Any Fall 2013 Clinical Psych PhD Applicants Out There?

Psychgeek

I'm applying to Dr. Joiner (#1) and Dr. Keel (#2). What, you've got the scoop on them? (Any scoop would be appreciated, hahaha).

After I posted, I assumed that you may look into suicide and eating disorder research (Miami, OH- April Smith? She's Joiner's ex graduate student. And so seem some of the other's on your list? Maybe?)

I have been a UG RA in the Joiner lab where I coordinated a study for 10 months while the graduate PI was on clinical internship. I also know a few of his graduate students or ex-students as a result. I hear he's rather hands-off but available when you need assistance. He is also very fast in responding to any correspondence. But not necessarily out to spend a lot of time with graduate students unless they want to meet/see him. His graduate students get a lot of pubs and often seem to find jobs in academia upon graduating from FSU.

Haven't worked w/ Keel. I cannot say much about her mentorship style. Although, I know one of the grad students in the Joiner lab, actually also is advised/mentored by Dr. Keel (EatingDisorders and its association to suicidal behavior/ideation).

The campus here is beautiful, really outstanding IMO. Tallahassee can get a little boring, esp. if you are used to a metropolitan area. But all things nature-related are abundant and fantastic. But in all honesty, in grad school, we all are going to be very busy anyway... ;) Let me know if you have more questions about Tallahassee or other faculty.

After I posted, I assumed that you may look into suicide and eating disorder research (Miami, OH- April Smith? She's Joiner's ex graduate student. And so seem some of the other's on your list? Maybe?)

I have been a UG RA in the Joiner lab where I coordinated a study for 10 months while the graduate PI was on clinical internship. I also know a few of his graduate students or ex-students as a result. I hear he's rather hands-off but available when you need assistance. He is also very fast in responding to any correspondence. But not necessarily out to spend a lot of time with graduate students unless they want to meet/see him. His graduate students get a lot of pubs and often seem to find jobs in academia upon graduating from FSU.

Haven't worked w/ Keel. I cannot say much about her mentorship style. Although, I know one of the grad students in the Joiner lab, actually also is advised/mentored by Dr. Keel (EatingDisorders and its association to suicidal behavior/ideation).

The campus here is beautiful, really outstanding IMO. Tallahassee can get a little boring, esp. if you are used to a metropolitan area. But all things nature-related are abundant and fantastic. But in all honesty, in grad school, we all are going to be very busy anyway... ;) Let me know if you have more questions about Tallahassee or other faculty.

Yup, that's my research interest and who I'm applying to at Miami. I've noticed many people I'm applying to are his ex-grad students, its kind of funny in a way. Thank you for the info! I'm glad to hear he's not a tyrant or anything. I'm afraid I'll love a school and program, but my PI would be just horrible. I guess I've read too many grad school horror stories.

Where I'm going to school there is only 30K people in the entire town and its rural, so I'm sure Tallahassee would be awesome in comparison. :lol:

This is my second time applying and even though my credentials have been seriously boosted, I'm going crazy. I second guess myself every day (based primarilly on my pathetic GRE Quant score- math has been a lifelong struggle for me, and always will be). At least I have a backup plan. I'm an RA employed on a pretty big landmark PTSD study and I'm contracted through the year but I'm certain the study will go longer so barring any unforseen mishap, I'm pretty sure my contract would get renwed. I hope it doesn't come to that though- I'm ready to get this Doctorate going!!

On 12/13/2012 at 10:40 AM, newjerseypsyc32 said:

Kmurrin, what are you research interests/where are you applying. Mines in PTSD so that's why I ask. You can pm me if you'd prefer that

My primary interests are PTSD, adolesence, and psychotherapy research. I'm applying to the major universities in Texas, where I'm located (UT, UNT, Baylor, TAMU-who I'm employed through, U of H, Tech, & SHSU for their forensic program). I'm also applying to some schools on the west coast (UCLA, UCSD, palo alto, pepperdine, pacific, montana), and LIU brooklyn, wustl, rutgers, and UNC. I think thats all of them? I worked in a psychotherapy research lab when i was getting my masters, which is where I developed that interest, and in working on this project at Ft. Hood I've become interested in PTSD too. I want to study outcome using a dynamic approach to treatment as opposed to the traditional CBT route. What about you?

Haven't heard anything yet either. In the past the University of Southern California has sent out invites 12/15 - 12/19 so I'm getting pretty impatient to hear back from them. The rest of my schools tend to give invites to interviews around mid-January as well...

Well we have rutgers in common. Otherwise all different actually. My research interest is more of stress, coping, and PTSD. I also have an interest in how stress and coping integrate into cardiovascular functioning (worked in multiple labs) so im applying to a mix of behavioral medicine focused individuals and PTSD. Sounds like some interesting stuff, just wanted to see. Im guessing if your at fort. hood then your on the Foa PTSD study, I saw some posting on usa jobs about that study. Good luck!

Well we have rutgers in common. Otherwise all different actually. My research interest is more of stress, coping, and PTSD. I also have an interest in how stress and coping integrate into cardiovascular functioning (worked in multiple labs) so im applying to a mix of behavioral medicine focused individuals and PTSD. Sounds like some interesting stuff, just wanted to see. Im guessing if your at fort. hood then your on the Foa PTSD study, I saw some posting on usa jobs about that study. Good luck!

not really sure what the Foa study is- I'm working for STRONG STAR for the UT Health Science Center and the Root Cause study for TAMU. Our soldiers are always running back and forth from project to project, so I know there are a lot of studies here. It's certainly a place with plenty of data to mine!

not really sure what the Foa study is- I'm working for STRONG STAR for the UT Health Science Center and the Root Cause study for TAMU. Our soldiers are always running back and forth from project to project, so I know there are a lot of studies here. It's certainly a place with plenty of data to mine!

Looks likes a great study and Edna foa is one of the principal investigators of the study I saw some RA postings for her part of the studies

I know from my grad student liaison that the first few answers should arrive right before Christmas. But many will come in around early/mid January. In fact, one of my POI @ Case Western told me they have all the answers out by mid january. So it depends; also on when the respective school's deadline for applications was.

Also, here is a link that might be interesting for all here (or a reason to get even more anxious?)

clinical psychology grad school admission results

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=clinical+psychology&t=a&pp=100&o=p&p=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I heard back Friday from Case Western! I have an interview in February, but the POI wants to talk via phone tomorrow! Yikes haha. I feel so underpreparred!

Also received an instant no from Michigan State (the second day they were back from break, ouch).

7 more schools yet to hear from!

Hi everyone! Doesn't look like I will get in anywhere the first round. Its harsh but try, try again!

I wonder: would taking some post-graduate courses help?

To everyone who made it, my most sincere wishes for a great journey!

For those that did not, please do not give up!!