2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

Heard from Georgetown TODAY :)!!!!

Applied:(9) U Penn, Harvard, Stanford, UCSF, Tufts, BU, Georgetown, U of Chicago, Johns Hopkins Univ.
Interview (4/9) U Penn, Tufts (Immunology), U of Chicago (Immunology), JHU (Immunology), JHU (CMM), Georgetown (Tumor Biology)
Rejected (1): UCSF(BMS), Harvard (not officially but most likely)
Accepted:

Hi, everyone! I found this thread a couple of days ago and am posting for the first time. First, congrats to everyone on their exciting interviews in great programs! Second, I was wondering if I may pose a question to everyone on here:

I was recently contacted for an interview at one of my top choice programs (yay!). In the email, they told me where I'd be staying and for how long, but then mentioned that I'd be reimbursed for mileage ($.555/mi). This school is nearly 600 miles away, so while I could theoretically drive, it will cost them around $600 rountrip and cost me quite a bit of time. Not to mention, flights there are about $250, saving them money and me time/miles on my car. I'm not sure why I wasn't offered a flight...perhaps they thought I was closer?

Whatever the case, would it be appropriate to email them and make this "argument" to them? I don't want to seem difficult, though. I could just tell them the mileage and get reimbursed, but I feel like that is so wrong. I'm in the midst of finishing up my MS bench work and writing my thesis (along with teaching and taking seminars/journal clubs), so the extra two days for driving really aren't an option.

Thoughts?

UW-Madison just emailed me back. They are willing to schedule me for an alternative weekend so long as I am willing to pay for my own airline tickets. Testing my commitment perhaps? It's worth the price for me as long as they do not try to schedule me for another weekend I already have booked.

I would interpret this as that they are offended and your chances of getting in are seriously diminished. That said, you already have a ton of options, and I don't know how in love you are with them, but if you're not deadset on UWM, I'd say you might want to consider declining their invitation.

It is kind of an almost rude, "screw off" message to say you can come later but they won't pay -- it also implies they won't put together a nice interview day of events for you either. They have to know that this is how it'll come off to you and also that students aren't likely to come if the flight isn't paid unless it's a top, top choice, so If they aren't serious about you, why should you commit the time/money? 

Edited by bamafan

Heard from Georgetown TODAY :)!!!!

Applied:(9) U Penn, Harvard, Stanford, UCSF, Tufts, BU, Georgetown, U of Chicago, Johns Hopkins Univ.

Interview (4/9) U Penn, Tufts (Immunology), U of Chicago (Immunology), JHU (Immunology), JHU (CMM), Georgetown (Tumor Biology)

Accepted:

Congratulations! When are you are going? Looks like Georgetown and UPenn were good to us, but JHU was much kinder to you than me! Lol.

So... I'm super exited to be going on another interview this weekend, but has anyone heard from UCSD Biomedical Sciences? I'm getting worried.

I tried calling and it went to voicemail. I hope there are more coming. Its killing me....

Thanks! I will be going to Georgetown on feb 7th and 8th

and you?

February 22, as part of the joint program I applied to. I find it funny that Georgetown was one of my first apps, but I heard from them last. Better last than not at all!

I would interpret this as that they are offended and your chances of getting in are seriously diminished. That said, you already have a ton of options, and I don't know how in love you are with them, but if you're not deadset on UWM, I'd say you might want to consider declining their invitation.

It is kind of an almost rude, "screw off" message to say you can come later but they won't pay -- it also implies they won't put together a nice interview day of events for you either. They have to know that this is how it'll come off to you and also that students aren't likely to come if the flight isn't paid unless it's a top, top choice, so If they aren't serious about you, why should you commit the time/money?

Good question. Going to need to sleep on this one.

So... I'm super exited to be going on another interview this weekend, but has anyone heard from UCSD Biomedical Sciences? I'm getting worried.

Good luck to your interview at University of Florida!! I'm going to the second interview session on Feb 24.

I saw on their website (http://idp.med.ufl.edu/admissions/faculty-availability-for-idp-interviews/) that there might be over 40 students in your session 

Edited by mengyan528

Good luck to your interview at University of Florida!! I'm going to the second interview session on Feb 24.

I saw on their website (http://idp.med.ufl.edu/admissions/faculty-availability-for-idp-interviews/) that there might be over 40 students in your session 

Thanks! Good luck to you as well! I was just given final word on travel, today, so I didn't even know I was going to this one until then!

That is a TON of students! It makes me a little worried. How many spots do they award, again?

By the way, when I was at Baylor, one of the profs that interviewed me was on the way to help decide the Immunology interviewees, so if you haven't heard about an interview, yet.... soon.

Edited by biotechie

Thanks! Good luck to you as well! I was just given final word on travel, today, so I didn't even know I was going to this one until then!

That is a TON of students! It makes me a little worried. How many spots do they award, again?

By the way, when I was at Baylor, one of the profs that interviewed me was on the way to help decide the Immunology interviewees, so if you haven't heard about an interview, yet.... soon.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Baylor's decision. Thanks for your information :D

I don't really know how many people they enroll each year, but this is definitely a huge program. According to the current student list: http://oge.med.ufl.edu/Students/CurrentStudents.html, there are about 157 students. If they enroll constant number of people each year, and we divide this number by 5 or 6, i guess >=20.

Ohhh...did you mean how many interviewees altogether? I think there might be fewer people in the second session. I just feel I'm not well-prepared for an interview so I chose the second one. 

Yeah, I'm still waiting for Baylor's decision. Thanks for your information :D

I don't really know how many people they enroll each year, but this is definitely a huge program. According to the current student list: http://oge.med.ufl.edu/Students/CurrentStudents.html, there are about 157 students. If they enroll constant number of people each year, and we divide this number by 5 or 6, i guess >=20.

Ohhh...did you mean how many interviewees altogether? I think there might be fewer people in the second session. I just feel I'm not well-prepared for an interview so I chose the second one. 

That's bigger than the program I interviewed for at Baylor, then. So... I'm guessing odds of admission after interview are around 25%. Not bad.

I suspect. UCSD Bio is probably full and Scripps is selective. Maybe SDSU....

There is hope!!! stay strong!

They are gonna cover hotel/food.  Just got to find a way to get there.

@ mrmolecularbiology did u get an official rejection from Stanford? or are you just assuming rejection???

I am still waiting to hear from them!

Any news from Stanford????............................... :(

Accepted: