2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

I have a question.

I just got an email from a professor whom I had a conversation with during the interview weekend (not an official interview but I requested him for a short meeting because he was one of my top choices but I didn't get a chance to interview with him. Anyway the conversation went quite well and we happened to talk for almost two hours).

I just got accepted into the school and he sent me an email with congratulation and saying that he enjoyed talking with me and look forward to seeing me if I choose to attend the school.

Is this a good sign that he is really interested in me? Or is this just a routine, formal email that every student gets after being accepted into school?

How should I reply to his email?

If he took two hours to talk to you and sent you an email, he is probably interested in you. Are you interested in this lab if you go this school? I would probably say that if you are.

Been lurking for a while...For any environmental or ecology or evolution applicants, how is the process treating everyone? I'm a little frightened by the other life science degrees finishing up on here. I have only heard from a tiny fraction of schools and am starting to think the silence may mean I have a huge amount of rejections coming my way... Are ecology programs just slower or later in their evaluations or has anyone else heard from their programs or have/had interviews already? Thanks...all the biochem and molecular students finishing up on here, you're really starting to scare me! :( So any lurking EEB students...I would love to hear from you and know I'm not alone!

Congratulations to everyone who's gotten acceptances recently! It must be such an amazing feeling.

Been lurking for a while...For any environmental or ecology or evolution applicants, how is the process treating everyone? I'm a little frightened by the other life science degrees finishing up on here. I have only heard from a tiny fraction of schools and am starting to think the silence may mean I have a huge amount of rejections coming my way... Are ecology programs just slower or later in their evaluations or has anyone else heard from their programs or have/had interviews already? Thanks...all the biochem and molecular students finishing up on here, you're really starting to scare me! :( So any lurking EEB students...I would love to hear from you and know I'm not alone!

I'm not strictly EEB, but most of my applications are in related fields (i.e. not biomedical sciences). From searching through the results pages it looks like quite a few of my programs don't get in touch with anyone until later in February/early March, and I'm under the general impression that a lot of EEB-type programs are on a later time scale, especially those that don't interview (somebody correct me if I'm grossly mistaken there). However, I still can't help that little nagging feeling that the reason why I haven't heard back is because of a flood of impending rejections.... we've gotta stay positive though! Let's hope that this next month or two will bring plenty of good news  :)

Anyone know when University of Oregon begins to send their invites? Or if they are an accept/reject type of place? I don't see any status updates for the biology program there in past years on the results search...

I was also wondering about this. I haven't seen or heard anything about Oregon or University of Colorado Boulder. I think maybe ill try calling to ask about the status of their decision process. Ill let you know if I get any info.

I called Scripps (Ca) yesterday about the biology program and she said they are sending out most of the invites next week. Also, had anyone heard from Hawaii Manoa CMB?

Can you still log on to your application? I just thought I'd check and it said:

"The Graduate Office has disabled logins for this account:

• Either the application deadline has passed, or
  • some other administrative action has been taken."

I know that this log in did not have a "status" area, but I'm wondering what this means? I'm already assuming I have no chance and have started studying for the GRE again and planning for Dec. I just want to know for sure before  I pay for anything (GRE or extension classes). Maybe I'll call them.......

I just called, she said that the system just resets to prepare for the next year. It means nothing. She said that the committee was meeting this week and that interview invitations can go out up to the beginning of March and rejections wouldn't go out until April. I'm being a realist and studying for the GRE.........sigh..........

Hey guys, I just learned that one of my interviews is going to be an ( I don't know how else to explain it) admissions committee style interview. My guess is that there are going to be a panel of people interviewing me. Does anyone have experience with this type of interview? Maybe one or more people interviewing me alone, or even a group of us?

Congratulations to everyone who's gotten acceptances recently! It must be such an amazing feeling.     I'm not strictly EEB, but most of my applications are in related fields (i.e. not biomedical sciences). From searching through the results pages it looks like quite a few of my programs don't get in touch with anyone until later in February/early March, and I'm under the general impression that a lot of EEB-type programs are on a later time scale, especially those that don't interview (somebody correct me if I'm grossly mistaken there). However, I still can't help that little nagging feeling that the reason why I haven't heard back is because of a flood of impending rejections.... we've gotta stay positive though! Let's hope that this next month or two will bring plenty of good news  :)
That's a relief to hear...I suppose I should stay a little more positive, I actually have no idea whether many of my programs interview or not. Rooting on these next few weeks! Really do wish our fields followed the timeline of these other bio programs, but alas, I'll attempt to tone down the obsessing...

