2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

What do you mean pre-interview screening? I emailed a professor at Duke myself, and he said he'd email me back after reviewing my application if he had any questions.

Like sassypants said, they call people whose applications interest them, to try to get a feel for whether you would be a good fit for them. Then if they like you, you'll get an invite for a visit. The admissions process at Duke BioE is pretty centered on individual faculty rather than a centralized committee, as I understand it. 

Any need to put suit for a graduate school interview?

I was wondering the same thing! From what I hear it is more casual. I was tentatively planing to go with button up dress shirt and kaki pants. Should i go even more casual? I know that an interviewee in a suit would look out of place if they came to visit my lab at the U of Minnesota. 

you need to be "on" the entire time.

to me informal means what you wear every day and to me this means wearing tight pants and t-shirts that are slightly too small. i will not be dressing like this at any point during a recruitment weekend. use your best judgement - this is an interview for a job that will last 4-6 years and set up your career... there is no need to be informal

On the topic of interviews: I am taking a warm suit for the interview day and two business casual outfits (slacks/khakis, a sports coat, button down w/ tie/bow tie option) for the reception dinner and last day breakfast.  Being well dressed does not necessarily mean over-dressed, methinks.

you need to be "on" the entire time.

to me informal means what you wear every day and to me this means wearing tight pants and t-shirts that are slightly too small. i will not be dressing like this at any point during a recruitment weekend. use your best judgement - this is an interview for a job that will last 4-6 years and set up your career... there is no need to be informal

Exactly. For me, every day is shirts that have gotten destroyed in the lab and my favorite style of jeans. I am upping it to some nice, dark-wash jeans, a decent blouse, and my cowboy boots. That should be a good combination for an informal dinner. I will be comfortable but look decent. They told us to dress comfortable and informally as we will have been traveling for most of the day.

Interview day will be quite a bit nicer... just a tiny step below business formal for me.

Button down, tie, dress slacks, dress shoes, very nice overcoat. 

I debated between that and a suit. Still deciding >.< such silly things we think about as we go insane. 

Noooooo. Just got an email from the dean at UT Southwestern, apparently I've been put on a "Hold list" while they review the rest of the applications. Really unhappy as I made the priority deadline and everything. And on top of that, they're reducing the class size from 67 to 60 this year. I need one of those gigantic cookies you make in a pie pan. :C

Noooooo. Just got an email from the dean at UT Southwestern, apparently I've been put on a "Hold list" while they review the rest of the applications. Really unhappy as I made the priority deadline and everything. And on top of that, they're reducing the class size from 67 to 60 this year. I need one of those gigantic cookies you make in a pie pan. :C

I'm sorry! You could try this edible cookie dough:

http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/single-serve-cookie-dough

Just got accepted to UWisc chemistry! I applied concurrently with my IPiB app. because it was free they are doing some really interesting chemical biology work, but I really didn't think my application was very strong (I took the Chem GRE but didn't send in the scores because they were...terrible, and my undergrad chem gpa was pretty weak).

Have to pinch myself a little bit.

Good luck to everyone interviewing this week; stay warm!

Just called UCSF IPQB... they just started sending out interview invites, and have more to send. According to the coordinator, "no news really is no news." So... those of you who were perhaps super depressed when you saw the invites go out on the results search shouldn't be :)

Just called UCSF IPQB... they just started sending out interview invites, and have more to send. According to the coordinator, "no news really is no news." So... those of you who were perhaps super depressed when you saw the invites go out on the results search shouldn't be :)

Thats Great News! Did they hint at when the rest of the interviews should trickle out?