2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

I just received an interview request from UW BPSD program. I was surprised at how late it was sent out (6:00 PM on a Friday PST). Feb 21-24 is the date.

Edited by Laggs0

@bamafan - Yes I heard and was rejected from UC Berkeley for their Comp Bio program.  Got my rejection Friday evening through an e-mail which told me to check the site.

@bamafan: Why is it a rejection when they put you on a direct admit list? I'm sorry but I don't get it. What does it mean?

A faculty member must agree to sponsor/fund me, so for all intents and purposes, it's a rejection with a chance to get in. 

@bamafan - Yes I heard and was rejected from UC Berkeley for their Comp Bio program.  Got my rejection Friday evening through an e-mail which told me to check the site.

Just got mine as well. I've heard they only accept ~3-4 people a year so it was always going to be a tough one, and it looks like we're all in good company! ;)

--> http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=berkeley+computational

Edited by bamafan

Hey!

Is anyone applying to UBC in Canada? Before you apply to a PhD program you have to secure a supervisor but, as I understand it, securing a supervisor does not mean acceptance nor high chances to be accepted, right? Any experiences?

Hey!

Is anyone applying to UBC in Canada? Before you apply to a PhD program you have to secure a supervisor but, as I understand it, securing a supervisor does not mean acceptance nor high chances to be accepted, right? Any experiences?

I applied to UBC, but it says do rotation first and no need to secure a PI first. It is Pharmaceutical science program.

Interview invite to Stony Brook Microbiology...Just had my interview with Drexel and I absolutely loved it, they said they won't be meeting to make admissions decisions for at least another week but I kind of feel like I'm cheating on Drexel haha

I know that I might not get into Drexel or that I might love Stony Brook as much as or more than I love Drexel.  I gotta say though that this problem is a lot easier to deal with than not hearing about my application statuses.

Finding this site way late (probably a good thing). Doesn't seem to be too many EEB people on here....

Undergrad Institution: Large Public University. Average Bio program
Major(s): Biological Science
Minor(s): Does it matter?
GPA in Major: 3.96
Overall GPA:3.88
Position in Class: top/near top
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 89th percentile
V: 90th percentile
W: 94th percentile
B: N/A

Research Experience: Honors project in Drosophila genetics (~2 years) and side project in phenotypic canalization (~6 months). No publications, switched focus one year into my honors project, don't know if that was a good idea.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honors Thesis Award, Highest ranked Department award, some other one based off my high school grades

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA, volunteer teaching (high school and freshmen), tutor

Special Bonus Points: Went to visit my PI over winter break, self funded trip. Might help?

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Applied for the GRFP? Took some graduate classes? Dad is an ecologist?

Applying to Where:

Cornell (EEB) - Interview

U. Chicago (E&E) - who isn't? - Haven't heard back

Edinburgh (Institute of Evolutionary Biology) -Haven't heard back

Wish I had applied to some more, getting nervous.

I applied to UBC, but it says do rotation first and no need to secure a PI first. It is Pharmaceutical science program.

Oh, ok! Mine would be the Experimental Medicine Program. I thought it was the same for all bioscience programs. I'll ask the POI when we interview... thanks MicroB2012!

So according to the results page UC Berkeley has finally started sending official rejections for the biophysics program BUT there was also one invatation today. So just when I had accepted my fate I find myself frantically checking my email. Just tell me already!!!!!

After double checking the interveiw invitee was an international student. Back to reality

Edited by mrmolecularbiology

hey, when did you hear from UCSD? I also applied to bioinformatics but I submitted my app on the very last day and I got a message from them back in mid december that they already started reviewing apps and I should submit asap

I got an email telling me to check my application status on my application on Monday. But I submitted Late November/Early Dec

I got an email telling me to check my application status on my application on Monday. But I submitted Late November/Early Dec

Still waiting to hear from them myself, so I'm assuming it'll probably be a rejection as well. I'm pretty disappointed with Berkeley as I had gotten a call from a POI there who expressed strong interest and we chatted for about 20 minutes. But it seems my horrid UG GPA is catching up to me now.

Anyone Who has already been to interveiw(s) want to share any advice?

Typical questions to ask/ what you will be asked?

Hardest question you were asked?

I am also interested to hear about any recent interview experiences. What have your interviewers spent the most time talking about, how long have your interviews been and how many does each school usually send you to?

I am also interested to hear about any recent interview experiences. What have your interviewers spent the most time talking about, how long have your interviews been and how many does each school usually send you to?

I just finished up my first interview. I'm absolutely in love with this school, the program, and the people in it that I've met.

This program sent me through 5 interviews with potential PIs and several dinners with students. Spending lots of time with the students really helped. Each interview was 35-40 minutes, very informal and comfortable, and the PIs could ask us about anything that they wanted. Some asked about my projects and gave specific questions (and even advice!). Not all of them wanted to know what I was up to at my other school as they had my resume and could see which scientific protocols I knew. They all asked me why I picked that particular program and why I decided to complete a M.S. before my PhD. I had lots of questions asking me to clarify my interests, and one asked me to describe my perfect project (luckily it was something that would fit into his lab group).

Two of my five asked me specifics about protocols I do, specifically Chromatin IP... what beads do I use, how do I optimize primers, etc. They also wanted to know how I isolated my cell lines and how all of my previous lab experiences would be useful in their lab groups.

One of them thought my application and research statement sufficed, and after making sure that my personal life would not pull me away from lab (i.e. the boyfriend) and that I was genuinely interested in the school, he set out to describe a research project he thought would fit my interests. There was pretty much no interview, though he did ask how confident I felt. I was sent home with an outline for a project and about 100 pages of papers to "look over." I would imagine that this is very uncommon.

A second asked only a couple of questions about myself and my projects, but launched into a discussion of his research topic, pausing where he thought I should ask questions. He was also in a recruiting mood, I think, though he admitted that he had not received a copy of my application before I walked in. He told me about one student and all of the publications that student had achieved.

Another, who was doing things that are almost at the limit of my understanding took the time to work me through his current projects, and, when I admitted a deficiency in my knowledge of microRNAs explained a little bit and has since sent me some information so that I may read up. He asked very specific questions from my essays; it was apparent that he had taken the time to read it very closely, which I appreciated. Thorough and caring PIs are hard to find.

The final one turned it into a, "Let's make this an advisement appointment" and spent the interview trying to determine how ready I am to be in a large lab group and away from home. It was very useful, and I did get to ask her research questions.

I guess the point I am trying to get across is that you really need to know your stuff and that it is going to vary greatly by professor. Know your research in and out, and know how you got the end result. Know what each step and each solution does. 

Thank you for the advice!

I have a couple questions myself, and I feel like I'm unnecessarily worrying over this, but I'm actually very nervous about my interviews.  I graduated a year and half ago, and completed an undergrad thesis and presented a poster at a well-known national conference in my field of interest for it.  In my SOP I also highlighted the project I did.  Currently I work under the title of a "Research Technologist" in a clinical diagnostic laboratory, but I'm primarily involved in the running of assays for clinical testing, and occasionally step in for research and ongoing validation, but the lab is not very tech-friendly and techs aren't encouraged to conduct their own independent projects.  Although I have considerable knowledge regarding the assays I run, handling of clinical specimens, and the validation of our newest assay, there are some aspects of the design I am not up to date on.

How likely is it that the interviewers are going to focus on my undergrad work and thesis project over my current position?

When I interviewed it was mostly "tell me about your research." Then they would tell me about theirs. Being able to highlight exactly how you intellectually contributed to a project is important - anyone can teach you techniques. Best of luck to you all! Don't forget you are interviewing the program too