2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

That may also be why it's nearing the end of January and no interview invites have been sent out.  I'm not sure about general Biological Sciences, but I'll assume as such.

I had everything turned in and still got the "You're missing required materials" notice, and it even said I didn't need to send any in during the email.  They somehow lost one of my required documents, but after calling them I got it figured out.

Edited by Biohopeful

Has anybody heard from UCSD systems bio/bioinformatics? and if so, when?

I heard about 3 days ago, but I think it's likely there will be at least another round of invites as I got a second email today that seems to indicate they're sorting through respondents and the visit isn't until March 8. Good luck!

I never posted my stats, because, frankly, you all are pretty intimidatingly qualified ;o)

But, I'm home sick, and since I've been getting way more interest from grad schools than I expected, maybe I can give some hope to some low-GPA'd applicants who read through this thread for next year.

Undergrad Institution: State school in the midwest, well-regarded for STEM-field research

Major(s): Pharmaceutical Science (Med. chem. concentration)

Minor(s): English, Organizational Leadership, Chemistry

GPA in Major: school didn't calculate, but Cornell required me to calculate my science GPA, and it was well under 3.0.

Overall GPA: 3.08. I had a lot of fun in college.

Position in Class: No idea. Probably not good.

Type of Student: Domestic female, very very white

GRE Scores (revised version):

Q: 166

V: 168

W: 5.5

B: n/a

Research Experience: 4.5 years in a (nominally) med. chem. lab, mostly doing cancer biochemistry. One summer internship in pharma manufacturing. Nearly 5 years in Big Pharma (yes, I am old). Titular pharmacologist, but mostly do structural/bioanalytical chemistry.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: National Merit Scholar, a freshman research fellowship, undergrad research award.

Special Bonus Points: Three excellent LORs, from two work PIs and one undergrad research advisor.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've been heading-up some cool new technology initiatives at work that make my CV a pretty respectable length, finally.

Applying to Where: A bunch of biochem/chem bio programs. Sig. will continue to be updated as I receive more results.

Edited by cleverfool

Yah I have had literally everything in and finished since like Dec 27th or so, except this PS Final Transcripts 1 row under my Unofficial Transcripts upload. When I called I was told that apparently the system thought I had received my degree already, and was asking for my Final Transcripts from then. If that is the case, why would it also ask for Unofficial Transcripts? Not to mention they said they don't want Official Transcripts till you get in. The whole thing has been really confusing. Ugh.

Just checked my application, and I guess they fixed it without contacting me. It now says All Materials received-Please Await Further Updates. At least it got done. 

berkeley/ucsf bioe!!!! is it weird that i'm happy i read the email one minute after it was sent?

I got nothin'. Guess I'll be getting my rejection sometime in the next few days. =\

Congrats!

I have heard that they do not care from a recent PhD graduate (MCB). Just one source though. I'm sure it also depends on committee members and what they care about

Unfortunately, this is true.  I was an undergrad at Berkeley (now I volunteer in a lab there), and I have a pretty compelling personal story (have a genetic illness, got very sick, managed to get a 3.74 GPA even though I was in and out of the hospital all the time, finally stabilized and work in a lab now, dream is to study the illness I suffer from) and my lab mentor told me I should hide my illness because grad schools wouldn't want to take a chance on me.   :wacko:

Thanks!

That was just his recommendation.  :/  I didn't take it, I didn't feel like it would be beneficial to hide something like that.

Just received an acceptance to University of Pennsylvania Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Program! My dream offer!! Freaking out right now!!

To think that this time last week, I was sitting at the welcome dinner stressing about the next day's interviews!

Edited by ion_exchanger

Just received an acceptance to University of Pennsylvania Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Program! My dream offer!! Freaking out right now!!

To think that this time last week, I was sitting at the welcome dinner stressing about the next day's interviews!

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Just received an acceptance to University of Pennsylvania Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics Program! My dream offer!! Freaking out right now!!   To think that this time last week, I was sitting at the welcome dinner stressing about the next day's interviews!
Congratulations!

Isn't it crazy to hear so early? I got a decision, today as well, and I was at my school last week! :)

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Congratulations!

Thanks guys!

Congrats!!!  When are your other interviews?

My other interviews are in 2 weeks, and 4 weeks next month.

Isn't it crazy to hear so early? I got a decision, today as well, and I was at my school last week! :)

I know! I sort of figured that the decisions would come about a week later, based on the trends on the results page. I hope that your decision was positive as well. I'm so relieved to at least have somewhere to go next year! Good luck to everyone!

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding skype interviews. 2 days ago I have received an e-mail from UIUC for a Skype Interview. The available dates were today and next monday (Jan 25 and Jan 28) and they said that they will let me know the date and time of the interview. Although I have replied the e-mail and said that both dates were ok for me, I haven't heard back from them yet. I sent the e mail again today in case they didn't see. Is it common that they let you know the interview time at the very last minute?

Also, they wanted me to make a list of the POIs that I would consider rotating with. Is it possible that none of the professors in my list wanted to interview with me?

I am really worried about the interview since UIUC is one of my top choices and they offered an interview although the POI that I have put on my SOP is not taking any students this year.

Edited by nebube