Attention Public Policy/Affairs PhDs & Applicants!

PolyWonk

Life has been so crazy lately. I was basically without access to internet for 3 weeks, but I did receive another rejection (USC) and an acceptance (Duke) while I was gone. It's my top choice, and I'm very happy about it.

I have 4 more programs that I'm waiting on, but it almost doesn't matter. I want to accept their offer right away, but is that normal? It's looking like visit day may be a no go because of a previous commitment, so i don't really know what to do.

Life has been so crazy lately. I was basically without access to internet for 3 weeks, but I did receive another rejection (USC) and an acceptance (Duke) while I was gone. It's my top choice, and I'm very happy about it.

I have 4 more programs that I'm waiting on, but it almost doesn't matter. I want to accept their offer right away, but is that normal? It's looking like visit day may be a no go because of a previous commitment, so i don't really know what to do.

From past visit experience (I'm not far into them this year, but also did them when I was applying to astrophysics PhD programs), visits can be very influential...  I thought I'd hate Berkeley for some reason for astro, but ended up really liking it (and my previous top choice I really liked the faculty, but hated the atmosphere).  You can also get the dirt on your future research advisor if you play your cards right; nothing like talking current grads over a few drinks to get true opinions.  Plus it's good to get a feel for the general atmosphere-- are the grads friendly and happy?  Can they survive in the location they're in?  Do the faculty interact with the students?  

Maybe they'll let you visit at a different time other than the official weekend?  It is nice to let places know if you definitely don't want to attend them though, perhaps help people out if there's a waitlist.

Just got the acceptance.

Hi tmj143,

Congrats on getting an offer from RAND/PRGS. I have been waitlisted by them (and the wait is rather frustrating, since it is the only PhD I have applied for). I also noticed you have received other commendable offers as well, congrats for those too. I guess my 'waitlist limbo' is forcing me to ask you this: Are you planning on attending PRGS? :-D

Other appicants to RAND, it would be great if you could please share your results and experiences as well.

Thanks.

Hi tmj143,

Congrats on getting an offer from RAND/PRGS. I have been waitlisted by them (and the wait is rather frustrating, since it is the only PhD I have applied for). I also noticed you have received other commendable offers as well, congrats for those too. I guess my 'waitlist limbo' is forcing me to ask you this: Are you planning on attending PRGS? :-D

Other appicants to RAND, it would be great if you could please share your results and experiences as well.

Thanks.

Thanks!  It depends on how the visit goes, but they are very high on my list right now.  It probably doesn't help people on the waitlist that their visit days aren't for another 3 weeks :/  I've heard fantastic things about RAND from people who have worked there, but did hear from a grad who was previously choosing between CMU and RAND (and chose CMU) that she was concerned about funding there, and that she knew of people who were barely scraping by and couldn't work on the projects that they wanted to because of funding issues. 

I am local to the pittsburgh area and i hear mixed things about CMUs funding issues.  Generally they only guarantee the first year of funding for a PhD student, then you are pretty much on your own. Your advisor has to find funding for you or you have to get it yourself. Some students say it isnt an issue some say its really hard at times. I really hope i get into CMU, that is my dream school. I got rejected last year, hopefully i get better luck this year.

Today's been exciting...  Rejected from Michigan PP & Polisci (I don't think it was a good fit anyway, so I'm not too disappointed), and waitlisted for Berkeley MPP (only MPP I applied for, as they require it before you do a PhD, and I'm here already).  Hopefully the Berkeley PhD notifications arrive soon for everyone!

I also applied to Univ. of Washington (Evans) and haven't heard back; I'm waiting until after the mid-March announcement. Out of the 6 schools I've applied to, I've only  heard from 2- Univ. of Delware and UMBC.

Has anyone heard anything from Rutgers (New Brunswick) or GWU? I couldn't find anything in the results section, but I wanted to check-in here just in case....

Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

I'm still waiting to hear from UDel, so I guess I'm either wait listed or rejected there. :(

The admin staff at Rutgers said they will send out notifications beginning the first week of March (I'm really, really anxious!!).. Hoping to hear from them soon!

Good luck! :)

Today's been exciting...  Rejected from Michigan PP & Polisci (I don't think it was a good fit anyway, so I'm not too disappointed), and waitlisted for Berkeley MPP (only MPP I applied for, as they require it before you do a PhD, and I'm here already).  Hopefully the Berkeley PhD notifications arrive soon for everyone!

Hey tmj143 - how did you hear from Michigan? I anticipate I was probably rejected, but I haven't heard a word. Did you get an email? Is there a way to see on the website? It seems like their decisions are clearly out...but I can't find word on mine, which seems weird.

Also, as posts on the forum show - Evans (WA) issued decisions last week. I got a call (good news!) on Thursday.

Also, as posts on the forum show - Evans (WA) issued decisions last week. I got a call (good news!) on Thursday.

Congrats! 

I also heard from Ford (sad news) for Policy/Political Science. Which subfield did you apply to, because I think the response depends on the subfield. 

Thanks! Policy/Sociology at Ford, but there is a rejection up on the forum for that program as well (and acceptances that were posted in early/mid February). 

PolyWonk - are you headed to Duke? I think if you're excited about their offer and it's your top choice, go for it! (Especially if you've already visited!)

I am just waiting to hear from Ga tech, CMU, and Maryland. I am interested in energy policy. Has anyone heard from any of these schools yet? I figure I should hear something between now and the 20th. I am hoping for good news since those are my top 3 schools.

Good luck on the waitlist at Cal! I got waitlisted there when applying for MPPs (almost) two years ago. I didn't end up getting in, but I heard that they let a good amount of people from the waitlist in so good luck.

