History Ph.D. programs without traditional written comprehensive/preliminary exams?

kahlan_amnell

Hello everyone. I used to post on this forum a number of years ago, so probably none of you remember me. I'm looking into reapplying to graduate school after completing three years of a Ph.D. program, but not passing my written exams. I could go into lots of detail about how the process wasn't all that fair, but unless anyone is interested, I'll spare everyone that.

I'd still like to get a Ph.D., but it seems that traditional timed written comprehensive exams where you have to write all you know in a few short hours are not compatible with my learning style. At least not ones that require me to memorize the main arguments of about 500 books. I was wondering if anyone had come across any programs that don't have written exams at all, or who offer them in a take home format over a couple of days. Basically anything where the emphasis isn't on a ridiculous amount of memorization.

If you are reading this and thinking "I should reply mocking this person because ____" please just move along. Your comments are not needed and will be ignored.

Look at Ohio State and Wisconsin. PhD programs are going under revisions for their graduate programs so you would do well to read the graduate handbook and e-mail the DGS. PhD programs these days are now interested improving their time-to-degree from 10 years down to 6-7 so they are changing so students don't take three-four years to get to their exams.

You'll have to figure out how you're going to justify why you failed your exams and trying a different PhD program.

If you have a disability, it's something to consider in terms of working with the PhD program, your adviser, and the disability office. If this is for real, can you go back to your PhD institution and petition for a re-take?

Thanks for the suggestions, though Winconsin is a pretty tough program to get into from what I understand.

My previous insitution is not open to petitions for a re-take, and frankly it was actually a bad fit for me. That will be my justification when reapplying. Also, I am planning to change what field I am working in, so that is additional justification.

Europe isn't really an option for me, because I am married and don't want to move far away from my husband. Also, European Ph.D.s mostly lead to European employment, since they don't have coursework and don't prepare their graduates for teaching.

Edited by kahlan_amnell

Hey! Welcome back! I think that you should try to identify programs you're interested in, then read their grad handbook online to see how they handle comprehensive exams, since that will help you identify the most appropriate programs given your research interests and concerns about comprehensive exams. History isn't my field so I can't offer any specific programs or anything. but, sorry to hear that your comps weren't a good experience and that you're back to applying again.

Why should you tell your prospective school that you failed to pass preliminary exams at another school for some reason? If I were you, I would prefer to tell after being admitted. Is this dishonesty?

By the way, as you implied above, this failure is not a real failure, you just made a false choice. It is not compatible with my learning style too. For that reason, I am also applying to UK schools and will decide afterwards by taking all pros and cons of two systems into consideration. But I understand your concerns about moving to Europe. I know how difficult it is to make such a decision.

Good luck!

Edited by PieMonster

• 2 weeks later...

PieMonster: I have to mention it to be honest, and also because my transcripts would reveal it anyway. Moving to Europe is really not an option for me unless my husband wanted to go as well, and his current academic job search is in the US and Canada.

CrazyCatLady80: I completed a MA at a different program from the one I was working on a Ph.D. at, so another MA would not be productive unless it was such a different field that it made sense to do that.