'm about to submit my Yale app. I'll keep this tip in mind. It's my last one. FINALLYYYYY!

Good luck to you and to all! Best in 2013.

I didnt get an email either when I submitted for Harvard either. However, Harvard has a special number for app related questions and they are not back in the office until Jan 7.

Hi everyone! I've submitted all my cultural anthropology applications by the end of last year to Duke, U Chicago, UCLA, NYU, Cornell, Harvard and Columbia. While waiting for the results,  I'm thinking about applying to a few terminal MA programs as back up since I went to a liberal arts undergrad without much anthro background, and I'm really not sure about getting into the PhDs that I applied to. Any opinions on this idea and suggestions for MA programs? Thanks!

I’d just like to take a moment to thank President Obama for his income-based-repayment plan for student loans. Thanks to the plan, my monthly payment is now zero dollars for the next year. Amazing. Best news of 2013.

Hi everyone! I've submitted all my cultural anthropology applications by the end of last year to Duke, U Chicago, UCLA, NYU, Cornell, Harvard and Columbia. While waiting for the results,  I'm thinking about applying to a few terminal MA programs as back up since I went to a liberal arts undergrad without much anthro background, and I'm really not sure about getting into the PhDs that I applied to. Any opinions on this idea and suggestions for MA programs? Thanks!

Congrats on finishing up! I'm not really sure about MA programs but you might want to search the results boards to see what schools actually offer MAs in Anthro. As we've all realized, some schools claim to offer MAs but really dont (these apps are dismissed), some only offer MAs en route to the PhD (so you can't apply to a terminal MA program), and other programs don't offer a lot of info on this option or only offer it to applicants that they don't feel strongly enough about to grant them admission to their PhD program. So, I think if you do a quick search to see whats schools admitted people into programs last year you might have a starting point. Good luck!!!

Wooo congrats to everyone who's finished. I just have one pesky little Statement of Purpose to write, made all the more difficult since I just realised one of my POIs was poached by another university in November :(, leaving me with one and a half left, and having to significantly revise my planned project for that university at least.

But it's a free application, and at least doing this will stop me from spending all my days fretting over the other submitted ones.

Good luck for everyone, except of course those people that are applying to my universities. Of course, if I get in you're allowed to be admitted too, I'm that generous :)