So for one of my upcoming interviews, a couple faculty from the program have contacted me about their research, available graduate student positions, and that they are looking forward to meeting with me when I visit.  Is this a standard procedure?  These are faculty that share similar research interests with me, so I'm assuming they have at least looked at parts of my application.

Hey guys, I just learned that one of my interviews is going to be an ( I don't know how else to explain it) admissions committee style interview. My guess is that there are going to be a panel of people interviewing me. Does anyone have experience with this type of interview? Maybe one or more people interviewing me alone, or even a group of us?

I'm not sure how to interpret this.  Is this different from an adcomm member interviewing you?  It sounds like a panel of admissions committee members, like you already indicated.

Edited by Biohopeful

So for one of my upcoming interviews, a couple faculty from the program have contacted me about their research, available graduate student positions, and that they are looking forward to meeting with me when I visit.  Is this a standard procedure?  These are faculty that share similar research interests with me, so I'm assuming they have at least looked at parts of my application.

Sounds like they are interested in you, which is good. Also sounds like they are going to expect a little more out of you during the interview. What program is this for? I have not experienced something like that, so it's not standard procedure as far as I know, but everyone is different

This is for Notre Dame.  I've never experienced anything like this before, but it's making me more excited and anxious for the interviews, and excited to meet with the faculty.  Here, students have the option of doing 2 rotations or matriculating under a specific faculty member who can support them.  My other programs require rotations, etc.

This is for Notre Dame.  I've never experienced anything like this before, but it's making me more excited and anxious for the interviews, and excited to meet with the faculty.  Here, students have the option of doing 2 rotations or matriculating under a specific faculty member who can support them.  My other programs require rotations, etc.

I hear rotations are a good experience and you should do them even if you know what lab you want to join.

Yeah, I would definitely opt for the rotation route.  In any case, I think they're looking for new recruits from the interview pool who fit their interests; something I'm taking as great news, and I hope I'm able to impress them a bit (especially since the research is up my alley).

Good luck on your interviews!

Edited by Biohopeful

@Banksy Good luck this weekend at UCSF! Please share your experience afterwords. I'd like to know what to expect before I go next weekend.

sure thing. i haven't been sleeping well the past few days due to combined stress from work and interviews. going to make sure i get plenty of sleep tonight.

sure thing. i haven't been sleeping well the past few days due to combined stress from work and interviews. going to make sure i get plenty of sleep tonight.

Don't forget to bring official copies of your transcripts!! I know I probably won't remember next week.

Edited by mrmolecularbiology

YAY! It is finally all over!! i've committed and confirmed my acceptance, and I move back to the midwest (albeit a different state) right after my undergraduate graduation in May. I have to admit, this has been quite the roller coaster. If anyone ever asks me for advice about this whole process in the future, I'd say make sure you pick schools that no matter how it turns out, if one of them ends up being your only choice, you'd be thrilled to go.

I will keep checking in to see all the wonderful news of acceptances, and I hope everyone else finds their dream program and future home without much more stress. 

Thanks for all the support

SO......... Where are you going?  

ND nice! I was gonna apply but I ran into, problems and I didn't think my updated transcript would get there in time. Would have been a cool interview. Half my family went there.

Everyone seems really nice thus far.  I wish I had more insight into their interview weekends and how many people are admitted afterwards.  It seems like a lot of it based on fit, and whether there are faculty there who have the funds and are willing to take on students who are interested in their research.  Even so, I'm really nervous.  I'm a terrible interviewer.

And thank you for posting that, mybiologyblog!  I'm glad you found a place that you'll be happy to attend.  I'm still sitting here, after applying to "only" 6 schools, wondering if I should have applied to more.  But in the end, it's quality of quantity.

Edited by Biohopeful