Attention Public Policy/Affairs PhDs & Applicants!

PolyWonk

My UNC app is still showing as Submitted as well.  I was told to expect to hear re: a decision in February, but that seems like months away. Waiting is not fun...

I ended up emailing them just to make sure everything was submitted successfully.  The program coordinator let me know that they were in fact being reviewed and they were hoping to make a decision by the end of the month.  Historically speaking, it looks like they tend to start letting people know this upcoming week.  Eek!  Keeping my fingers crossed! And I agree, waiting is the worst part. 

Is anyone else applying to Policy or IR PhD programs this time around? I feel kind of homeless - this forum is all MPPs, whereas the Political Science forum is all... political science-y...

I've applied for a PhD in Public Policy, fall 2014 admission. I'm glad this thread exists - I feel as homeless as you!

Glad to hear there are other folks going through same anxiety.  My interests are in health and social policy and I have applied to mix of policy/pa programs (RAND, UNC, Brandeis, American, FSU) and public health programs in policy (U. Minn, Johns Hopkins).  I have no clue how things will shake out as I am a definite outlier in terms of age (old!) though most of the programs I contacted were fairly receptive to my candidacy.

I guess I will find out in the coming weeks!

Good luck to all.  I look forward to seeing how others are faring on this site.

Well I am another outlier both in terms of age and background. I have just applied to Heller program with global health focus. Mainly because i am already here at Brandeis but in the sciences. Good luck everybody !

Anybody hear any news, good, bad or otherwise?  I don't see much on the results boards, other than Duke interviews couple of weeks back and a UT acceptance .  I wish I could fast forward the next few weeks....

I haven't heard a thing from anyone, except Johns Hopkins SAIS who just said that they wouldn't be releasing decisions until March (UGH). I'm still holding out hope with Duke, since my application was with the NIcholas School of Environment, not the Sanford School, although I suspect that one's a longshot either way.

It's so stressful having no idea what's coming next year. 

Edited by Canadianna

I applied for Social Policy and Political Science programs. I've heard from all but one now, but they are in the UK so they have rolling admissions for the most part. The application deadline for the one I haven't heard from is 2/1, so I'm hoping to get a reply soon. 

It's so stressful having no idea what's coming next year. 

THIS! ^ I'm so excited about the prospect of moving to the UK, but funding decisions don't come out until Feb-May. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much in case the funding is non-existent or too low to be worth the move. 

I applied for Social Policy and Political Science programs. I've heard from all but one now, but they are in the UK so they have rolling admissions for the most part. The application deadline for the one I haven't heard from is 2/1, so I'm hoping to get a reply soon. 

What made you decide to apply to all UK?

Mostly a desire to move there and to study European drug policies. They also have 3 year PhDs and no GRE. I already have two masters degrees, so the idea of spending two more years in classes did not appeal to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my anticipated rejection from RAND to go with the Johns Hopkins Health Policy rejection.  Definitely not feeling the love.  No news from UNC public policy and U Minnesota Health Policy (am pretty sure offers have been sent out from both programs, so no news is not good news).  Other programs typically respond in March, so it looks like i will twist in the wind for at least another few weeks.  Anyone hearing good news?

No good news here either.  I only applied to 2 public policy programs - just got the rejection from Duke today and also haven't heard from UNC.  Historically, UNC should have started making decisions some time ago, so definitely not a good sign!  But I suppose we'll find out soon enough. 

The results search here shows that some people have received acceptance from the American University for Public Affairs/Policy PhDprograms. I have applied there and haven't heard anythin yet .. so is no news a bad news here ?? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a pretty rough application season... straight rejections from SAIS, American, Michigan and Duke. I got waitlisted and eventually rejected at Syracuse BUT accepted to the Maryland POSI, so that's where I'll be headed. Although it wasn't my first choice, I think it'll work quite nicely for what I want to get out of a PhD. 

I think, in retrospect, I kind of shot myself in the foot by applying places where my fit wasn't ideal. My research interests are an awkward combination of international affairs and environmental policy, and I tried to wedge myself into some places where I probably didn't belong. And when over 100 people are applying to programs with 6 openings, fit is going to make or break you far more than it will in a larger program.

• 9 months later...