2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

I'm officially considering myself to be on the wait list for BBSP at Chapel-hill and UCSD Biology. This is only because I have yet to receive official rejections and other applicants have. UCD BMCDB needs to hurry it up though, straight slippin' yo.

Next week is going to be my gauntlet - 3 interviews in 9 days.  <_< <--- gameface

You were saying earlier that isn't GEMS right?

The MCDB program is under general Biological Sciences, so not GEMS.  Hang in there!  I haven't heard anything regarding GEMS.

Next week is going to be my gauntlet - 3 interviews in 9 days.  dry.png <--- gameface

Good luck!  You're a trooper.  3 interviews 3 weekends in a row is already putting me into a panic.

Edited by Biohopeful

First Acceptance  Purdue PULSe program -  #2 school choice!!!!

This is such a weight off my shoulders.  I submitted my application in Sept. and hadn't heard ANYTHING from them since........It was a pain getting the ETS evaluations though so maybe they deleted some of the competition.  

Tuition, 80% medical, Stipend $23,000 first year (minimum) 2nd- years funded by lab but stipend will be at least $23,000 Visit weekend Feb. 28th- March 1

BTW (how do you add the lists at the bottom?  I have tried to figure it out no dice....)

This is such a weight off my shoulders.  I submitted my application in Sept. and hadn't heard ANYTHING from them since........It was a pain getting the ETS evaluations though so maybe they deleted some of the competition.  

Tuition, 80% medical, Stipend $23,000 first year (minimum) 2nd- years funded by lab but stipend will be at least $23,000 Visit weekend Feb. 28th- March 1

BTW (how do you add the lists at the bottom?  I have tried to figure it out no dice....)

go to your profile, click edit profile, then on from the left options click on signature. 

congrats

Nice! Congrats. The first one sure is a weight off your shoulders. I know, mine was just 3 days ago haha. I applied to Purdue Biological Sciences and bounced between PULSe and the regular program. Haven't heard anything from Purdue Biological Sciences and their app was due Dec 7, yet Loyola was Dec 1 and I just heard from them Monday. Oh grad schools, you so silly. 

Banksy,

Did you get the ASU conflict straightened out? 

They offered to accomodate me. They want to wait until more people respond with conflicts so they can plan an alternative weekend as opposed to individual visits. I gave them my availability, which is pretty much booked until 3/10, and they said the alternate dates will be sometime after 3/10.

You should let me know how you like it!

trickster:

I saw someone who applied to Purdue Biological Sciences was rejected.  I wonder if we'll hear something soon?  I haven't heard anything from Purdue and my application status still says "Under Review".

Congrats! I definitely know the feeling, the first acceptance feels like a HUGE weight is lifted. My first acceptance was exactly a week ago, two weeks before my 2nd interview! Anyone else going to head into your next interview with a little more confidence?

Congrats! I definitely know the feeling, the first acceptance feels like a HUGE weight is lifted. My first acceptance was exactly a week ago, two weeks before my 2nd interview! Anyone else going to head into your next interview with a little more confidence?

I was definitely able to head into my second interview with more confidence; I think it showed, hopefully not too much. The PIs kept asking me why I wasn't nervous. I guess telling them I was comfortable with talking about my research projects was a good answer? Since the school that accepted me was my top choice and the one I just interviewed at was also a top choice, I declined by backup school interview. I was waitlisted at UCSD so that means.... my interview season is done. :)

It will be time to make decisions, very soon.

just called UCD BMCDB - They just started looking at applications, depending on order of invites, we should be hearing from them in the next few weeks. They better invite me! AND have a late interview weekend.  :angry: or ELSE!!! - lol

Finally, some news about UCD! I'm already booked for their interview weekend though (2/28-3/1), so hopefully they have some alternate dates.

Ahhhh!! I don't know if I can take another month of waiting. I had actually been debating whether or not to email the dean about my application, but now I have a timeline to work with. Did they say anything about rejections? Or do you think they'll wait until March 1st and send out a mass email to anyone who didn't get an interview spot?

No, they didn't talk about rejections. But you can definitely email them if you think this is more comfortable than talking on the phone. It's likely that they will send out a mass email but it is also possible that they won't send rejections at all... So I will check with them occasionally instead of waiting for their notifications.

