Adler Graduate Professional School (Toronto)?

_Hatty_

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anybody has heard of Adler Graduate Professional School. The school is NOT affiliated with Adler School of Professional Psychology in Chicago or Vancouver, but they offer a Master of Psychology program.

I'd like to hear your input/review on this.

Thanks!

Hi! Thanks for the response. I have another question for you or anyone else who might be knowledgeable in this aspect. To my understanding (at least for CPA), accreditation only applies to PhD and post-doctorate level, so my question is how exactly will the selection of a MA/MS.c degree is related to accreditation at all?

Thanks a lot!

Hi! Thanks for the response. I have another question for you or anyone else who might be knowledgeable in this aspect. To my understanding (at least for CPA), accreditation only applies to PhD and post-doctorate level, so my question is how exactly will the selection of a MA/MS.c degree is related to accreditation at all?

Thanks a lot!

Not having accredidation will affect your ability to get licensed in most places. Meaning, not having it means you can't work as a counselor in most states. Not sure about Canadian provinces. If your ultimate goal is to get a PhD, it will make you a significantly stronger candidate. Check local laws for how APA/CPA would affect you if you are interested in practicing.

Edited by watson

Watson...you are giving her incorrect information. First of all, there is no list of APA accredited clinical psychology Masters programs. Second of all, APA doesn't accredit Masters programs. It is the Mental Health Counselor programs or Master of Education programs in Counseling Psychology that are accredited by a different governing body, such as CCPA in Canada. An example of this program is M.Ed. in Counseling Psychology at UToronto. Watson is correct in saying that you cannot work as a counselor or a psychologist in most states if you PhD program is not accredited by APA or CPA.

If the school you have mentioned offers PhD programs and is not accredited by APA or CPA, I'd be wary of that. However, if the school does not offer PhD programs, you can take their Masters program for Clinical Psychology if you are eventually going to apply to a PhD program at an accredited university.

Edited by denimfan

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to my question. I live in Canada so the requirements could be somewhat different in comparison to The States. I did inquire The Canadian Psychological Association and was informed the followings:

Membership in the Canadian Psychological Association is voluntary and does not give an individual a licence to practice psychology nor does it attest to any credentials he/she may have. It is our national professional association and not a regulatory body.

To practice psychology in Canada individuals need to be registered with the regulatory body for psychology in the province or territory in which they wish to practice.

Regardless I guess what is more important at this point is to determine if a) I am eligible to practice subsequent to completing my Master's in my province (Ontario) and B) Whether universities will accredit the Master's Degree at Adler (U of T PhD Program accepts)

^^Above information is for anyone who might also be seeking to attend private, non-sectarian institution for their graduate studies.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Full disclosure--I am President of Adler Graduate Professional School. I know this thread is old, but I just discovered it and want to answer some questions.

ADLER has been offering its own degrees in Ontario only since 201, so we are new on the block. Our curriculum was designed to meet the educational requirements of the College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO) for practice in clinical or counselling psychology, which allows qualified master's graduates to register as Psychological Associates. Although there is some movement toward eliminating this designation, it allows greater access for people who want to provide psychological services without having to spend considerable time as researchers before engaging in clinical work. Neither CPA nor APA accredits master degree programs, but our graduates have been successful in having their credentials accepted by CPO. Many of them are now moving toward registration with CPO (we haven't been in operation long enough to have our graduates get through all the CPO hoops).

As a private institution, we receive no funds from the government. I agree that our tuition is ridiculous, but so is the tuition now charged by public universities in Canada--about half of what we charge. I would prefer that all education be free. Meanwhile, we offer courses on weekends and weekends so that working professionals may attend (and afford it).

Our program is for those outliers who have the capacity for graduate professional education but have somehow tripped up along the way or only realized later in their careers that they want to do clinical work.

Clearly, I am a blatant promoter of our program--for the right students, of course. So please ask around and check out the experience of our students and their supervisors as they enter the profession.

• 2 years later...

This is a very disappointing school, you basically pay to obtain your degree. There is minimal learning that happens, faculty are complacent, and you don't receive much feedback as a student to help you grow. Getting practicums is also very difficult as no reputable institution or clinic in the GTA recognizes ADLER and for good reason - the quality of education is very poor. It's ridiculously expensive, you might as well pay for a higher quality education elsewhere in the states. The school is a joke, I regret having wasted my money on them. Realistically, you register with  College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) as a psychotherapist, it's very difficult to register as a psychological associate with the College of Psychologists in Ontario (CPO) as again, the program does not prepare you for it. To date, there are currently no ADLER graduates registered in Ontario with CPO as the exams are rigorous and the school does not prepare for you it. For the price, Yorkville University is probably better to attend. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 1:59 AM, truthpie said:

This is a very disappointing school, you basically pay to obtain your degree. There is minimal learning that happens, faculty are complacent, and you don't receive much feedback as a student to help you grow. Getting practicums is also very difficult as no reputable institution or clinic in the GTA recognizes ADLER and for good reason - the quality of education is very poor. It's ridiculously expensive, you might as well pay for a higher quality education elsewhere in the states. The school is a joke, I regret having wasted my money on them. Realistically, you register with  College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) as a psychotherapist, it's very difficult to register as a psychological associate with the College of Psychologists in Ontario (CPO) as again, the program does not prepare you for it. To date, there are currently no ADLER graduates registered in Ontario with CPO as the exams are rigorous and the school does not prepare for you it. For the price, Yorkville University is probably better to attend. 

Yorkville does not satisfy the residency requirements for the CPO. Adler does. I called the CPO and was told that they have a great number of candidates for Psychological Associate who have graduated from Adler. 

It also takes a LOT of time to become registered (4 years I believe). Since they've only been open since 2011, it's unreasonable to gauge their success as a school by how many have registered. There has not been enough time. There is one graduate who has made it to registration thus far and there are a lot of graduates who are close behind. Again, as per the CPO, the school is producing candidates.