Too late to email POIs?

dendy

Most of my apps are due Dec 3rd. I've been so busy with work, the NSF GRFP, and rounding up my letters that I haven't really thought about emailing POI. There are many POIs at each school I would love to work with so I haven't really narrowed it down. Some of my apps--namely for Stanford--ask you to list faculty you have contacted. It's not a required entry, but is it "required?" Could the POIs consider it rude for some reason to email so soon before applying? Some apps just want me to list several profs I want to interview with--should I contact these people before listing them as well?

(This is from a humanities perspective, so take that into account.) I don't think it will seem rude, but you may seem unprepared/disorganized. I'm assuming that's not the case if your apps are on track to be completed next week, but maybe don't risk it? If your SOPs state why you want to work with those people, then it will be clear that you did your homework, even if you didn't contact them. I've read some mixed reviews in various forums regarding contacting POIs versus not, so I think there are a number of applicants who don't choose to go that route. Based on absolutely nothing but my own gut feelings, my advice is to not contact them this late because your apps can make up for it, and contacting them will flag you as a last minute person.

I know there are conflicting opinions about contacting POIs -- in general, I have opted not to contact any during this application process. However, yesterday I did contact one, exactly one week before applications are due. I was honest in my email, saying that although I normally don't contact professors because I recognize they have a busy schedule, after re-reading his book, ______ , I couldn't control my excitement. I summed up my research interests in a few lines, told him how his book had challenged my understandings of _____ and in what way, causing me to reconsider _____ in my senior thesis, and ended by saying I hope we have a chance to discuss his work in person one day. I didn't ask any questions -- just an email that might possibly make him remember me when he is reviewing a thousand applications. I know that's not the standard format people have been using but I tried to just be myself and be honest about my enthusiasm. Also, I did research on him before I sent this and saw online videos of his presentations, in which he made a lot of jokes and generally seemed very personable and casual, and like the kind of person who would welcome contact. In response to my email I got an automated response saying he was out of office currently and can't respond, which was a bit disappointing but at least I'm not checking my email every 2 minutes hoping for a response.

Anyway, I say go with your gut instinct and consider whatever knowledge you can gather about the professor's personality.

Also, I'm also applying to stanford and for what it's worth, have not contacted any professors, but have talked to a graduate student in the department (that was also just a few days ago), who responded positively saying I seemed very focused, gave me some advice, and said best of luck. That person, however, was a friend of a friend.

Thanks! My main worry is having that blank spot on my app count against me. I really doubt any prof would be so petty as to get upset that I email them so close the deadline; at worst they just won't respond. I don't have anything to lose so I guess I'll try and shoot some (thoughtful) emails off.

I think it depends on the program- I'm applying for MS positions and still emailing POIs, because a few responses have been "I won't know if I have funding until January so email me again then." It can't hurt- but again most of the things I'm applying for don't have deadlines until February, I'm not sure how it works for neuro!