just mailed my first app -- tears ensued

One of my schools has an early deadline AND requires some snail mail of materials, so I just mailed off packet and immediately started crying (ok, maybe not immediately -- I held it in until privacy of home)

So exhausted, and it's only my first app!

The next 30 days (I figure I'll be finalizing and checking app status over the next month for all the rest of my schools) are going to be torture, and that doesn't even count the torture that starts at the end of February when schools start notifying and the results board starts lighting up (metaphorically).

Those of you for whom this is your first application season: best of luck! Those of you for whom this is your second+ time through: ugh, here we go again, and good luck!

I just submitted two (one has an early deadline, one I just wanted to send since everything was ready). It's sorta my first time around--I applied to UK master's two years ago (totally different I know).

Still waiting on one recommender to submit his stuff. When that's done I'll be able to breathe a sigh of relief.

Good luck to everyone!

congrats, sebastiansteddy! you are ahead of me. planning on submitting a batch online this weekend. I had a minor freak-out today with a hitch in my Interfolio delivery of LORs, but I think it's resolved.

Ahh I really hope it is resolved! I had a hitch with uploading scanned PDFs of my transcript. It was a very frustrating 2 hours...

I submitted OSU: Dec 5th deadline, but it must be mailed. I also submitted USC (online), which has a Dec 1st deadline.

Hey sebastian, Ohio State's supplemental materials are supposed to be emailed to the English Department. They asked applicants to mail stuff last year, but now they want it sent electronically:

Please send the following items electronically to the Department of English atenglishphdapply@osu.edu:

• a personal statement (1-2 single-spaced pages) that describes your background in English studies and your purpose in pursuing graduate work; this statement should address both your scholarly interests and your interest and/or experience in teaching;
  • writing sample: a short essay or portion of a longer work is appropriate. This essay should demonstrate your abilities as a critical reader of a literary or related text, as well as your ability to use current scholarly sources; it is the most important part of the application. Applicants should submit a clean copy of the sample (i.e., not a photocopy that includes a teacher's comments).

Students applying with a Bachelor's degree: an 8-10 page sample;
    Students applying with a Master's degree: a 12-20 page sample.
  • a summary page giving your undergraduate GPA and GPA for courses in English;
  • curriculum vitae/resume of no more than two pages with a clearly stated sentence at the beginning of the CV that declares your scholarly area of interest(s), for example: American literature and queer theory, 18th-century poetry, postcolonial theory and women writers.

Minnesota has a Dec. 1st deadline. I'm frantically making final edits to my writing sample now and plan on submitting today. Eek.

ME TOO. I'm actually just taking a break between reading my diversity statement and my SOP for the millionth time. I really want to submit today, but I'm starting to do the last minute freak outs thinking I need until tomorrow or even, gulp, Sat. I need to suck it up, and just submit -- it's not going to get any better at this point. AHHHHHH.

Good luck everyone!!!

ME TOO. I'm actually just taking a break between reading my diversity statement and my SOP for the millionth time. I really want to submit today, but I'm starting to do the last minute freak outs thinking I need until tomorrow or even, gulp, Sat. I need to suck it up, and just submit -- it's not going to get any better at this point. AHHHHHH.

Good luck everyone!!!

I feel ya. My professor sent back my writing sample with her edits at like, 2am this morning, so I'm working on making those now and then I think I'm just going to submit. If I wait, I'll just make myself insane. I feel like once I just get ONE in, it'll be all downhill from there... or something... right... ?

I'm at that weird part where submissions will be going on for the next two weeks or so, and I can't think or talk about anything else. Simultaneously trying to wrap up a full-time semester and TA duties is really not working.

My first deadline is Duke, Dec. 8th. Little heads up: I just looked at Michigan's page, and they give you a deadline and then tell you to submit two to three weeks prior to that deadline. WHAT? I didn't put the two to three weeks prior date on my spreadsheet!!!

Good luck to you all! Remember to take a break now and then, even if it's just ten minutes not looking at a screen while on public transport.

I'm at that weird part where submissions will be going on for the next two weeks or so, and I can't think or talk about anything else. Simultaneously trying to wrap up a full-time semester and TA duties is really not working.

My first deadline is Duke, Dec. 8th. Little heads up: I just looked at Michigan's page, and they give you a deadline and then tell you to submit two to three weeks prior to that deadline. WHAT? I didn't put the two to three weeks prior date on my spreadsheet!!!

Good luck to you all! Remember to take a break now and then, even if it's just ten minutes not looking at a screen while on public transport.

Hey any chance you could share where you found this Michigan information? Thanks!

OK, so re: UMD. The SoP instructions on the supplemental app are different from the ones on the dept. website. I've written to them and they say the ones on the dept. site are accurate (i.e. no personal/diversity statement necessary) but it's still stressing me out.

Minnesota is officially submitted, and I'm working on Maryland now. No tears yet, but almost, last night. I was sitting on the couch with my boyfriend looking over my shoulder as I hovered the mouse over the "submit" button... it was terrifying.

Me too!! No tears yet, but I definitely am having a drink tonight. :)