University of Minnesota application statement 2

Hello everyone....I know this problem is a little specific in nature as it pertains to just one University, but I would appreciate any kind of help. I'd like some suggestions as to how you guys are tackling the statement #2 which states the following: a statement that identifies the distinctive qualities,qualities,characteristics, and life experiences you would contribute to your graduate program and to the education of fellow students at the University of Minnesota. You may wish to include examples that address your contribution to the diversity of the student body and illustrate your motivation to succeed by setting high standards for accomplishing intellectual and other goals, overcoming obstacles to achievement, and/or helping others to gain access to the resources necessary for success.

I have included some of the experiences which have prepared me for graduate study in my SOP and don't know if repeating them here would be effective. As far as diversity is concerned, how does one address that? what examples really are they lookingI'd be grateful if someone can give me some pointers or just their opinions regarding this issue.

Thanks a ton in advance. :)

it's a diversity statement. here's a helpful flowchart that will cause ten people to down vote my post: are you poor? -----> are you black? -----> do you know people who are poor? ----> did you once take a class with at least five black people in it? ----> did you, like, totally love to travel in Europe when you were 18? -----> I bet you thought about the peace corps once, didn't you (this is code for "rich, but not a republican") ------> humorous anecdote about the one time you almost got a B in a class because your butler undercooked the puffer fish and you got really sick -----> band camp

Edited by thestage

it's a diversity statement. here's a helpful flowchart that will cause ten people to down vote my post: are you poor? -----> are you black? -----> do you know people who are poor? ----> did you once take a class with at least five black people in it? ----> did you, like, totally love to travel in Europe when you were 18? -----> I bet you thought about the peace corps once, didn't you (this is code for "rich, but not a republican") ------> humorous anecdote about the one time you almost got a B in a class because your butler undercooked the puffer fish and you got really sick -----> band camp

Okay that made me laugh so hard.

Um, this is awkward. That is my diversity statement. I hope we're not applying to the same programs.

This was my advisor's advice for tackling the Minnesota statements, for what it's worth to anyone:

Statement 1: "don't worry about it being boring. Give them what they are asking for, exactly, which is a statement that discusses a) what sort of work you wish to pursue in graduate school (what classes do you want to take? Which strengths do you want to hone? Which weaknesses do you want to address and how do you plan to go about doing that?). Next, what are your longer-term goals? What sort of project (dissertation) do you imagine embarking upon and in what critical conversations do you hope to participate? Finally, how do you imagine working on your career as an educator, and what sort of teaching/scholarship to you hope to do in the future.

I know, I know. It's all speculative. But that's okay. Dream a little. Forget the narrative of the past - this is the narrative of your future."

With that in mind, I'm approaching Statement #2 as a more narrative driven, standard, personal-rather-than-academic statement.

I'm approaching it as follows (and probably incorrectly): Statement 1 I'm writing as almost a research proposal stating what I want to accomplish, a quick paragraph or two on my background in the field, and then a "fit" paragraph and/or why I want to go to Minnesota. Statement 2 I think wants us to talk about ourselves and how we're not the "cookie-cutter" student or however you want to put it. So I think it can range from anything like a Good Will Hunting story to the time you were arrested for pot to the time you got to meet Joe Biden. Whatever you think makes you "unique." I'm also pretty sure there's another thread in the Applications section of this forum stating that Diversity statements can't really hurt you as long as they're not totally awful or offensive. SO maybe approaching it with that in mind could help -- this statement is more YOUR personality and not YOUR goals.

Is anyone going to use the option they give us on Minnesota's application to explain any anomalies in our application? I have one poor grade on my transcript from before I went back to school, and I'm wondering if I should bother addressing it. I mention it briefly in my SoP so it isn't like I'm ignoring it. Hm.

