Attention Public Policy/Affairs PhDs & Applicants!

PolyWonk

Just got an email from Evans. Waitlisted..

Hope the school sent  you a happier news!

Well Evans just responded to my email.

"Thank you for reaching out. We will be sending out decisions sometime this week."

Just got an email from Evans. Waitlisted..

Hope the school sent  you a happier news!

I

Wait listed, without saying I'm wait listed. They will know if there is room for me in their cohort in mid April... So wait listed.

I

Wait listed, without saying I'm wait listed. They will know if there is room for me in their cohort in mid April... So wait listed.

Ha! I got the same thing and had the same reaction. Good luck with your decisions! It sounds like you already have a couple of good options anyway.

Wait. So are all CMU Heinz phd decisions out already? (including all joint phds?) o.O

I don't know about joint PhDs, but yes, I think their public policy PhD decisions are out. Though it seems they have a wait list (given that they want to know by April 1). Which track did you apply for?

I don't know about joint PhDs, but yes, I think their public policy PhD decisions are out. Though it seems they have a wait list (given that they want to know by April 1). Which track did you apply for?

Have you heard anything about their Engineering and Public Policy Program (From college of engineering)?

• 3 months later...

Has it become a kind of prerequisite to have a terminal policy masters before a policy PhD? What chance does someone holding a non-US masters in IR have at policy PhDs. Could research experience at home offset the fact that he/she doesn't have a US masters?

Edited by Officer05

• 3 months later...

Has it become a kind of prerequisite to have a terminal policy masters before a policy PhD? What chance does someone holding a non-US masters in IR have at policy PhDs. Could research experience at home offset the fact that he/she doesn't have a US masters?

All students in my PhD cohort have masters, some have international masters in types of engineering or public administration, some have masters from US schools. They did not have to have professional masters degrees, but they are using their backgrounds in their policy focus. You really should contact the faculty you are interested in working with to see what their program is biased towards. Some schools are more open than others to diversity of academic backgrounds. 

Edited by WhatAmIDoingNow

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2015, 8:58:30, biden_phd said:

Hi folks, I am interested in PhD in Public Policy (Public Finance and Infrastructure Policy). Does anyone here know schools/professors that have expertise on this topic? I was able to find just two schools: USC Price (that has the Keystone Institute for Public Finance and Infrastructure Policy) and Cornell (that has Program in Infrastructure Policy). I figured PhD in Public Policy at schools that have dedicated Public Finance and/or Infrastructure Policy Centers have professors who specialize on this topic. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.  

What do you mean by infrastructure policy? Would that be planning? I know there are many Urban Planning programs. 

I was told by mentors to find the faculty you want to work with and go where they are.  If there are specific scholars you are interested in, contact them and ask about their program. It worked for me.