2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Whp09, I usually say my name is ion exchanger. I'm originally from city and state. I received my bs degree in subject from x university in this year. My research background is in structural biology and I am currently working as a whatever.

That sounds about right. Start with name, where you're originally from/grew up, where you went to undergrad/got your advanced degree if you have one, and what you work on currently (if applicable). Go with the flow, it doesn't have to be rehearsed ^_^

OK, this is kind of weird, but is it common to be asked about your personal life in interviews?

Occasionally, yes. Certainly, if it makes you uncomfortable to discuss anything you deem personal, you should politely say so, but most of the time, people interviewing you try to get to know you as a person and not just as a future scientist. I think someone else might have already mentioned this, but personal factors can play a huge role in making the decision of which school to attend: significant others, family, children etc. are some of these and a lot of programs will send feelers out to see how such factors will potentially be influencing your decision - nothing wrong with that. I would steer clear of giving opinions on religion or politics (or anything that could lead to a major difference in opinion, you get what I mean) though.

Edited by scienceowl

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I want to ask just a quick question. I have applied to Baylor College of Medicine. My first choice was Translational Biology and my second choice was Human Genetics. Last week when I checked my application I noticed that my active program changed to my second choice from my first choice. I thought this was a rejection. However, a couple of minutes ago when I rechecked my status I saw that the active program switched back to Translational Biology. Do you think that this means I am rejected by my second choice, too? Could it be possible that the Translational Biology program is reconsidering my application?

Thanks for the answers.

ps: I don't know if it makes a difference for the answer of the question but I am an international student.

Just heard from UMich chemical biology. I was expecting a rejection, since I didn't get an invite to the interview and there are a few in the results, but it was just a notification that they never received my GRE score report, and they need it to "process my admissions decision". I'm not sure if anyone else here applied to that program, but it looks like they are still reviewing applications.

Just got word from UI-Urbana Champaign for an interview 3/1-3/2. No conflicts with other interviews, though I think 8 interviews might be pushing my physical and mental limits. Then there is my work that needs to be considered - trying to get 3 papers submitted ASAP. I guess this is one of the better problems to have!

Poop. This is by far my number one. Was it by email or phone call? Also what are they thinking.with those dates...that is the weekend of Unofficial, the biggest party on campus, like 40,000 extra people come down to drink.

Has anybody checked their mail yet for a Rockefeller notice? Supposedly those notices should start coming in this week. Maybe Rockefeller will send them off today, and they'll arrive by tomorrow.

Poop. This is by far my number one. Was it by email or phone call? Also what are they thinking.with those dates...that is the weekend of Unofficial, the biggest party on campus, like 40,000 extra people come down to drink.

It was an email sent on 1/21. Deadline to accept the invitation is 2/1, if you're going to get an interview it should be this week. Unless they have another later date. Should be quite the party, though you don't get to go out much during these interviews. 

It was an email sent on 1/21. Deadline to accept the invitation is 2/1, if you're going to get an interview it should be this week. Unless they have another later date. Should be quite the party, though you don't get to go out much during these interviews. 

Yah I assume it would be this week. There is no way I would be in the first wave of invite anyway, just off putting haha. Yah, Unofficial gets a bit rowdy, and the University hates it, so I'm surprised they would let that weekend be the representative for all these grad students. Like, they HATE it. 

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I want to ask just a quick question. I have applied to Baylor College of Medicine. My first choice was Translational Biology and my second choice was Human Genetics. Last week when I checked my application I noticed that my active program changed to my second choice from my first choice. I thought this was a rejection. However, a couple of minutes ago when I rechecked my status I saw that the active program switched back to Translational Biology. Do you think that this means I am rejected by my second choice, too? Could it be possible that the Translational Biology program is reconsidering my application?

Thanks for the answers.

ps: I don't know if it makes a difference for the answer of the question but I am an international student.

Hey @nebube,

I just checked my application status on BCM website and found the same thing as you did, and I'm also an international student. However, I don't think it means anything. Well, maybe I'm a little bit negative about my application this year, but I have not got any interview invitation yet, this it is. Good luck.

Anyone else have a school blow them off after they told them they had a date conflict? I'm starting to think not going to the interveiw weekend for UW-Madison= no interview.

I originally thought CSHL had blown me off because I could not attend either interview weekend, but after talking to the recruitment coordinator today on the phone, she said the adcom was trying to organize a third weekend for students with conflicts.  Have you tried contacting UW-Madison to ask them for a personal date/another group weekend?  Some schools might be more accomodating than others.

Anyone else have a school blow them off after they told them they had a date conflict? I'm starting to think not going to the interveiw weekend for UW-Madison= no interview.

I think it shows them they're not your first choice, no?

I am having the same issue with UIC. There were two one-day options and I let the know that I had prior conflicts, asked about an alternate day, and expressed continued interest in the program, but I haven't heard back in over a week. I'm going to give them 'til the end of this week before I bug them again.