just mailed my first app -- tears ensued

Especially over the weekend.

But my skepticism is surely not going to prevent me from obsessing about it. I did also go though the Buffalo results for the last several years and they do seem to be absurdly fast. Weep weep weep.

Looks like that Buffalo is already sending out interview requests. At least according the results section.

I see one, but I'm skeptical. Less than 24 hours and they're setting up interviews? They must be superhuman.

Especially over the weekend.

But my skepticism is surely not going to prevent me from obsessing about it. I did also go though the Buffalo results for the last several years and they do seem to be absurdly fast. Weep weep weep.

It's probably fake, but

FUCK FUCK FUCK

I can tell you for a fact that Buffalo has not begun going over applications yet... The adcom (comprised of students and faculty) will not meet until early January.

so I take it you and the adcom are tight?

WHAT CRUEL HUMAN BEING WOULD MAKE A FAKE RESULTS POST?

Ugh, ten applications later and I find a mistake in my SOP. I used the word different three ways in one sentence. Really?! Really.

I found ANOTHER ONE after 6 applications. No turning back. At least you are not alone!

Does anyone else have the sick desire to just keep submitting apps, because at least when you're focused on applying, you're not focused on waiting? :wacko:

Oh definitely. I keep waking up in the morning and telling myself I won't check on the status of my apps, but I do. Every.single.day. And yet, I know there is no way that anything has changed.

It is going to be a very long few months.

I've completed 14/16 of my applications and I have no desire to check anything or do anything. My last two are due in mid-january and I don't even want to think about them.

Go out for a beer or something. Get hammered, or [something]. If any of you were in Los Angeles I'd take you out for a drink just on principle. Ya'll be uptight. And yeah I have found mistakes on SOPs I've sent out. But I do one last read-over before submitting and that's helped.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it is going to be all right, guys. There is literally nothing you can do at this point to change what the outcome is. I know that is a terrifying thought, but it can also be liberating. You have put out the best package you could and now it is up to the adcoms. Breathe. Take some time for yourselves. Enjoy the holidays. Now is not the time to start freaking out about acceptances - I doubt any of us will be hearing anything until at least mid January.

And also, listen to the manatees: http://calmingmanatee.com/

So, basically, I was able to quite drastically upgrade my writing sample a few days ago. That means roughly half of my 14-15 targets will receive the upgraded version, while the ones with deadlines between Dec. 1 and 15th are stuck with the older version. Both are definitely PhD-application-worthy, but I feel like the second one significantly outdoes the older version. Oh well. I was able to get two submitted applications updated with the new one, at least.

Does anyone else feel like they need to constantly tinker with their piece, thus ending up making the last round of applications the most satisfactory?

Does anyone else feel like they need to constantly tinker with their piece, thus ending up making the last round of applications the most satisfactory?

This only happened with my SOP. Once I was done with my writing sample, I was too scared to look at it again.

So, basically, I was able to quite drastically upgrade my writing sample a few days ago. That means roughly half of my 14-15 targets will receive the upgraded version, while the ones with deadlines between Dec. 1 and 15th are stuck with the older version. Both are definitely PhD-application-worthy, but I feel like the second one significantly outdoes the older version. Oh well. I was able to get two submitted applications updated with the new one, at least.

Yes! Fortunately (and unfortunately) my dream programs are also the ones with the latest apps.. so that pretty much means I'm going to obsessively rewrite until the beginning of January...ugg..

Ya'll be uptight.

The saddest part? I'm probably the least uptight, least anal retentive person on the face of the planet at any other time. Seriously, my parents used to tell me regularly that I needed to start giving more of a shit. Well, wish granted; applications have turned me into a monster!

Yes! Fortunately (and unfortunately) my dream programs are also the ones with the latest apps.. so that pretty much means I'm going to obsessively rewrite until the beginning of January...ugg..

Seconded. My top programs also happen to have the latest deadlines. I will be revising my SOP/WS for the next two weeks until I submit.

I did exactly this. My first 3 programs required 20 pp writing samples whereas my last three required 25 pp writing samples. My sample is from my MA thesis anyway, so the first three got a chapter, the second three got a combination of two chapters will a lot of the "examples" cut off focused on theory. The second batch is FARFAR superior to the first one. Le sigh. I think I was warming up with the first one, so by the time I got to the second one I was way into editing.

Here's something to consider for everyone out there who currently is in school while applying: I commend you greatly. I think the reason I was able to edit as much as I was was because I was out of school and kinda missed editing so I put a lot into it. I can't imagine writing end of the semester papers right now while editing a writing sample. Tip of the proverbial hat to you all. And who is it that has a baby on here? bfat? You are a god among men.