Any Fall 2013 Clinical Psych PhD Applicants Out There?

Psychgeek

I'm done with all of them except for one school that says they haven't received my GRE scores that I sent in the beginning of November. Luckily their deadline is the 15th. I'm so glad to be done, but I know the wait is going to be grueling! I've been thinking about buying Rosetta Stone in order to distract myself and avoid repeatedly refreshing my email 24/7.

Yup... I also finished all but one of my applications last week (most relaxing Thanksgiving break I've ever had). Unfortunately, I only have my job to distract myself--- but it only makes me more excited to hear back. I think all my schools will be contacting people for interviews at the end of January. It seems so close, yet so far. :( Some days I feel opitmistic, some days I feel very pessimistic. It's a rollercoaster.

Yup... I also finished all but one of my applications last week (most relaxing Thanksgiving break I've ever had). Unfortunately, I only have my job to distract myself--- but it only makes me more excited to hear back. I think all my schools will be contacting people for interviews at the end of January. It seems so close, yet so far. :( Some days I feel opitmistic, some days I feel very pessimistic. It's a rollercoaster.

I must say, I couldnt agree more with the rollercoaster feelings. Some days, I think that I am going to have multiple interviews, on others, I'm looking for Full time RA jobs. Let's hope that all of this worry ends up being worth it!

I think one of the hardest parts is that so few people understand how competitive it is. I only applied to 3 schools... which should be interesting. But in the end, I honestly would try one or two more times before I went to my 4th choice. If it's been a couple years, I'll probably be more inclusive. How was everyones luck contacting POIs?

I heard back from 10 of the 15 I contacted. Only one of those said they weren't talking. Just hoping the other 5 are taking students. Only 3 schools? I don't have the confidence in myself for that...nor enough confidence in the process.

I think one of the hardest parts is that so few people understand how competitive it is. I only applied to 3 schools... which should be interesting. But in the end, I honestly would try one or two more times before I went to my 4th choice. If it's been a couple years, I'll probably be more inclusive. How was everyones luck contacting POIs?

Just wondering if you had a reason why you applied only to 3 places? Such as connections, experience working with the POI etc.

Just wondering if you had a reason why you applied only to 3 places? Such as connections, experience working with the POI etc.

Good question. It's sort of a mixture of both connections and working with a POI. But mainly it's because I know what I would like to study and I have a good idea of the type of environment and people I want to work with. There were also other things I took into consideration such as career placement after graduation and also that I would rather apply one or two more times before accepting an offer somewhere that didn't feel like the "right" fit. I'm definitely looking for the experience/knowledge/skills rather than doing it just of the sake of getting those three magical letters after my name. I'm certainly taking a risk, but I've accepted it and I'm okay with that :)

Edited by PeppermintMocha

Emotional roller coaster is exactly what I'm feeling right now. I feel like my life has been consumed by the application process for so many months now that I'm not sure what to do with the extra time. Some days I feel confident that I'll be hearing back for at least a couple of interviews, and other days I've convinced myself I might as well go apply at Target. :-P

Best of luck to all of you in the next couple of months, unless of course you've applied to the same programs as me ;) haha

Last night I panicked and started developing my plans for if I don't get into grad school this round (my first) :-). Today I'm too tired to care. Tomorrow I'll probably decide I'll get interviews at all 12 places I applied. I can't figure out the best approach for the next month or two- denial (which probably goes hand-in-hand with large quantities of wine), false self-assurance, or admitting defeat and developing an awesome back-up plan. Sigh.

So today has been an exceptionally worrisome day for me, out of curiosity how are you all coping with the stress? I try to distract but that tends to be futile. I'm still looking for the best way to cope with the anxiety associated with this anticipation.

So today has been an exceptionally worrisome day for me, out of curiosity how are you all coping with the stress? I try to distract but that tends to be futile. I'm still looking for the best way to cope with the anxiety associated with this anticipation.

