University of Minnesota application statement 2

I'm curious about this too - I'm going to submit mine because I worked hard on it, but when I emailed the English department, they said that's what the statement was primarily used for...and not much else about whether it was optional or not.  The department's website states that both statements are required, though, and I'm going with that.

Edited by repentwalpurgis

I also submitted a diversity statement to Minnesota. But since I already had to write one for Berkeley and Michigan, it wasn't a huge deal. 

In the end, I figured that the opportunity to give the adcomm more information about me (assuming that it will reflect positively on my application) can only help.

Edited by hj2012

• 1 month later...

"Awaiting Program Decision." I'm not super set on MN--they don't really have much in my area. BUT I live here, I have a relationship here, ect., ect., I think I have pretty strong Stats-169V GRE and 3.94 grad gpa, but like I said, I might not be seen as a good fit because I'm interested in critical theory and Romanticism. I just want to KNOW

Do you know someone whose status says something different?

I think we'll hear soon--the app asked for a phone number where we can be reached "around Feb. 1." So some people, at least, will be getting phone calls, and we'll probably see on the results board if we are not among those lucky few.

Thanks. I did see it. Well, let me know if you hear anything. Although, I should mention that I am in MN and I know the U has been closed several days (including today) because it has been so cold. So that may effect the timeline.

Normally I'm all "this state is awesome really people the winters are fine and you will love it."

But now, as a PSA to GC...RUN AWAY!  If this is our new winter, run now and run fast.  And please take me with you...

...okay, sorry, done being goofy.  This is why I should not have days off work during decision time. I get loopy.

Semi colon, I saw one acceptance as wel ( It is under Minnesota, without the university) What is going on with your status? How did you know about Feb. 1 as the notification date. Keep me updated!

My app status has said "awaiting program decision" for many days now. I AM FREAKING OUT, you guys. Why have only 2 people on gradcafe heard word from MN?? One rejection, one acceptance... This entire process makes no sense to me. I think I'm going to die of stress before it's all over. 

Like I said on another thread--i wonder if the acceptance was a mistake? It is weird UMN sent an email to check app status as a means of accepting. It seems more likely the person just hit the wrong button and it should have been a reject. Just an idea...

Like I said on another thread--i wonder if the acceptance was a mistake? It is weird UMN sent an email to check app status as a means of accepting. It seems more likely the person just hit the wrong button and it should have been a reject. Just an idea...

Yeah, I agree that it seems strange. I would like to think someone would let us know if they accidentally posted an incorrect result, but maybe they didn't realize somehow...

Maybe. But why would you check? I mean, if I were rejected, it's not like I would check the results to make sure I entered everything correctly. I'd probably avoid looking at it, actually. This might be wishful thinking. Two rejections make my situation look much better than one rejection and one acceptance. Who knows? Before this year it looks like they never sent out rejections before acceptances and now it seems like they must be doing just that.

Yeah, if that one acceptance is actually a rejection, then it would seem MN has done an initial round of cuts. For those of us still "awaiting program decision," that's certainly the most encouraging interpretation, haha. 

I'm having a similar problem with Vanderbilt. Two results posted-- a waitlist and an acceptance. Not promising for me. But that's such a small number of notifications, it's hard to know how to interpret them. Most likely the other acceptances/waitlisters haven't posted their results yet, I suppose. I wish they'd at least update the website status for the rest of us. 

I am absolutely hating this whole experience. 

I know. I can't decide if this site is good or bad. I was sure I was rejected when I saw the list about "decision made". Now, I don't know again. And for all we know the posters aren't giving us accurate results either-- not that they are lying, but they could just be mistaken. Added to that is how representative these posts are, etc...Yet, even knowing all of this, I still keep compulsively checking this site. As for MN, I doubt they will contact anyone this weekend. We will probably find out next week. I might do an ( anonymous call) if I don't hear soon. I'll post the results if I do call them; I haven't made up my mind.