One reason I think they set March 1st to be THEIR deadline is because there are also international applicants: usually domestic applications are reviewed first, and then they review the international ones. And international applicants usually receive interview invitations later than domestic applicants.

Good luck!

This might be a silly question: do we need to take notes during interview? Or do we need to bring a purse or something to carry, say, CV, cell phone, etc?

Some schools provide you with a nice little backpack/bag. Most don't, though. It will help if you bring some notes (about the professors), your CV, and any info on your project in with you. It may help if you have a small notebook to more clearly draw any reaction schemes or details from your previous projects. Some professors will answer questions that you will want to write down, too! I brought a nice laptop bag to mine, and it was perfect for my portfolio, phone, etc.

FYI, University of Florida does not provide a bag, so definitely bring one. There is a TON of walking on the first day and on interview day. One of my interviews was 10 minutes walking away from the Brain Institute where we had most of our meetings. Luckily I had on boots that weren't that uncomfortable.

Some schools provide you with a nice little backpack/bag. Most don't, though. It will help if you bring some notes (about the professors), your CV, and any info on your project in with you. It may help if you have a small notebook to more clearly draw any reaction schemes or details from your previous projects. Some professors will answer questions that you will want to write down, too! I brought a nice laptop bag to mine, and it was perfect for my portfolio, phone, etc.

FYI, University of Florida does not provide a bag, so definitely bring one. There is a TON of walking on the first day and on interview day. One of my interviews was 10 minutes walking away from the Brain Institute where we had most of our meetings. Luckily I had on boots that weren't that uncomfortable.

Thank you so much biotechie especially for your extra info on clothing!  ^_^

No, they didn't talk about rejections. But you can definitely email them if you think this is more comfortable than talking on the phone. It's likely that they will send out a mass email but it is also possible that they won't send rejections at all... So I will check with them occasionally instead of waiting for their notifications.

One reason I think they set March 1st to be THEIR deadline is because there are also international applicants: usually domestic applications are reviewed first, and then they review the international ones. And international applicants usually receive interview invitations later than domestic applicants.

Good luck!

Thanks! Who did you call to check on your status?

trickster:

I saw someone who applied to Purdue Biological Sciences was rejected.  I wonder if we'll hear something soon?  I haven't heard anything from Purdue and my application status still says "Under Review".

Yah just checked my earlier today and it said "Under Review". It's better than Rejected. 

I'm officially considering myself to be on the wait list for BBSP at Chapel-hill and UCSD Biology. This is only because I have yet to receive official rejections and other applicants have. UCD BMCDB needs to hurry it up though, straight slippin' yo.
I got info from a UNC prof that it looks like BBSP still needs to get interviewers set up for the subsequent interview weekends. I'm also considering myself to be on the BBSP waitlist. I suppose having at least 1 prof from the department 100% willing to take you in wouldn't help much if you have to go through the admissions committee first. :( But yeah, if they wanted to reject us in the first place, they should have told us a loooong time ago. :)

Just had my Einstein interview yesterday. For those of you going, be warned. They will stick at least one member of the admissions committee onto your list of interviewers, whether you've requested them or not. In fact, if you havent requested them then that is a good way to figure out who they are. They will grill you pretty hard and ask you leading questions to try to see how you react. Be firm about your desire to go to Einstein. 

I got info from a UNC prof that it looks like BBSP still needs to get interviewers set up for the subsequent interview weekends. I'm also considering myself to be on the BBSP waitlist. I suppose having at least 1 prof from the department 100% willing to take you in wouldn't help much if you have to go through the admissions committee first. :( But yeah, if they wanted to reject us in the first place, they should have told us a loooong time ago. :)

Well. sometimes rejections take a bit longer to trickle out. I'm totally expecting rejections from UCSD BIO and UNC BBSP. At this point it doesn't really matter, though UCSD was my #2.

I called 214-648-5617 on this web page:http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/about-us/contact-us.html

I just talked to someone at the graduate school on the phone and she said they would most likely not be extending any more interview offers past the week of February 11th, but official rejections wouldn't come until April 15. Boo :C