As probably untrue as it is, I feel like the more knowledge I have about something the more in control I am, so I've spent my last several months reading all of these boards as well as the student doctor network relating with people who understand exactly what I'm going through. If you haven't checked out the "Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school" forum under the "waiting it out" page, you definitely should :)

...(which probably goes hand-in-hand with large quantities of wine)...

This reminds me that I should replenish my supply...

As probably untrue as it is, I feel like the more knowledge I have about something the more in control I am, so I've spent my last several months reading all of these boards as well as the student doctor network relating with people who understand exactly what I'm going through. If you haven't checked out the "Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school" forum under the "waiting it out" page, you definitely should :)

I'm the same way for coping. Also, I've been trying to take one more projects at work... but I'm always thinking about it in the back of my head :P

I've been sleeping a lot, eating junk food, and driving my friends crazy with mood swings. So I'm really not one to ask about coping with the stress :-). Although to be fair to myself, I'm also in a master's program and getting pummeled with end-of-term projects as well as my thesis proposal presentation next week. Grad school apps are just the icing on the cake!

Although if the stress/anxiety really IS getting to you, you could look into some behavioral stress management techniques like progressive muscle relaxation and guided imagery and spend a few minutes each day practicing them. It's going to be a tough few months for all of us, and having some of those tools in your toolbox probably wouldn't hurt :-)

I'm done with all of them except for one school that says they haven't received my GRE scores that I sent in the beginning of November. Luckily their deadline is the 15th. I'm so glad to be done, but I know the wait is going to be grueling! I've been thinking about buying Rosetta Stone in order to distract myself and avoid repeatedly refreshing my email 24/7.

I see you are applying to FSU. May I ask who you apply to? That's where I got my UG degree. I am pretty familiar with the profs there.

I finished all of my Dec 1st applications, which happened to be all my first-choice places so it's a load off. After working on all the application crap for so long, I feel weirdly accomplished. I've been out of school for a while and I've always talked about going back and now I'm actually making progress on that! I'll ride those good feelings for a little while until the inevitable impatience of "hearing back" creeps in...

I started yoga while I was in the thick of things in terms of applications. That was super helpful! I highly recommend it for stress reduction. But I definitely had a miniature freak-out when I got a call from a random number today... it was just spam.

I started yoga while I was in the thick of things in terms of applications. That was super helpful! I highly recommend it for stress reduction. But I definitely had a miniature freak-out when I got a call from a random number today... it was just spam.

This sounds like a great idea. I think exercise is a good way to actively cope with the stress and stop all the bad habbits! Although chances are I wont do yoga, going to the gym to lift or run is something I think I'm going to get back into. Ive actually attempted to learn the area codes for my schools so that calls from spammers dont freak me out!

I've already checked the "Results Search" portion of Grad Cafe at least 4 times today. Even though there aren't ANY Clinical Psych/Science program results being posted yet. I even went through last year's clinical psych results to see an approximation of when I might hear back from my schools.

Yep, going a bit insane.

I think I'm going to take all of your advice and drink a lot of wine and resume doing yoga. Probably not at the same time.

I see you are applying to FSU. May I ask who you apply to? That's where I got my UG degree. I am pretty familiar with the profs there.

I'm applying to Dr. Joiner (#1) and Dr. Keel (#2). What, you've got the scoop on them? (Any scoop would be appreciated, hahaha).

I've already checked the "Results Search" portion of Grad Cafe at least 4 times today. Even though there aren't ANY Clinical Psych/Science program results being posted yet. I even went through last year's clinical psych results to see an approximation of when I might hear back from my schools.

Yep, going a bit insane.

No Worries. I've already done the same thing :) I'm trying to pick up as many things as possible at work to keep me super busy (even on weekends). It's going to take a lot to push this to the back of my head so this will probably be a super productive couple months... Unless I really can't stop thinking about it. Then it will be super UN-productive.

In the end, this may be a very stressful holiday season.