Just got the rejection for Michigan PP & Econ. Disappointed for sure. I've seen that Cal contacted some PhDs, but I haven't heard anything yet! Its making me really anxious.

I am just waiting to hear from Ga tech, CMU, and Maryland. I am interested in energy policy. Has anyone heard from any of these schools yet? I figure I should hear something between now and the 20th. I am hoping for good news since those are my top 3 schools.

I already visited CMU, so I'm guessing it's not good news if you haven't heard from them yet.  I haven't heard anything from Maryland yet despite having had the phone interview last week (which sounded like an atypical request for an interview).

Hey tmj143 - how did you hear from Michigan? I anticipate I was probably rejected, but I haven't heard a word. Did you get an email? Is there a way to see on the website? It seems like their decisions are clearly out...but I can't find word on mine, which seems weird.

I got an email from them.  No clue if you can tell from the website...  Congrats on the Evans acceptance though!

Edited by tmj143

I already visited CMU, so I'm guessing it's not good news if you haven't heard from them yet.  I haven't heard anything from Maryland yet despite having had the phone interview last week (which sounded like an atypical request for an interview).

I got an email from them.  No clue if you can tell from the website...  Congrats on the Evans acceptance though!

hey tmj,

I am local so i visted CMU in october and i met with about 4 professors. When you visited was it for like an accepted students thing or was it to pair you with someone? I looked at the results page from previous years and i noticed that most acceptances came before march 20th so i am keeping my fingers crossed, but it doesnt sound good so far :(

hey tmj,

I am local so i visted CMU in october and i met with about 4 professors. When you visited was it for like an accepted students thing or was it to pair you with someone? I looked at the results page from previous years and i noticed that most acceptances came before march 20th so i am keeping my fingers crossed, but it doesnt sound good so far :(

It was for accepted students; they have another visit day at the end of this month.

hey tmj,

I don't think you should worry yet. I have also not heard from CMU and I emailed admissions with another question about 3 weeks ago and they hadn't even started reviewing files yet. As I recall, tmj was a bit of a special case with his proposed topic (am I right tmj?) and heard back even before my email. Hopefully they start coming out this week though!

Has anyone heard from Texas LBJ? I saw two people on the results database heard on Feb 10 and 12 this year, and everyone in the database from last year heard in the middle of Feb. I feel like its getting really late for them now and I'm wondering if I should ask...

I don't think you should worry yet. I have also not heard from CMU and I emailed admissions with another question about 3 weeks ago and they hadn't even started reviewing files yet. As I recall, tmj was a bit of a special case with his proposed topic (am I right tmj?) and heard back even before my email. Hopefully they start coming out this week though!

EPP?  They definitely started reviewing files, as there were something like 8 other students there visiting with me; we had the option of two visit dates in their email (the other date was 3/22).  I assume that travmatic applied to EPP and not Heinz as energy policy would fit better into EPP, and if not, that they would've forwarded the application to EPP.

My topic was somewhat special, in that the primary project of interest required a strong physics background (also, I am female), but there were many  students who had multiple options for research projects who visited with me.

Edited by tmj143

Has anyone heard from Texas LBJ? I saw two people on the results database heard on Feb 10 and 12 this year, and everyone in the database from last year heard in the middle of Feb. I feel like its getting really late for them now and I'm wondering if I should ask...

LBJ did admissions really early - much faster than other schools. I just went on a visit day and a fellow prospective student said she was told they made 12 offers. Did you check the website? (My decision was also posted there, although I did get an email when it was updated.) I was the person who posted on the 12th after I got a call from them Jan. 20th (I didn't find this website until Feb). I would email - no harm in asking, right?

EPP?  They definitely started reviewing files, as there were something like 8 other students there visiting with me; we had the option of two visit dates in their email (the other date was 3/22).  I assume that travmatic applied to EPP and not Heinz as energy policy would fit better into EPP, and if not, that they would've forwarded the application to EPP.

My topic was somewhat special, in that the primary project of interest required a strong physics background (also, I am female), but there were many  students who had multiple options for research projects who visited with me.

Yea i def applied to EPP and not heinz. Typically they admitt only 20 people a year. If this is the case then it isnt looking good for me.

giants,

did you apply for heinz or epp?

Yea i def applied to EPP and not heinz. Typically they admitt only 20 people a year. If this is the case then it isnt looking good for me.

giants,

did you apply for heinz or epp?

Oh I applied to Heinz! Sorry, guess my advice is no good!

LBJ did admissions really early - much faster than other schools. I just went on a visit day and a fellow prospective student said she was told they made 12 offers. Did you check the website? (My decision was also posted there, although I did get an email when it was updated.) I was the person who posted on the 12th after I got a call from them Jan. 20th (I didn't find this website until Feb). I would email - no harm in asking, right?

I'll send an email. I've checked the website compulsively but all it ever says is "Forwarded to Admissions Committee". Damn, I'll chock that up as a rejection I guess.

Has anyone heard from Rutgers, New Brunswick/GWU/Brandeis yet? I saw 2 admits posted in the results section (posted yesterday, I believe) for Rutgers and one for GWU, but both looked like they were for their master's programs.

If it's helpful:

I heard (my rejection) from Univ. of Washington (Evans) last week, via email

Univ. of MD Baltimore County: I heard from 3rd week in Feb. via email

Univ. of Delaware: last week via email

.....I should probably put this in the results section.

Lastly, does anyone know if it's typical for public policy programs to typically notify master's students of their admissions status before doctoral students? It may be an issue with posting, but it seems that master's applicants are notified, at times, weeks before PhD applicants....

Thank you in advance!!