just mailed my first app -- tears ensued

YES. Cupcakes fix everything, no?

Ugh -- can I just say that WORKING in a cupcake shop right now is basically deadly? My coworkers are taking bets on when the stress-sugar-stress cycle will put me into cardiac arrest.

And even their cruel mockery doesn't stop me from taking home half a dozen leftovers after every shift...

Berkeley is due in 25.5 hours and I am one letter (erm, and subject test scores but bygones) away from a completed application and I just want it finished. :(

I am clearly dealing with the stress by pouting. Also cleaning and cardio because my coping mechanisms often disguise themselves as healthy/productive activities, ahahahahaa. I will have the cleanest of homes by March 1.

Re: Michigan

WHY DOES IT MAKE ALL OF MY DOCUMENTS LONGER WHEN IT TURNS THEM INTO PDF

I don't want them to think I'm the idiot who submitted a two-page resume or a three-page SoP. URGHHHH.

Relatedly: WHY IS MICHIGAN'S APP THE ABSOLUTE WORST EVER IN ALL POSSIBLE WAYS.

blah it's details like THESE that are going to drive us crazy for the next few weeks! and I'm still fighting with my WS and SOP. how are people managing what feels like constant, chronic stress?

Watching

definitely helps.

I am proud to say I have just joined the post-application-submission-typo club!

"I hope continue" is a thing I said.

Thankfully I don't think I've made any such errors in my submitted materials. But then again, I almost didn't catch that I kept writing "casual" instead of "causal" in my writing sample...

"Extinct" instead of "instinct." Then I changed it to "extract" before it got any better. No more editing for me, it's not really helping.

"Extinct" instead of "instinct." Then I changed it to "extract" before it got any better. No more editing for me, it's not really helping.

I found conscious instead of conscience yesterday. I remember that this is an error that I have specifically laughed at my students for making. And yet, I didn't catch it in my own work until about my 19th proofread...

I spelt Paulo Friere's name as Paolo Friere. I didn't catch it until after I submitted my first few SoP's, and neither did the THREE rhet/comp experts who reviewed my statement. Fortunately, I caught it really early and was able to submit a revision with a correct. Still, I feel quite silly.

Sorry that this happened to you, but thanks for the giggle.

Sorry that this happened to you, but thanks for the giggle.

tumblr_me0wabr2Cw1rhdl55o2_500.gif

I am surprising good-spirited about it at this exact moment. It's not like it was in the first paragraph of my statement of purpose or anything... oh, except that it was in the first paragraph of my statement of purpose. Luckily, it went to only one school, and I am applying to nine hundred.

I am really, really typo-prone, and no matter how many times I proof something I always miss a few, because I'm reading what I think I see rather what I actually see. It tends to happen when I'm reworking a sentence, which I am apt to do up until the second to last proofread, so proofreading usually leads to more mistakes.

Edited by asleepawake

When this happened to me, I just uploaded them as Pdfs to begin with and it worked. But it was for another school so their system might be different.

Thank you! This fixed the problem.

But seriously. Why does Michigan's application have to be so soul destroying?

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and those who don't fit in those categories:

I AM DONE! I have successfully submitted all of my applications. I hereby vow to not compulsively check my email (not until February at least) and to not reread any of my statements of purpose or writing samples. Whatever will happen, will happen. Here we go!

Submitted NYU's at 11:55 last night, huge sigh of relief. At work right now... We didn't have to submit any separate application (FAFSA) for financial aid, right? I remember some of my schools want you to submit a FAFSA, but I don't remember reading anything about that on the NYU site...

I was so happy to be done last night, but as 5 pm approaches, I keep on wondering if I left anything out. And now I'm surreptitiously checking things on my phone while at work. OH GOD.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and those who don't fit in those categories:

I AM DONE! I have successfully submitted all of my applications. I hereby vow to not compulsively check my email (not until February at least) and to not reread any of my statements of purpose or writing samples. Whatever will happen, will happen. Here we go!

happy dance! i can't wait to be there.

Submitted NYU's at 11:55 last night, huge sigh of relief. At work right now... We didn't have to submit any separate application (FAFSA) for financial aid, right? I remember some of my schools want you to submit a FAFSA, but I don't remember reading anything about that on the NYU site...

I was so happy to be done last night, but as 5 pm approaches, I keep on wondering if I left anything out. And now I'm surreptitiously checking things on my phone while at work. OH GOD.

yes. i feel like calling all the schools that I've already submitted things to and double-checking everything. The one school that had its deadline on Monday is the school that makes it the hardest to verify that things were received, because they use paper AND they're one of those schools that splits up the application between the graduate school and the department. So I had to mail things to the department -- and I know I pushed it close to the deadline. I have my FedEx and USPS confirmations, but of course there's no way to check status online. So, a part of me wants to call the department to ask if they got everything, but I don't want to be THAT person.

Count me in as well. Not a typo, but a mistake I made in editing my writing sample down to 12 pages for NYU... In my longer sample, I introduce a term, and then use it a few more times, each time in italics. In this shorter one, I use it (italicized) without ever introducing it. Grrr.

I'm about halfway through submitting my apps and I've started dreaming about them: completing them, finding errors, becoming friends with various graduate coordinators/admin staff and going for coffee...

of course I'm wide awake now because my subconscious got me all anxious about trying to finish an app I'VE ALREADY SUBMITTED.

I probably need to drink more. that's clearly the solution.