2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

anyone have info on how small umich plans on making this incoming pibs class? i heard they're shrinking it a little so post-interview admit rates might be lower and take longer to trickle out...
I'm also worrying about it!! Heard from one grad student host when I visited during Jan 24-26, seems like around 60% post-interview acceptance rate. the official saying of 80% acceptance rate may not be true. So worried now.

How soon are you guys letting schools that accept you know of your decisions? Obviously we have to complete interviews before giving a final decision (I'm done with mine), but is there a certain amount of time that you wait? I was thinking of making my choices known on Monday.

How soon are you guys letting schools that accept you know of your decisions? Obviously we have to complete interviews before giving a final decision (I'm done with mine), but is there a certain amount of time that you wait? I was thinking of making my choices known on Monday.

I think when you have made a decision and know for sure, then you can let the schools know as soon as you are ready. If you have weighed your options and are ready to make the call, then its absolutely fine to let them know Monday, as long as you have allowed yourself to truly make an informed decision.

I won't know my official results until March 1st and the earliest, and I plan on taking a week or so to really weigh my options. I want to let everyone know ASAP so that people on the wait lists can have a chance as well.

can somebody post an example of a post-interview thank you/follow-up email to a professor? i want to write a few this coming week but im really over-thinking about what to say

I think all you need to say is something along the lines of 

"Thank you for taking the time to meet with me ______ (whenever it was), I enjoyed our conversation."

If something in particular was talked about, that you found helpful or interesting you should say that in the email as well. Here is an email I sent ;;

Dear Professor X,

Thank you for taking the time and talking with me on Friday. I appreciate your blunt honesty regarding the program and the type of students that thrive in it. I will keep the points you made in mind as I am making my decision regarding a graduate program. Thanks again!

Best,

Stefan

He replied by saying "Good Luck" and thats it. During the interview he basically went over the strengths of the program and the types of students that thrived in it. Because there were two people being "interviewed" we didn't talk much about research, though I was able to get in my 3 minute spiel before the other interviewee showed up and he brought up a specific project that he is trying to get funding for that deals exactly with my background. He was a "to the point" type of person, which I appreciated.

These people aren't necessarily looking to start up an email correspondence with you, unless of course you two hit it off proper. Keep it short and express your enthusiasm about the program. Definitely do not over think.

Banksy,

I think all you need to say is something along the lines of 

"Thank you for taking the time to meet with me ______ (whenever it was), I enjoyed our conversation."

If something in particular was talked about, that you found helpful or interesting you should say that in the email as well. Here is an email I sent ;;

Dear Professor X,

Thank you for taking the time and talking with me on Friday. I appreciate your blunt honesty regarding the program and the type of students that thrive in it. I will keep the points you made in mind as I am making my decision regarding a graduate program. Thanks again!

Best,

Stefan

You got to talk to Professor X ....... What kind of program did you say you were applying too? :rolleyes:

I need to get some sleep..... :blink:

Yeah.  Same here.

I'm thinking Northwestern is a rejection at this point for me, since I haven't heard anything.  I don't know what's going on with Purdue.

Yah I am waiting to hear from 3 programs. Haven't heard of anyone getting interviews though, so I don't know what to think. 

I have a question.

I just got an email from a professor whom I had a conversation with during the interview weekend (not an official interview but I requested him for a short meeting because he was one of my top choices but I didn't get a chance to interview with him. Anyway the conversation went quite well and we happened to talk for almost two hours).

I just got accepted into the school and he sent me an email with congratulation and saying that he enjoyed talking with me and look forward to seeing me if I choose to attend the school.

Is this a good sign that he is really interested in me? Or is this just a routine, formal email that every student gets after being accepted into school?

How should I reply to his email?

@BeakerBreaker Just checked. My UT direct status still says In Review. I got an email from the admissions coordinator at CMB saying that I was officially admitted, and included the form I would sign if I choose to accept the offer.

Thanks SynBio+ragumar, that will save my F5 key a few more presses XD

edit - Just got accepted to UT: Austin's biochemistry program a few minutes ago by email, so I suspect they're sending out all CMB-related program acceptances today for people who interviewed at the first weekend

Edited by BeakerBreaker

Accepted to University of Iowa Molecular and Cellular Biology PHD program! First and most likely only acceptance! I was getting worried... But now I have a future! 

I know exactly how you feel.  I had been trying to be positive and figure out what my fall back would be.  Logically you know that you will figure something out eventually.

Despite the acceptance.. I still worry that someone is going to call or email that it was all just a mistake.  :unsure:

Congratulations to everyone else!!!... except those getting accepted at UT Austin  (kidding .....been under review for 4 months and no word...)