Is anyone going to use the option they give us on Minnesota's application to explain any anomalies in our application? I have one poor grade on my transcript from before I went back to school, and I'm wondering if I should bother addressing it. I mention it briefly in my SoP so it isn't like I'm ignoring it. Hm.

Yes, I am. But that's because the first two years of my undergrad are horrible, and my GRE scores ain't too pretty either. I'm not planning on waxing-poetic about it; rather, I'm going to just write two paragraphs with each one addressing each issue. I've haven't seen any precedents for this type of essay, so I'm just approaching it as very straight forward.

yes, I'm very glad Minnesota has this option. I spent one semester at a community college ten years ago. my grades were awful. everything was awful, I hated it, I almost jumped off a bridge, etc. it angers me to no end that I have to deal with these people for transcripts as is. completely irrelevant to anything.

So, how much does it feel like you're unnecessarily bragging in your diversity statement? Because it states to write about what unique qualities you would bring to the department and how you would help to motivate other students in the department, how are you guys handling not coming off as totally arrogant? Or should we be coming off as totally arrogant? It just seems weird to even write the sentence, "And so this is what makes me a such a unique contributor to ..." as well as many others that sound kind of like it...

I'm trying to put some finishing touches on mine since it's due, oh my, well, this Saturday at the latest, and everything I read over I hate and I think I'm being a douche. Anyone else feeling like this?

I'm doing one page single spaced with mine. I actually am a little short, and can't figure out how to fill in the last few lines (maybe 5?) without going into a totally new story. It's not like my SOP where I can just include ANOTHER description of an essay I've written. "Perhaps shorter is better" said no one ever.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly how long is your statement #1? I remember you posting the e-mail response that was something along the lines of "there are no set regulations" for the statements so I'm not quite as worried about it, but mine is a little over 2 and a half pages and I'm hoping that isn't too much.

Mine is roughly 2 pages single spaced, or really just shy of 2 pages -- about 1000 words. They said "no regulations" so... It seems a tab long when I read it, but a few other schools requested two pages single spaced, so I assumed it was standard to write that much. It just seemed like quite the change from Wisconsin and other's 500 word limit :)

I'm from Thailand and I still have no clue how to approach this statement. :( I don't know if I should play "I'm from Asia" card just to say that I'll bring diversity to the program (even though it's true) Any recommendation?

I think that may actually be a good way to go, except rather than just "I'm from Asia," you could talk about what specific experiences you've had growing up in Thailand that makes you different from US applicants and how, specifically, they've prepared you for graduate studies.

I think that may actually be a good way to go, except rather than just "I'm from Asia," you could talk about what specific experiences you've had growing up in Thailand that makes you different from US applicants and how, specifically, they've prepared you for graduate studies.

Yeah I think I'd go for that route. And thanks for the last bit, I didn't think of it at all :P

the best part is how it is assumed that these diversity things will have "helped prepare you for graduate studies." I'd be like "I'm asian. It has prepared me for graduate studies because I am asian. The part of graduate studies that is particularly asian will be easier for me because I am asian. This one time I was in asia and this guy was like 'hey, what do you think about grad school?' and I was like 'please unlock the secrets for me' and he was like 'come with me' and then I was like 'ok' and we trained in the hills and oh what, you're still reading? you fucking racist, what, do you think all asian people meditate in the hills to find their inner self? fuck you."

I think that would probably work.

the best part is how it is assumed that these diversity things will have "helped prepare you for graduate studies." I'd be like "I'm asian. It has prepared me for graduate studies because I am asian. The part of graduate studies that is particularly asian will be easier for me because I am asian. This one time I was in asia and this guy was like 'hey, what do you think about grad school?' and I was like 'please unlock the secrets for me' and he was like 'come with me' and then I was like 'ok' and we trained in the hills and oh what, you're still reading? you fucking racist, what, do you think all asian people meditate in the hills to find their inner self? fuck you."

I think that would probably work.

hahaha nah I prefer to meditate on the back of my white elephant!

• 1 year later...